Study guide! (1 Viewer)

olegna

HSC
Anyone have any suggestions for a good study guide for Religion?

The guide should be adequate to use as a guide in studying for the Trials.

It would be great if someone who has actually bought a guide and used it could comment on their experiences and what is a good guide.

Thanks in advance!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
olegna said:
Anyone have any suggestions for a good study guide for Religion?

The guide should be adequate to use as a guide in studying for the Trials.

It would be great if someone who has actually bought a guide and used it could comment on their experiences and what is a good guide.

Thanks in advance!
Syllabus+your own notes=best guide you can use
ie make your own notes as you can understand them better then a commercial guide/textbook

try the resources section on BoS for suggestions/examples (off the main page)

There are no commercial studyguides for SOR available unless you consider Excell a studyguide and its crap (the 3 months one I mean)

Maybe Macquarie could be your solution given that you give the impression of wanting the easy way out (ie buying notes instead of making notes)?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
i use the macquarie one as a supplment to my teacher and use them both to make my own notes.

-- works a charm. the Macquarie one has the detail and specifics that SoR essays and responses require :)

olegna

HSC
My predicament is this: I am not the type who absorbs what I write; I learn only from reading or listening. In the beginning term of my HSC year, I was not as dedicated to studying or paying attention in class as I definitely should have. I am not looking for the easy way out: study guides just suit me better.

Does anyone else recommend the Macquarie one also? Any others that people have had good experiences with?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
There are 6 specific SOR textbooks available.

1) Living Religion by Mudge et al...good but expensive
2) Exploring Religion by ?? (cant remember)...not as good as Living Religion but just as expensive
3) Macquarie SOR book by Jon Noble and Patricia Haywood...excellent as it follows the syllabus by headings (and Patricia and Jon really know their stuff as they have been heavily involved in SOR from a BOS POV!!)
Two Excel books-
4) SOR in 3 months- crap, dont buy it, not worth the paper its printed on
5) Excel SOR book- author?? OK but typical of the Excel range
6) Studies of Religion by Terry Lovatt from Social Science Press- again good but simple

There are one or two more also available that, with a little syllabus work, can be made to work with the current syllabus (one is from Qld's version of SOR and the other is from Vic. )
Cant remember their names but I think the Vic. one is just called "Studies of Religion"???

I would recommend Macquarie as its the most affordable of the lot (approx. $25 from Dymocks etc) followed by Lovatt's book.

I love Mudges book but with a term to go, dont know how financially viable it is

Be aware that the SOR course has changed and you might not be able to get your hands on the right textbooks for the current HSC except for Macquarie as their new one comes out in term 4.

DONT BUY A TEXT AIMED AT THE NEW HSC AS IT WONT BE VERY HELPFUL TO YOU!!!

Like I said, try the resources section here on BoS

hope this helps...sorry, didnt mean to imply that your were looking for the easy way out but we get a lot of people on here who just sign up to ask for stuff and your posting history up to your initial post counts in SOR (9) kind of were just asking for stuff so I thought the worst!

toohey

HSC
Hi,
Was the Mudge book rewritten for the new SOR Syllabus ?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
if your talking about the Living Religion 2nd edition book by Mudge et al... hmm we got that book this year but were told that they weren't suitable for the new course. unless of course they made a new edition then you could probably safely assume that it is for the new syllabus.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
toohey said:
Hi,
Was the Mudge book rewritten for the new SOR Syllabus ?
yes...its a green book with a tree on it. The 2nd edition has a sunflower (from memory) on the cover.

YOu can use 2nd edition for the new (Yr 11) course if you use it in conjunction with a syllabus. It just means that you will be all over the book Vs chapter by chapter as the information hasnt changed, just the structure (new course only has two brand new units of work- the rest is for the most part from the current syllabus (2001)

Mooseman

Forum Feral
HSC
A good study guide? Get together with 2-3 people who are capable of working together without distracting various members. Answer every syl point in detail and then do all your past papers 3-4 times. The most important point is not to be content to "mostly" know a point.

Also my teacher just printed off examples of band 1-6 answer so you know what your up against. Even though it was on Jewdaism and Xianity (I'm doing Hinduism and Xianity) it was a life saver and has probably motivated me more than anything to get my answers up to band 6 level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)