Votes: 4 8.9%
  • 5-6

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 6+

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

selablad

HSC
I never do homework, but I put a lot of effort into assignments, and that kind of becomes my study...especially if the assignments are research ones, where you have to look up something related to the subject but not directly in the syllabus, which is what really motivates me because those are the really interesting things...remind me why I chose the subjects I did... And I really enjoy English assignments - they are the main mode of teaching at our school, I think (since we don't do much else, haha) and yeah. So assignments are like my studying...

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Studied 6 and a half hours today. Still don't think that's enough, at the rate I was going with maths...Don't even feel burned out... Took loads of unnecessary breaks, browsing around youtube for hours, packing up my folders and stuff, wasting time. I'd never do this much during school weekdays, not even an hour. Just homework, then cram before the exam.

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
When you guys say that you 'study' what do you actually do? Because for me, when I say study I mean memorising notes in preparation for an exam so that would be the only reason why I would study before an exam. But I'm finding that a lot of you guys are studying on a regular basis? If your definition of 'study' is the same as mine, heck do you guys have a lot of exams or something!?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
When you guys say that you 'study' what do you actually do? Because for me, when I say study I mean memorising notes in preparation for an exam so that would be the only reason why I would study before an exam. But I'm finding that a lot of you guys are studying on a regular basis? If your definition of 'study' is the same as mine, heck do you guys have a lot of exams or something!?
Study to me is;

-Make notes (which invovles me reading ten tonne of stuff)
-Read notes
-Do maths questions that are not required for homework(same for chem)
-Write a practice essay for English or any other subject (hand that in and get marked)
-Make flash cards
-Then usually rewrite an essay if i believe it was not good enough mark when handed back.

That and various other ideas.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
marcquelle said:
Study to me is;

-Make notes (which invovles me reading ten tonne of stuff)
-Read notes
-Do maths questions that are not required for homework(same for chem)
-Write a practice essay for English or any other subject (hand that in and get marked)
-Make flash cards
-Then usually rewrite an essay if i believe it was not good enough mark when handed back.

That and various other ideas.
I honestly cannot do that. I'll be so sick of writing essays by the time the real exam comes around, I'll just go 'screw this'. I know that practise makes perfect, but sometimes it gets a bit too much. Does anyone else feel this way?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
I honestly cannot do that. I'll be so sick of writing essays by the time the real exam comes around, I'll just go 'screw this'. I know that practise makes perfect, but sometimes it gets a bit too much. Does anyone else feel this way?
lol thats how most people say they feel i believe. Plus it has taken me so long to write an essay correctly that i want to keep the method fresh in my mind.

selablad

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Yes.

I'm a bit weird though. I think that if it's an unseen essay task, then you have to just walk in and write the essay. Somehow in my mind, writing practice essays before is cheating. Showing them to the teacher for checking is like the ultimate betrayal of academic honesty... Actually, showing anything to anyone before the final thing is due is just unheard-of for me. I just can't do it...anyone else like that?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
selablad said:
Yes.

I'm a bit weird though. I think that if it's an unseen essay task, then you have to just walk in and write the essay. Somehow in my mind, writing practice essays before is cheating. Showing them to the teacher for checking is like the ultimate betrayal of academic honesty... Actually, showing anything to anyone before the final thing is due is just unheard-of for me. I just can't do it...anyone else like that?
Yup. I can totally agree with you there. My friend always does it and I find it kinda disturbing because she always tries to weedle out little things and tries to gain more marks. I feel that's cheating because the teacher wants to see how well you can select and interpret information rather than checking it against what they think to gain the highest marks. It kinda kills the whole point of an assignment eh?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Yup. I can totally agree with you there. My friend always does it and I find it kinda disturbing because she always tries to weedle out little things and tries to gain more marks. I feel that's cheating because the teacher wants to see how well you can select and interpret information rather than checking it against what they think to gain the highest marks. It kinda kills the whole point of an assignment eh?
i don't write essays based on the topic i write based on something else say a critical analysis on a book that i just read. (i use the concept that were focusing on and write about different texts that are not related to the text we are reading if you get what i mean)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
selablad said:
I'm a bit weird though. I think that if it's an unseen essay task, then you have to just walk in and write the essay. Somehow in my mind, writing practice essays before is cheating.
I honestly can't see how that's cheating... that's basically saying that preparing for an exam is cheating...

selablad said:
Showing them to the teacher for checking is like the ultimate betrayal of academic honesty... Actually, showing anything to anyone before the final thing is due is just unheard-of for me. I just can't do it...anyone else like that?
Is that practice essays or general assignments and stuff?

jellybelly59

HSC
Doctor Jolly = Jay chou fan for sure :p. agree with continuum... if it's an unseen essay task then u don't know what the question is based on. If u do the practice essay then it should be a question or quote u havent responded to b4. IMO practice essays are a great way to improve how you approach extended responses.

k150764

HSC
2hours on weekdays
4hours on weekends
and 5~6 hours on holidays

jockrussell

HSC
WOW i didnt realise how much study people actually do, not includong homework.
Im lucky if i get 1/2 hrs of study in a day on any day, except about 2 days be4 an exam or test i do around 1-2 hrs study then.
But i do around 1-2 hrs of homework on weekdays and about 1/2 hr on weekends and holidays.

Seeing how much every1 else is doing makes me want to do more.
i might try 2 hrs of study a day.

jaychouf4n

HSC
1-2 hours in hols and 1h a day on weekdays

but sometimes, like these holidays, i go screw it and go sleep/play b ball/play dota.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
Doctor Jolly = Jay chou fan for sure :p. agree with continuum... if it's an unseen essay task then u don't know what the question is based on. If u do the practice essay then it should be a question or quote u havent responded to b4. IMO practice essays are a great way to improve how you approach extended responses.
Lol.

I am not fan of anyone. I just got my avatar like that because it represents my style, not the nerdy style that Einstein avatar gave me few months back then.

But sometimes I feel like going back to that avatar. That image is stuck to my head somehow. (could it be my future apperance?)

More than 5 hours for me during holidays. (at least)

Probably around 3-4 on weekdays. (including homework and assignments)

selablad

HSC
Continuum said:
I honestly can't see how that's cheating... that's basically saying that preparing for an exam is cheating...

Is that practice essays or general assignments and stuff?
Everything. *Especially* assignments.

If the teacher makes us do practice essays, then I'll show them to him/her, but only if we have to, and I still feel awkward about it...I don't know why. I know logically that it's a good way to improve marks/understanding, but I just feel all wrong inside... Oh well :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)