study help (1 Viewer)

skzza

HSC
Whats like the best way to learn/memorise content for subjects like chemistry, pdhpe and bio?? I've always been using flashcards to memorise literally everything but it's so tedious 😭 I know a lot of people say like mind maps but that's more like note taking not really to memorise content for an exam... Whats like the best way to study and memorise please help πŸ™πŸ™

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Whats like the best way to learn/memorise content for subjects like chemistry, pdhpe and bio?? I've always been using flashcards to memorise literally everything but it's so tedious 😭 I know a lot of people say like mind maps but that's more like note taking not really to memorise content for an exam... Whats like the best way to study and memorise please help πŸ™πŸ™
for bio, dont overload yourself trying to memorise every single detail. Think of everything like cause effect example, examples are SO important. I honestly didn't do flashcards or anything like that. When I was in class and we were writing notes I would extremely summarise everything, and that is mostly how I learnt, and then I just grinded past papers for the HSC. I wrote notes from those papers but only on the questions I was getting wrong. Bio has so much information, the most important thing is to prioritise only the essentials and personalise it to you. Don't write notes on things you already know. Acronyms are your best friend.

skzza

HSC
for bio, dont overload yourself trying to memorise every single detail. Think of everything like cause effect example, examples are SO important. I honestly didn't do flashcards or anything like that. When I was in class and we were writing notes I would extremely summarise everything, and that is mostly how I learnt, and then I just grinded past papers for the HSC. I wrote notes from those papers but only on the questions I was getting wrong. Bio has so much information, the most important thing is to prioritise only the essentials and personalise it to you. Don't write notes on things you already know. Acronyms are your best friend.
Thank you !!

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Thank you !!
When you get to the stage where you are able to do past papers, you'll gradually gain an understanding of what the bio marking guidelines are like. It is literally like a checklist, it is super formulaic (so it is easy to lose marks doing silly things like not defining key words). In the HSC I always answered in dot points. They were still full, fleshed-out sentences, but I used a dot point for each 'point' of my answer. Basically a dot point for everything I thought would be worth a mark. This strategy made me answer the questions much more directly, clearly, and concisely, you don't need to waffle on and worry about the flow of your sentences so much. I never used any extra space, and my handwriting was pretty large! You don't need to be writing essays. For super long questions, use subheadings too! Make it easy for the marker to go straight off of their checklist.

I genuinely did not revise throughout year 12, and then I just grinded papers super hard in the break before the HSC, and I think it worked out pretty good for me! Probs would be advisable to revise as you go, but don't think you need to be studying for hours everyday through the entire year (everyone on this website are study MACHINES, it can be easy to compare yourself and feel shitty). I'm GLAD I didnt study harder because it would have been unnecessary for my personal goals

Last edited:

skzza

HSC
When you get to the stage where you are able to do past papers, you'll gradually gain an understanding of what the bio marking guidelines are like. It is literally like a checklist, it is super formulaic (so it is easy to lose marks doing silly things like not defining key words). In the HSC I always answered in dot points. They were still full, fleshed-out sentences, but I used a dot point for each 'point' of my answer. Basically a dot point for everything I thought would be worth a mark. This strategy made me answer the questions much more directly, clearly, and concisely, you don't need to waffle on and worry about the flow of your sentences so much. I never used any extra space, and my handwriting was pretty large! You don't need to be writing essays. For super long questions, use subheadings too! Make it easy for the marker to go straight off of their checklist.
ooo makes sense!! I've been wanting to do that but was always scared I'll get marked down πŸ˜“ ty !!!

liamkk112

HSC
for chem just memorise definitions and core laws + forumlas and constants, try to build everything else off of that instead of trying to cram every little detail (speaking from physics experience here, might be slightly different)

harperissleepy

HSC
i really like making easy to read and understand notes and then rewriting what i remember down onto a piece of paper (just the main basic points/functions) umm its probably not the best but it works pretty good for me 😭

mvrcuriee

HSC
pdhpe, you honestly should be answering as much practice questions as possible. basically, learn to answer the 'learn to' section in syllabus and find as many questions from exams & etc.

mvrcuriee

HSC
pdhpe, you honestly should be answering as much practice questions as possible. basically, learn to answer the 'learn to' section in syllabus and find as many questions from exams & etc.
as for memorising pdhpe, i like blurting bc it forces me to use my brain LMFAO

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I know a lot of people say like mind maps but that's more like note taking not really to memorise content for an exam... Whats like the best way to study and memorise please help πŸ™πŸ™
Not neccessarily true. It depends how you make and use your mindmaps. Remember mindmaps are a way to visualise everything and create connections, not as a method of memorisation, because frankly, you're only option there is flashcards, or notes if you like wasting time. And don't think you're automatically forced to represent mindmaps in that default npc format of one box and then arrows that surround it where you connect said box to other components. You should use diagrams, preferably premade ones so you can efficiently drive through content. Analysing diagrams would also prepare you as well to exam questions that usually rely on knowledge based on diagrams and irl contexts. And all in all (should of said this earlier) diagrams condense information much better, which would mean you're essentially brutally murdering two birds with one stone (so to speak). Other things u can add could be flowcharts, uhhh, gifs, idfk.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)