studies that allow me to major in game theory (1 Viewer)

davidyin92

HSC
i wanted to work in the area of "game theory". it says economics. but i just wanted to confirm this.

rx34

HSC
Well, I just did the first year mandatory economics courses and in Microeconomics, there is a a chapter or two about oligopoly game theory, nash equilibrium, prison dilemma, etc. However, it is covered in very small detail in first year. No idea about second year. So perhaps the other people could add on.

LordPc

HSC
game theory is part of mathematics

im sure you can study it in economics, but its not restricted to that field

"it says economics"

what exactly does the "it" refer to in this context?

kfnmpah

HSC
I'm fair sure there's a course at UTS that has something to do with gaming or... something

I'm the least game-y person you'll ever meet, so don't quote me on that, but have a look in UAC's course search (Y)

danielvh

HSC
As has been mentioned - mathematics and/or economics. Are you more interested in it theoretically or in application?

Don't know of anywhere where you can major in game theory and this is probably a good thing as it's really quite specific. There are likely to be very very few graduate level jobs where you can work as a 'game theorist'.

Note that I personally love game theory. I went on exchange to the University of Bristol partly because Ken Binmore teaches a game theory course there. He's the guy who designed the UK, Denmark, Israel etc 3G auctions, and is well known as one of THE game theorists out there.

starkskyy

HSC
this is davidyin92 here (the guy who posted the question)

i'm more interested in its application to society. so then, would it be better to do it through a maths course or an economics course - any recommendations?

as for the "it" --i was reading wikipedia =]

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
It depends on you're interests, you will have to do heaps of calculus, analysis, etc if you decide to do a maths degree (and will only get to do a few courses related directly to game theory), and if you decide to do straight economics, there will probably be only one or two upper subjects titled 'game theory' (allthough parts of game theory is usually covered in a section of each of the microeconomic theory subjects).

But ether way you wont get to do pure, and proper, game theory until the later stages of ugrad, and you will need a good understanding of mathimatics if you take grad level game theory courses.

But It seems rather odd that you already know you want to do 'game theory'...and it's not an industry you 'work in', rather an area of research.

Anyway you might want to look into the ANU science degree which offers a major in mathimatical economics, or UNSW economincs/mathimatics, or Melb Uni BCom (major in economics) with breadth in mathimatics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)