• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Study Help - Economics Degree (1 Viewer)

kazss11

HSC
N/A
Hey, Well i've started my economics degree at USYD and it's quite a lot to take on and it's only the 1st week.
Basically I am doing;

Macroeconomics
Economics and Business Stats A
Commercial Transactions
Accounting 1A.

Just got a few questions,

Firstly how do you acheive HD's? I know it means work, work and work but what do any older student's advise?

Does anybody else have any tips on the maths involved in the subjects? I have started the maths learning centre and PASS but what's it like?

Also how are the electives? how did everyone find them prevously?

I'm just looking for general help as a new student.

Thanks guys and girls

Shukie

HSC
HD's are extremely hard to get...i'm sure people have told you this before but uni really is different from high school, if you're used to getting in the 80-90 range in high school, don't be too disappointed if that's not the case now because the amount of work you have to put in to get this at uni is phenomenal...you basically need to know the course inside out, do well on all your assessments and then ace the final...it's more than just regurgitating the stuff in exams or assessments, you have to show you understand the reasoning behind the theories and usually you show this by using the reasoning to apply the theory to situations which aren't 'textbook'...anyone can rote learn the stuff, but that will get you a CR, maybe a D...HDs are hard to get, but not impossible, so i'd say work really hard and make sure you don't just rote learn, really understand why you do things and if you have any questions abt the course, get them sorted out soon rather than leave it till the end thinkin that it'll click...

Maths involved in accounting and economics is very basic, add, subtract, multiply, divide...no complex equations to remember...it's probably the theory which is trickier because you need to know what figures you want to use, once you know what you need then it's pretty straightforward from there...ECMT on the other hand requires a bit higher level of maths, but nothin terribly complicated, if you did 2U you should be fine...

Depending on what electives you intend on doing and where your interests are will affect how well you fare in them...what is easy for one person might be someone else's worst nightmare...i did electives in comm law, int'l business, philosophy, ancient history and psychology and i loved them all =) hope that sheds a bit of light on it...good luck and hope you enjoy it!

kazss11

HSC
N/A
Thanks! Really helpful.
Just need to learn all the stuff, I was surprised at how much and how quickly you need to learn it.

Shukie

HSC
Heh yes, the workload is quite intense and a bit of a shock to the system from school - just make sure you don't fall behind because each week builds on the next! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)