Study Techniques??? (1 Viewer)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Hi

I am going to have a an maths assessment on the topic Geometrical Applications of Differentiation. Just wondering I just bought the new edition of Success one textbook and since the book has a topic index, do you guys think I should do those differentiation questions from those past HSC exam papers or should I just stick with consistent practice and revision from my Math in focus textbook?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

kunal96

HSC
lol. do MIF first and then do past paper questions. make sure you do lots of maxima and minima :)

hayabusaboston

HSC
erm people ask this everywhere everywhere everywhere lol, the study technique that works is of course just studying! Simply, remove any UNNECESSARY things in your lifestyle, and just study study study. Every 40-80 mins take a 5-15 min break and repeat. You can allow yourself short amounts of time on those unnecessary things once a week or something, or twice. Obviously, its to relax and remove excess stress, so you need it, but in moderation.

Thats the best study technique before assessments. Or if you're super ultra dedicated and want 99.95 then you do that every day haha, not just before assessments :p

Subject wise,
FOr maths, the best study is doing questions which you are uncomfortable with ie focusing on your weaknesses. If you can do integration really well but suck at trig or something, focus on trig, dont waste your time on concepts which you are already more than capable of doing.

For sciences, the best study incorporates daily dotpoint revision coupled with past papers (to be more precise, calculations). Since you dont find calculations questions in the yllabus, the best place to get them while in an exam context is past papers. Or jusk ask your teacher for sheets on whatever calculation stuff you're doing.

For humanities, I dont study any of them, so I wouldnt know how to approach study in them :p

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Although, do you guys think that doing all the questions from the math in focus book will be enough to get 95%+ in the exam because I do not think I can do all of the differentiation questions in the success one book.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Although, do you guys think that doing all the questions from the math in focus book will be enough to get 95%+ in the exam because I do not think I can do all of the differentiation questions in the success one book.
Math in focus is too simplistic imo, Fitzpatrick is optimal, it is to a level which, if you can do all the questions, you can get top marks in HSC. A baulko friend of mine used fitzpatrick and got 98 in mx1 I think it was.
Cambridge has really good questions too mostly, but there's a lot of unecessary extracurricular stuff which won't help you in the exam, its only there for the maths obsessed people haha.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Hmm Damn. I wish I borrowed the fitzpatrick book sooner. Although do you guys reckon is it possible for me to get 95%+ in my upcoming geo-differentiation assessment If I can master and correctly answer all the questions in the Math in Focus textbook?

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hmm Damn. I wish I borrowed the fitzpatrick book sooner. Although do you guys reckon is it possible for me to get 95%+ in my upcoming geo-differentiation assessment If I can master and correctly answer all the questions in the Math in Focus textbook?
Oh in your upcoming assessment, if you combine the Success one book with MIF then yes you can likely get 95 percent plus. I thought you meant for the actual HSC haha.

kunal96

HSC
yeah. the only thing that is 'difficult' in geo applications of differentiation is maxima and minima and btw i have first hand experience cos i have an assessment tomorrow too!

Hazballs

HSC
yeah. the only thing that is 'difficult' in geo applications of differentiation is maxima and minima and btw i have first hand experience cos i have an assessment tomorrow too!
Yeah, i hate maxima and minima so much.. I never know which thing to sub into which equation.. Let me know what type of questions you get on your assessment as i have mine in three weeks!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Does your school have past exam papers on this topic to get a practice of?

Or the resources?

That'd be best, but if not it is much better to get exposure to exam type questions in the Success One.

When's your test? I can look old assessment task that includes that, though it would have another topic coupled in with it, though pretty sure my first assessment is on what you're doing atm.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, i hate maxima and minima so much.. I never know which thing to sub into which equation.. Let me know what type of questions you get on your assessment as i have mine in three weeks!
Hmmm? I liked to draw tables for that so you could clearly see the gradient and if it was max/minima. I never botherred much using second derivative and did little tables :) I had to struggle a little more with Max/Min problems.

Hazballs

HSC
Hmmm? I liked to draw tables for that so you could clearly see the gradient and if it was max/minima. I never botherred much using second derivative and did little tables :) I had to struggle a little more with Max/Min problems.
Yeah sorry that's what i'm talking about, the ones with the problems!

kunal96

HSC
our assessment today was a complete joke. the average for 3u/4u kids will be ~90-95 whilst the average for 2u ppl will be 80%

Hazballs

HSC
our assessment today was a complete joke. the average for 3u/4u kids will be ~90-95 whilst the average for 2u ppl will be 80%
What type of questions were they and what topics were you assessed on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)