Studies of Religion Marathon (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
wm_abusef said:
Correct me if I am wrong Snapper, but the Charismatic Movement, wouldn't that have actually originated within the more established traditions first? So it's not just the Pentecostal church (which should actually be considered more of a "result" of the charismatic movement?)

Considering its a movement, it would have been part of the outbreaks that were seen within the Catholic and Anglican churches for example, as people started to take on the greater charismatic style of worship, dedication and belief (in the gifts of the Holy Spirit etc)
true....my history is a little foggy but the CM was a result of members from within established churches (mainly catholic I think) doing the Pentecostal thing but not being "pentecostals". (becuase of the sacraments issue)

The CM still exists today but not in the main churches (they have become separate entities) as such as the CM was seen as a bit "strange"->hybrid of traditional and Pentecostal

Im 99% sure the pentecostal movement was first (its around 100 years old in Australia give or take) and the CM came to prominence around the middle of last century (thats sounds so long a go!)

I wish I had my Year 12 notes at hand as I had all the dates etc.

Will try and find my notes so I dont sound like an idiot!
Never the less, it is two separate things but most people only talk about one but the syllabus mentions two

edit
Cant remember where these are from (an inservice I went to??) but
Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement

Modern Pentecostalism began as a series of independent revivals in various parts of the world in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The most influential was the Azusa Street revival in Los Angeles in 1906, although the first reported instances of speaking in tongues in Australia occurred as early as 1870.

The key distinctive beliefs of Pentecostalism have been:
➢ a belief that speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of being baptised with the Holy Spirit (some Pentecostal scholars are questioning this belief today); the baptism of the Spirit is generally seen as an experience separate from one's conversion to Christ
➢ The validity for today of the supernatural gifts that existed in the New Testament church, such as speaking in tongues, prophecy, divine healing and interpretation of tongues (you can read about these in 1 Corinthians, chapters 12 and 14 in the New Testament)
➢ A belief by many that the second coming of Jesus Christ is soon to take place.

In most other respects, Pentecostals hold to traditional Protestant beliefs, such as belief in the Bible as God's word, the need for personal salvation, the need to produce evidence of one's salvation by holy living, and the belief that Jesus' death on the cross was to bear the punishment for people's sins.

Pentecostal services tend to be less structured, have greater freedom of worship, involve more members of the congregation, use more contemporary music and be more aggressively evangelistic than those in traditional churches.

Until the 1960s, traditional churches tended to be suspicious of Pentecostal churches, particularly over the issue of speaking in tongues (sometimes called ‘glossolalia').

In the 1960s and 1970s, thousands of traditional, non-Pentecostal churches, both Protestant and Catholic, experienced outbreaks of Pentecostalism. This led to a radical re-evaluation of the role of 'spiritual gifts' in many churches. This spread of Pentecostalism into traditional churches is called 'Neo Pentecostalism, or the Charismatic Movement.

Both Pentecostal churches (eg. the Assemblies of God) and charismatic churches experienced rapid growth from the 1960s to the 1980s, often at the expense of churches that had not embraced the new movement. There are signs that this growth is tapering off at present, although large city churches are experiencing continued growth.

Some religious revivals in Aboriginal communities have been Pentecostal in character.

Pentecostal churches and, to some extent, charismatic churches, have benefited more than other churches from denominational switching.

Key aspects of Pentecostalism and the charismatic movement that have contributed to the diversity of worship in Australia have been:

➢ the importance of religious experience, as well as belief, in the life of the believer
➢ more involvement of lay people
➢ less formality in worship (no written liturgy, no vestments, often no set order of service, the freedom to move and raise hands in worship)
➢ more contemporary styles of music
➢ an emphasis on youth (eg. huge musical events such as Youth Alive concerts).
Now, back to the game :)

Last edited:

Charli-lou

HSC
sorry to incite all this confusion guys...
i meant to ask the question:

identify two significant characteristics of the Pentecostal movement.

this was a question from a 2003 sample paper and i must have gotten confused as the charismatic movement and Pentecostalism have alot of the same characteristics...however the Charismatic movement began in the 1960's and Pentecostalism is now a variant/denomination of Christianity...

HSC
Charli-lou said:
sorry to incite all this confusion guys...
i meant to ask the question:

identify two significant characteristics of the Pentecostal movement.

this was a question from a 2003 sample paper and i must have gotten confused as the charismatic movement and Pentecostalism have alot of the same characteristics...however the Charismatic movement began in the 1960's and Pentecostalism is now a variant/denomination of Christianity...

yeah they pretty much have the same characteristics..the only difference is

- pentecostalism is a denomination
- the charismatic movement in found within heaps of the main denominations (some Catholics, Anglicans, Uniting Church etc)

so i dont think u can go wrong with saying they have the same features such as stressing the gifts of the holy spirit like speaking in tongues (glossolalia), modern instruments such as electric guitar, drums, dancing, clapping, raising hands..yeah all that jazz

next question: (from 2005 paper..i have no idea)
Explain how people with a non-religious perspective may find significance in events such as Christmas and wedding ceremonies which originate from religious traditions

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
joeyjojoshabado said:
- pentecostalism is a denomination
Again, 'cause Im anal...be careful describing 'Pentecostal' as a denomination as its not.

Its a variant (of Christianity) and the egs of denominations (sub-branches of variants) include 4 square gospel, Hillsong, all those weird little happy clappy churches that operate out of schools etc etc

Its kind of like saying "Protestant" and Catholic" are denominations when they are variants with multiple sub-branches (I blame the ABS for all this incorrect terminology-stupid mathematicians)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
sorry charlie-lou.. i dont do 2unit sor.. so cant answer that question

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
joeyjojoshabado said:
sorry!..1unit it is..

..the role of religious traditions in the depression??

(pardon my ignorance snapperhead!! :))
Uuuuuuuuuum
Only know stuff about Christians.
Sectarianism was evident: however churches as a whole made an extra effort to extend a helping hand to those in need. Catholics supported Labour governments tariffs and duties, saw the Labour party as a "Party for the Catholics" and cause of this Protestants believed the Labour gov was irresponsible financially, lol. Oh and the church as a whole was affected, lower paid/unpaid clergy and the paid staffage were cut. Church helped the unemployed and some churches gathered food, clothing, and Christmas gifts for needy in the area. However it was churches such as the Salvation Army, St Vincent de Paul, Central missions and City Missions that held large scale operations that collected food and clothing, set up homeless shelters and soup kitchens.

Influence of the Australian Landscape on Christianity

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Dont see anything wrong with 2 unit only questions so long as they are identified as such

re traditions

Other religions *tended* to stick to their own but they did do stuff, just for their own communities.
JUST GOTTA REMEMBER TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY WERE DOING STUFF EVEN IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT WAS!!
Macquarie has some good stuff on this though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)