Study methods for chemistry and 2 unit maths? (1 Viewer)

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Ok I'm in year 11 and I heard that in year 11, people shouldnt take it too seriously and instead people should experiment with their study method and I want to find out a effective method for studying mathematics and chemistry.

So anyone suggest a good method for these 2 subjects so I try them:confused:

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Past papers if you already know your content, go through notes/do some text book questions until you know the content then do past papers.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
2unit math - past papers
chem - make ur own notes throughout year - read them then past papers.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
2unit math - past papers
chem - make ur own notes throughout year - read them then past papers.
Agree with both, but in chemistry I really do love other people's notes... ^_^ I like adding and subtracting to create even better notes which I understand. Although, I think Andrew Harvey's notes on Chemistry are quite succinct and sufficient.

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Agree with both, but in chemistry I really do love other people's notes... ^_^ I like adding and subtracting to create even better notes which I understand. Although, I think Andrew Harvey's notes on Chemistry are quite succinct and sufficient.
WHO'S ANDREW HARVY? plz tell MEEEEE:burn:

blackforest

HSC
exactly what i do!

andrew harvey doesnt have prelim notes for chem does he? i havent found it yet. his phys ones are AWESOME though.

for chem.. i guess just make notes, read over them. understanding the content is the most important thing. then do exercises e.g. lewis dot diagrams, moles questions, ionic eqtns etc. past papers are good too.

maths.. i just do chapter reviews, memorise formulas. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! past papers are good.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
for chemistry: Make sure you full understand concepts and how things work. try doing a few questions to get a good understanding of the concept/ type of question. Write notes on every dot point (you can buy the bot point series). Also if you are struggling, get a TUTOR. i know it cost moneys but it pays off in your ATAR score.

Maths: Questions and more questions. also read the examples at the start of the exercise and make sure you understand it completely. the more questions you do, the more confident you will be and when you walk into an exam, you don't feel that a question is foreign to you.

a thing in general. they say to write up your notes like a month before a test and study it for 2 weeks before the test. what i feel is that when i write notes, when i re-read them, i keep saying to my self i know this so i don't really study that way. what i do is 3 weeks before the exam i write my notes and if there is a question that i don't know how to do, i cut it out and write the solution underneath it so i know exactly what to do. by writting my notes 3 weeks in advanced (takes me like 2 weeks to do so), i have written my notes and i the tricky stuff are still in my head. i can revise the night before the test and i understand everything that that point is trying to say. also by not leaving everything to the last minute, you relax your mind and leave it open to the small things that might make you do silly mistakes here and there and result in a Fail.

hope that helped . ask for clarification if you need any.

adomad

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Yeah, his notes work well as templates. In some areas the explanation is a bit sparse but that's where cross reference comes in :D

hosay

HSC
N/A
for me, its one thing...
read, read, read
thats it.
I make sure ive covered every dotpoint perfectly, and honestly, any notes, even andrew harvey's arn't enough for me. So i use excel chemistry (the new one), and they cover a lot of things, cept mon and mag, which is use conquerin chem for (the old one). All of the secondary dotpoints, ive done myself.
Also wats the most important is question deconstruction. Sum questions have more than one component to them, and the quicker u identify this and work out an appropriate structure for your responce-the better. I used this, it made my responces clearer, and much easier in the last 20mins when u have free time to check your exam. When u achieve this, you know that u cant get anythin but full marks, as you have hit the question head on. I used it and got 100% for my chem short answers in trial, lost 2marks in mc cause i didnt bother chek. lol
but yea, two things, read, cover all the dotpoint, and most important, learn how to attack exam questions/

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Re chemistry;

To be honest, I don't think dot points are as important in yr 11.

I know that in my case, in prelim chem our teachers hardly even refer to the syllabus. So I think that most importantly you make sure you attend all classes and know the things you are taught in class VERY well, as this is what they will ask you in the exams.

They aren't going to ask you stuff they haven't taught you. But I guess this changes with each school, maybe your school expects you to know everything in detail.. Get past papers from your teachers, do lots of practice questions, make sure to ask them in class if you don't understand.

Of course this is a completely different scenario from yr 12, which you refer to the syllabus as a bible.

I also like to download someone elses notes and just use them as a guide when making your own. Try to keep them up to date throughout the term so when it comes exam time you can simply STUDY and not have to physically write notes.. include a couple of q's and a's in your notes too, (3 will do, easy medium and hard) to refer back to when you're studying.

etcetc

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
For chem its just a matter of rope learning. Just memorize your responses for each syllabus dot point and you'll do fine. It's pretty sad that your knowledge isnt test on your understanding of concepts but rather how well you interpret the question and express your answer. And above all always look at the key word don' t just spew forth all the information you know about that one specific topic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)