Study Tips for Remote Study/Self Isolation (1 Viewer)

skiddys

HSC
Hey all, since the current state of things seems to be looming closer and closer to a full lockdown (and many of us will probably have to start studying at home), I thought it'd be a good time to start a thread on any tips/suggestions/stories on your learning experience from home.

Feel free to share any tips! Personally I work the best at my school library/any public library and I'm probably going to struggle with self-control when I know I can take a nap at any moment. o(* ̄▽ ̄*)o Anyways, hope you are all staying safe!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Don't study on your bed.
Why not. I tend to do that sometimes :p

Like when I'm really stuck on a question I'll just walk around or lay down on my bed and just think real hard. I find when your laying down all your energy can be put into just thinking which helps me problem solve better.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not. I tend to do that sometimes :p

Like when I'm really stuck on a question I'll just walk around or lay down on my bed and just think real hard. I find when your laying down all your energy can be put into just thinking which helps me problem solve better.
Ideally you need to keep your bed just for sleep as otherwise it can create problems sleeping for you in the future.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly I struggle greatly with studying at home, even during HSC (2017) and I still have the problem today... PC games/youtube and nintendo switch and phone are all too easily accessed

EDIT: I remember Cold Turkey being a decent computer app to block stuff. Studying through facetime MIGHT be useful with friends ONLY IF you guys don't just chat/gossip the entire time

yooook

HSC
Honestly I struggle greatly with studying at home, even during HSC (2017) and I still have the problem today... PC games/youtube and nintendo switch and phone are all too easily accessed

EDIT: I remember Cold Turkey being a decent computer app to block stuff. Studying through facetime MIGHT be useful with friends ONLY IF you guys don't just chat/gossip the entire time
where did u study then?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
where did u study then?
In HSC I only studied in home but my bad habits led to sleeping late a looooot of times so I was tired most of the time... These days I try to study at WSU (the one near parra station) or at uni when I can but I still study at home sometimes with a lot of distractions.

skiddys

HSC
Same!! I just can't focus at home because I normally study outside (library/cafes). If I used app blocking stuff, I find myself just wandering around looking for snacks. Then I pick up a book or something as a form of procrastination that doesn't make me feel trash about myself 😂

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Same!! I just can't focus at home because I normally study outside (library/cafes). If I used app blocking stuff, I find myself just wandering around looking for snacks. Then I pick up a book or something as a form of procrastination that doesn't make me feel trash about myself 😂
YEp and now that quarantine is in place it's hard to study outside T_T

1-99

HSC
N/A
Always put my phone on airplane mode or even leave it in another room haha

skiddys

HSC
How's everybody doing with at home study?

I think I got better in the holidays because I was just soooo bored that I ended up writing some notes LOL. There's only so much Netflix I can binge, and honestly it's so weird, but it's less enjoyable now that I'm home all the time and it's so accessible.

Some tips I have found:
  • Don't stay in your PJs that literally just puts you in a lounge mentality
  • Try to keep recess/lunch times similar to school - It makes it feel a little more like a school day and gives more structure for productivity
  • Find somewhere to study outside of your room. I actually like studying outside now, I used to go to cafes/libraries and even stepping into the garden tricks my mind into thinking "Oh we're somewhere new, should get cracking"

hschelper01

HSC
These might help:

skiddys

HSC
These might help:

Super helpful! Bookmarked!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You managed to still get an atar more than 90, your life is set
I know this is overused but ATAR is literally just used to get into your course and nothing else (except for tutoring). Still worth it to try your hardest though :)

How's everybody doing with at home study?

I think I got better in the holidays because I was just soooo bored that I ended up writing some notes LOL. There's only so much Netflix I can binge, and honestly it's so weird, but it's less enjoyable now that I'm home all the time and it's so accessible.

Some tips I have found:
  • Don't stay in your PJs that literally just puts you in a lounge mentality
  • Try to keep recess/lunch times similar to school - It makes it feel a little more like a school day and gives more structure for productivity
  • Find somewhere to study outside of your room. I actually like studying outside now, I used to go to cafes/libraries and even stepping into the garden tricks my mind into thinking "Oh we're somewhere new, should get cracking"
Wth goals, being bored enough to write notes LOL

JustinKaizenAcademy

HSC
A couple of quick tips that have helped me get more work done at home:
  • Have a dedicated area that's only for studying, it's hard to focus where you normally watch movies/play games.
  • Remove distracting bookmarks from your browser toolbar or at least hide them in a folder.
  • Before starting, decide exactly what you're planning to do today and how much you will get done. Set a realistic goal, otherwise, you might scare yourself into not doing anything at all.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)