study habits- how did you guys do it??? (1 Viewer)

mazarina211

HSC
hey all,
i got my hsc in 2006 and was wondering how did u guys study??
did u cram?
did u not leave ur room an lock yourself in for like 6hrs?
and what did u guys do about distraction? i mean, when u get distracted from study, how did u get back on track?

maz

P

pLuvia

Maths
- Do lots of questions
- Practice exams
- Read ahead in the maths book

English
- Practice essay writing
- Learn techniques etc

Japanese or Languages in general
- Learn vocabulary
- Use as much structures as possible in tests to maximise marks

Chemistry
- Learn syllabus dot points
- Take a lot of notes, revise them

You don't have to study 6 hours to do well, just effective studying. To not get distracted turn off all the distractions eg computer, music. Or simply just go to the library

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you're doing any of the other sciences, namely physics, biology, and senior science, just do the same thing as chemistry as pLuvia said.

i mean, when u get distracted from study, how did u get back on track?
To get back on track, i usually remind myself of what i am working for, and that is to achieve the UAI that i need and want.

mazarina211

HSC
subjetcs:
eng adv
general maths
ancient hist
ext hist
religion 2 unit
business
biology
= 14 units

do u guys think 14 units is too much, i was thinking of dropping business but last yr i did really wel in business i dun know
wat do u guys think?

P

pLuvia

14 units give you 4 units of back up if you screw up your subjects. I did 13 units at the beginning of year 12 then dropped to 11 units, because I found the work load to be too much.

If 14 units is too much for you, then I advise you to drop. If you were to drop something drop the subject your doing worst at that way you won't be wasting your time with it

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Those subjects arent as heavy as yours, pLuvia.
14 units is a lot. Just relax, we're all in the same boat so dont get so paranoid over studying. I only do 2 hours a day.

Watch out for people who do 60 hrs a week. They do exist.

sam_account

HSC
Hsc Advise

my advise is always try to remain focused... remove all distractions from the room, like pc + radio + tv etc...

u need to keep urself motivated...like i stuck pieces of paper with my aims like "uai aim", "marks that i aimed for in each subject" etc... near my study desk.

also, u need to have an idea of what uai ur course needs, coz i know a lot of ppl who aimed for 90 and got it, but at the end they're like "what now"? i mean if ur course is 91, then 90 is useless 2 u, so set urself goals

i would say this for study hrs:

monday-thursday >>>> 4-5 hrs each day
friday>>>> 2-3 hrs (take a break on friday)
sat-sun >>>>> 6hrs each day

this is what i followed and ended up with a 2005 uai of 98.35 , so i hope my advise will be sumwhat helpful to 06ers'

PS: don't bludge in school, pay attention in class + study at home = very good uai

hope that helps

.ben

HSC
My HSC advice: some things are more important in life

klaw

HSC
mazarina211 said:
hey all,
i got my hsc in 2006 and was wondering how did u guys study??
did u cram?
did u not leave ur room an lock yourself in for like 6hrs?
and what did u guys do about distraction? i mean, when u get distracted from study, how did u get back on track?

maz
The library is the best. You can't do anything except work, coz if you make any noise the whole library would stare and growl at you. I'm planning on going regularly next term, as I just can't do anything at home.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The library is not only a great place to study, but also a very useful resource for researching your assignments. Make the most of it. ;)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
sam_account said:
u need to keep urself motivated...like i stuck pieces of paper with my aims like "uai aim", "marks that i aimed for in each subject" etc... near my study desk.
That is one of the best pieces of advise you could give 2006 HSC students as when you are feeling down it helps to look at the goal and aim towards it at least you know what your working towards when you lose sight along the way.....and it makes you look smart & shows you have set goals and plans for the future. :)

P

pLuvia

sam_account said:
my advise is always try to remain focused... remove all distractions from the room, like pc + radio + tv etc...

also, u need to have an idea of what uai ur course needs, coz i know a lot of ppl who aimed for 90 and got it, but at the end they're like "what now"? i mean if ur course is 91, then 90 is useless 2 u, so set urself goals

i would say this for study hrs:

monday-thursday >>>> 4-5 hrs each day
friday>>>> 2-3 hrs (take a break on friday)
sat-sun >>>>> 6hrs each day

this is what i followed and ended up with a 2005 uai of 98.35 , so i hope my advise will be sumwhat helpful to 06ers'

PS: don't bludge in school, pay attention in class + study at home = very good uai

hope that helps
I'll try and follow that studying timetable :) thanks Sam and congrats

P

pLuvia

Smart_Dunce said:
Those subjects arent as heavy as yours, pLuvia.
14 units is a lot. Just relax, we're all in the same boat so dont get so paranoid over studying. I only do 2 hours a day.

Watch out for people who do 60 hrs a week. They do exist.
Is it? lol, I didn't realise

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i usually study weeks before i have an exam. i do it when im fresh and look at past questions and answers to see how i should go about in answering the questions. generally just do all your hw, ask ur teachers for questions to do and try your hardest to pay attenstion in class. and also studying in libarey helps a lot as you dont have a lot of distractions and drink a lot of water !.

edit: i get distracted a lot also, but moreso because i get board very easily so don't worry about it so much, you be fine =) good luck ...

Last edited:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
i heard at one of those study workshop thingys that sticking to a timetable is a negative motivation to study..

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Timetables are impossible to stick to. My suggestion is to relax (but not too much). I probably spent about 6 hours a week on hw and study and still managed a 92.3. Just chillax because it really creeps out the ppl around you.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I have never used a study timetable in my life.

And i'm never going to rely on one ever.

I rely on myself. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)