Study in the Holidays (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Sirius Black said:
hey how would u study with no break from 7am to 7pm for every subject?
12hrs study, it sounds so surreal, seriously^-^
off course i have breaks... u can't study that long without any breaks...
however ... some subjecst might require more time than others.. so for those subjects i would extend my study time to probably 9:00 p.m to make up for the breaks... sometime i have a break every 50 minutes which goes for like 10 minutes... but if i'm studying maths... i'd probably sit for 2 hours and then have like a half hour break...

study consist of breaks... u'd burn out or start to day dream if u were to sit for a solid 12 hours straight

that's why the range is from 6-12 hours.... that's how much solid study i'd usualy get in the long run.. minus all the breaks...

HSC
i dont have consistent study, im more like 3 hours straight then a few hours break and another 2 hours

Libbster

HSC
I've probably been doing about 5-7 hrs, typing up notes, doing assignments, practice q's and past papers.

Mandy101

HSC
I've been averaging 7/8 hours a day, and I feel like I'm getting nothing done!

Will Hunting

HSC
Way, way too much Mandy... I don't mean to dishearten you, but that feeling of being unproductive is probably something you can trust quite reliably. There's nothing worse than pushing yourself too far. I've been studying 3/4 hours, and I'm moving though the work at no slow pace, ahead of my classes, by great amounts, in all my subjects.

I'd say studying is a scenario where more is definitely less.

DanielleM

HSC
fakingtheday said:
Anyone can hyerbolise a statement. Behold:

Reality: i coat my major work and watch the paint dry.

Hyperbole: Fuck dudes i spend all day i my major work and i still seem to get nowhere!
same thing here! we should be dt buddys!

tennille

HSC
Mandy101 said:
I've been averaging 7/8 hours a day, and I feel like I'm getting nothing done!
Like Will Hunting mentioned, that is way too much. You've probably burnt yourself out to the point that you can concentrate anymore. Take a break, go out with your friends, eat chocolate (yum). Take your mind of the HSC. 8 hours a day is too much at this point.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
This time last year when I was doing year 12 I was doing 0 hours of study per day. I worked on assessments, but never actually studied.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
physician said:
I guess that means i'm crazy then... woohooooo

i've been averaging 6-12 hours over the last 6 days.... oh how i hate chemistry... but my inner love for the subject made me want to study... i've always wanted to succeed at chemistry... even though chemistry is not my thing... but my future goals demand that i strive and continue to challenge my brain...

well now the hard part is done with.. now i can study my stronger subjects... that doesn't mean less hours... it just means I'm not learning stuff for the first time... (which was the case for me in chem... well sort of anyways...)

I feel like i'm in holiday mood even though my entire day is filled with study....

i usually try to start studying from around 7:30am and finish by 7:00pm... giving my self total of 5 hours break from 7-12... and depending on how much i need to get done.. is the deciding factor of when i should wake up to start studying...

the reason i'm doing this???

i want to go into each HSC exam knowing i've tried my best... self satisfacion is very important... i'm sick of making excuses for myself...

well that's my part in this thread
7.30am -7.00pm is not close to 12 hours, because u have to eat, take little breaks and they add up. Even if u do not take breaks, u are not effectively studying. I take 2-3 stints at studying and take 1 hour off, it gives me about 6 hours a day, but if i go psycho i can get 8-9 hours in a day but that is if i do not go out in the evening.

start at 10.00-12.30
have a break
2.00-4.30
have a break
4.30-6.30/7.30
(go out or have dinner)
(if staying at home i'll go from 9.30-11.30)

Mandy101

HSC
Tennille said:
Like Will Hunting mentioned, that is way too much. You've probably burnt yourself out to the point that you can concentrate anymore. Take a break, go out with your friends, eat chocolate (yum). Take your mind of the HSC. 8 hours a day is too much at this point.
I do, I go out every night :) I don't feel burnt out at all, I enjoy it - I like my subjects, and I want to go as well as I can. It's just weird that I still have so much that I want to get done, that's all I was trying to say.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
LaCe said:
7.30am -7.00pm is not close to 12 hours, because u have to eat, take little breaks and they add up. Even if u do not take breaks, u are not effectively studying. I take 2-3 stints at studying and take 1 hour off, it gives me about 6 hours a day, but if i go psycho i can get 8-9 hours in a day but that is if i do not go out in the evening.

start at 10.00-12.30
have a break
2.00-4.30
have a break
4.30-6.30/7.30
(go out or have dinner)
(if staying at home i'll go from 9.30-11.30)
read my post a few posts before urs...

by the way... nice timetable... i think i will be doing way less once i get to the fun part.. that is when i start studying maths... which will consist mainly of past papers.. so i'll need to sit a full 3 hours to get a whole paper done so i'll probably get a full 2 to 3 max. past papers done a day... includng the time it would take me to mark myself...

In reality it doesn't matter how many hours u do.. what matters is that u get the job done...

as i've said before ppl may need more time ppl may need less... who cares how many hours u do... ur supposed to study as long as it takes u to absorb/understand/learn and practice everything u need to know or know allready.

Fox_trot

HSC
It is not how much time you spend studying, its how productive the time spent studying is.

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
Study is for peope! In the new country study shall be done only by the studious!
Amen brother. :cool:

I've done bugger all, all holidays EXCEPT my drama I.P (finishing my poster and flyer and getting them printed out), a slight bit of editing on my english ext 2 Major Work and what I did today. Since it's monday and start of the second week (reminding me that the holidays are going insanely fast) I spent quite a bit of time on Boredofstudies looking for past papers and notes for business studies, english advanced and ext 1. Today I started studying for business studies, collected some other related material for ext 1 english and watched several episodes of frontline (english advanced) while writing notes.

Let the study commence!

Pace_T

HSC
Keep in mind, some people don't need to study, yet they will get very high marks nonetheless

Blast those people! My brain requires 3X as much study as what you people require.
:(

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
i've been working on my PIP like crazy.... it's been so weird, in contrary to every other holidays where a conscious effort is made to never be at home, i've been like a total hermit...

scary but on some days i've done my PIP.... ALL DAY LONG... just doesnt feel very healthy... so i've been driven to keep posting this:

if you can, please take a few mins to take my short survey to help with my major due in 2 wks... muchly appreciated:

http://www.my3q.com/go.php?url=karmapolice/3437

It's very hard to study so much in one day lol...
However the key to it is consistency rather than constantly studying.
I think the LaCe student's study timetable is effective (if followed everyday)
For me... I've studied from 8am - 1am of course with 15 min breaks after every two hours. I integrate everything from eating dinner while reading eng. texts and so on...
However, I've taken 5 days off totally in the middle of these holidays so i can go out and have an escape for a while...
I'm back to studying now and i dread everyday esp. when it comes about 9pm at night that remaning 4hrs kills me...
they key to it is changing subject after a few hours no more than 3 subjects a day but just do a easy topic that requires simple revision between the more demanding subjects and topics (e.g. criminal law then co-ord. geom. then back to criminal law then a break... back to maths on exponential func.)
NO.1 RULE TO THIS IS NO MORE THAN 2 COFFEES PER DAY!! AND MINIMISE SUGAR... JUST THE REGULAR JELLY BEAN OR CHOCY...
i've experimented and found out the days without so much chocy and no more than 2 coffees have been the most effective...

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
depends on ppl. 2 guys i know last year tried for 240hours ina 3 week holiday. they also were trying (and doing) 30 hours a weekend, and 8 per night. they both crashed and burned, lol. whoever says you can't do enough is wrong (including parents!). do what you need (i think i worked maybe 4 hours over the 3 wk holiday), then again, i did discover board of studies ;)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I havent done any school work all holidays
im going to try and do something today if i can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)