Study methods (1 Viewer)

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Hey I trying to prepare myself for year 11 by ensuring great studying habits. What are some effective methods of studying that some of you use? it can be for science, maths, etc.

thanks​

PrettyVacant

HSC
To remember things, I make up acrostic poems using the first letter of each word I have to remember. These can get really long when studying something in Science. But I make sure to keep them catchy. These serve me well.
Oh yeah, and make notes. Lots of them. I use those 48 page exercise books you can get at OfficeWorks for 1 cent when they're having a back to school sale. I get about a hundred (limited 20/customer so bring a lot of people or something) and that will set you back about a dollar. Pretty cheap for a step-up in study habits.

James747

HSC
Study frequently in short "bursts" and make plenty of notes. ^^

mednerd

HSC
N/A
study reguarly, make notes...study extra in the holidays. Many say it's crazy to do like 6+ hours a day in the holz...but if u think about it...like 2 hours in the morning. then 2 hours after lunch...then 2 hours in the afternoon. 2 more at in the night ...that's like 8 hours already...with 2 hour breaks in between

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
dont forget that breaks are important.

if you are finding it hard to concentrate too long, shorten the time spent studying, but then also shorten the break time a bit in order to maximise efficiency. you wouldnt want to spend 1.5 hours studying, then 3 hours in front of the tv or anything. and keep the breaks simple, go for a walk, clear your mind.... you dont want to just get ur mind busy with other things which will not be an effective break as u really havent given ur concentration span rest.

charmedforeva

HSC
I set myself goals.. Like I study 2 hours of ,say, maths and then afterwards go do something i like.. That way I'm motivated to do get through the study..

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
pull out the internet cable...:)

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Make sure you don't work so hard that you burn out. This is what happened to my sis in year 11. She learnt tho for year 12. I'm proud to say she got UAI of 100! :) :) :) :)
So yeah, learn from her study ALL YEAR ROUND ( this is my sis) not cram at the end!

muttiah

Banned
HSC
dont watch tv in ur breaks.. ym teacher who is a phD in science said dat u get short term memory if u watch tv when ur having a break.. but AFTER u study u can watch tv.. also dont listen to music whilst ur studying.. maybe classical music is good...

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Although I've never tried it, I've heard Trance music is the best to listen to if you want to study/concentrate.

HSC
try studying with friends...
study buddies~!!
works pretty well...for some people that is...
it's worth a try...and fun

HSC
N/A
I don't really do any of those things they tell you to do..

I usually don't listen to music unless I'm making notes and don't need full concentration/understanding or I'm practising.

I find that sugar and/or caffeine helps. A lot.

And it takes me ages, like ten, fifteen minutes just to settle in if I don't like the subject. So I generally minimise number of sessions and go for longer. Otherwise I fit it in whenever if I'm desperately lacking in time.

Depends on the subject, I guess. Testing yourself and gauging your approximate ability/knowledge is good.

But go with the caffeine. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)