Students who did not do well in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

StillAlive

HSC
How many students do you know who didn't do well in the HSC (depending on your definition) but are getting HDs at university? How could this happen?

How many students do you know who did well in the HSC (99+ ATAR, state ranks, etc) but aren't doing well at university? How could this happen?

Kymren

HSC
I don't know about all subjects but it is possible in English.
My uncles an English lecturer at UNE. He said that the people who do really good at English at school don't always do well in university, because the courses are different. the course at university is an English course while the course we do at school is essentially a media studies course.
A couple times he tried to help me in English and it didn't work. The teacher didn't understand what I was saying and said I hadn't analysed the text?
My uncle now refuses to help me!:lol:

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
How many students do you know who didn't do well in the HSC (depending on your definition) but are getting HDs at university? How could this happen?

How many students do you know who did well in the HSC (99+ ATAR, state ranks, etc) but aren't doing well at university? How could this happen?
Well, I do know people who didn't do that well in HSC, but are doing well in uni. But it's not in those Go8 uni's.

If you're in a Go8 uni, don't expect to get HD's and D's if you haven't excelled in high school. As in Go8 uni's they usually have a bell curve in terms of grades. By limiting the HD and D to a certain percentage of people.And usually a lot of the high achieves do flock to go8 uni's, making you highly unlikely to change over and get the HD's and D's if you've already started on the wrong footing ie. low atar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
The above scenarios are the exception. The great majority of students who did well in the HSC will continue to do well at uni, and vice-versa for students who didn't do well. Obviously this is subjective as someone who is achieving Credit might think they are doing well, whereas someone achieving Distinctions might not think they are doing well.

enoilgam

HSC
The above scenarios are the exception. The great majority of students who did well in the HSC will continue to do well at uni, and vice-versa for students who didn't do well. Obviously this is subjective as someone who is achieving Credit might think they are doing well, whereas someone achieving Distinctions might not think they are doing well.
Couldnt agree more with this post. A lot of people are of the mentality that HS doesnt help at all with uni but I dont think this is completely true. Even though Uni is harder and faster than the HSC, there is still a high degree of crossover in terms of soft skills. Having good study habits, time management skills, organisational skills and an understanding of how to work efficiently are all needed for success in the HSC and Uni.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I did really crappy in VCE; I do alright at uni... :)

then again, my mindset changed completely after VCE...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

My brother would be an example of the first category. He hated the academic side of school and did nothing the whole time (ATAR 59.6), but he did manage to do Ds/HDs in his last year and a half of uni because I think he actually did some work. But also cause he could just do his computer stuff which he was good at.

I've seen the opposite scenario as well, mainly when people go into degrees not related to what they excelled at in school OR people just not having any drive for their degree(some subs are completely different at uni) or massive life circumstances.

Lina3

HSC
In theory, it is possible for a student who didn't do all that well in the HSC to do well in Uni. However, if your study habits are bad to begin with, it probably won't happen from your very first assignment. I've heard of a girl who got an ATAR in the 60's, but is now getting all-round HD's. Having said that, she dropped out of Uni twice before she found something she really wanted to do. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to how much you like what you do. If a person hated the subjects they picked (or their parents forced them to pick) for the HSC and got a relatively low ATAR but got to Uni and became really passionate about the degree they were doing, I don't see why the wouldn't be able to do well.

Kittikhun

HSC
Yeah, it's all about motivation towards a certain subject.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Oh so so many. People take courses because mommy and daddy told them to and chose courses that are completely out of their range because "hurr dont waste ATAR."

I had a terrible ATAR but I'm on a 70+ WAM at UNSW

stgeorge2

HSC
Received an ATAR of 62, currently have GPA of 4 out of 4 and HD average (87 WAM).

Macquarie Uni.
You are awesome!! Well I didn't do too bad in the HSC, and now I am completely ****ed in uni, failed 1 mid term exam,failed 1 math quiz, completely forget about another math assignment, and I don't know, I think I am just screwed up.

Lina3

HSC
You are awesome!! Well I didn't do too bad in the HSC, and now I am completely ****ed in uni, failed 1 mid term exam,failed 1 math quiz, completely forget about another math assignment, and I don't know, I think I am just screwed up.
Don't worry, there are quite a few people I know that are in this situation. I think for most, it just takes a while to get used to the learning style of uni.

For me it turned out the other way around, I got an unremarkable ATAR (in the 80's) and now averaging HD for three out of four of my subjects at Usyd. Of course still have exams to go...and if I don't do well it will certainly go down. So going to a public school where I pretty much had no-one to rely on but myself seemed to have paid off :p

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This. This. This.

For me, if I like the subject, I will do well in it - if I hate it, it will be the anchor.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm only in first sem, but uni is pretty much the same thing as the HSC, just on a larger scale.

Though they mark harsher. You can still cram, but not like HSC where you can do the night or two before and still get b5/b6.

Gr1ff1n

HSC
For someone that received a low atar with the 40's. It's possible. You need to work though to achieve it. At the moment I have a HD average over three Computer Science units and a Distinction over another one.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I did alright in the HSC; but now I am doing even better because I learnt my mistakes from the hsc and what works for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)