Study trials or not? (1 Viewer)

noturningback

HSC
If you don't want to read my entire question, please just read the final lines of this post below the second bold section.

Ok, I have a question.
I've gone through all the HSC exams for IPT and worked through all the CCPT (cant remember abbreviation, computer teachers association or whatever) solutions.
I needed more exams to work through, so I went and got a couple of years trials from my IPT teacher including answers. I am now working through these however is this a good idea or not? I am not doing as good with them but I guess i'm picking up on some stuff I didn't know as well as I could.
I got 60% (yes 60!!) for one of them which shows I could know more (However I was abiding by their very strict marking criteria and I really would have got more like 70%) and for the next one I got about 75% which is still below my 80% aim.
So as you can see, there is a fair bit of content that I could work on.
Here is an example question from trial that seems unlikely:

(B)
Closing rural bank branches clearly results in job losses for bank employees, however research shows further job loss occurs within local businesses

Identify likely reasons for these further job losses
---
I got 3/6 for this Q, it seemed to assume knowledge that I definitely didn't have. It did provide stimulus but it was little help.
Here are two parts of the answer I never would have thought of:

- People would have to travel to other towns to do their banking, and shop there as well
- People who do not have IT access/limited transport would not be able to do their banking and might go bankrupt as a result

That first answer is hardly IPT, the second is I guess.

Continue here if you don't want to read above:
But this unnecessarily long post is coming to a final point
- By spending my precious days before the exam reading over these trials, am I wasting my time and consuming useless information?
Should I stop and return to going over the HSC papers?

I have a Success One HSC textbook with an exam I plan to do also, so I still have one HSC exam I have not looked at (plan to though).

Last edited:

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
noturningback said:
If you don't want to read my entire question, please just read the final lines of this post below the second bold section.

Ok, I have a question.
I've gone through all the HSC exams for IPT and worked through all the CCPT (cant remember abbreviation, computer teachers association or whatever) solutions.
I needed more exams to work through, so I went and got a couple of years trials from my IPT teacher including answers. I am now working through these however is this a good idea or not? I am not doing as good with them but I guess i'm picking up on some stuff I didn't know as well as I could.
I got 60% (yes 60!!) for one of them which shows I could know more (However I was abiding by their very strict marking criteria and I really would have got more like 70%) and for the next one I got about 75% which is still below my 80% aim.
So as you can see, there is a fair bit of content that I could work on.
Here is an example question from trial that seems unlikely:

(B)
Closing rural bank branches clearly results in job losses for bank employees, however research shows further job loss occurs within local businesses

Identify likely reasons for these further job losses
---
I got 3/6 for this Q, it seemed to assume knowledge that I definitely didn't have. It did provide stimulus but it was little help.
Here are two parts of the answer I never would have thought of:

- People would have to travel to other towns to do their banking, and shop there as well
- People who do not have IT access/limited transport would not be able to do their banking and might go bankrupt as a result

That first answer is hardly IPT, the second is I guess.

Continue here if you don't want to read above:
But this unnecessarily long post is coming to a final point
- By spending my precious days before the exam reading over these trials, am I wasting my time and consuming useless information?
Should I stop and return to going over the HSC papers?

I have a Success One HSC textbook with an exam I plan to do also, so I still have one HSC exam I have not looked at (plan to though).
tl;dr

how about, get off BoS and study instead. you'll waste more time posting / reading replies when you could've just done both the TRIAL and HSC papers.

stuffyou

noturningback

HSC
:::a::: said:
tl;dr

how about, get off BoS and study instead. you'll waste more time posting / reading replies when you could've just done both the TRIAL and HSC papers.

stuffyou
Not quite the intelligent response I would expect to receive here, given the academic nature of the site.

Let's put things into perspective shall we?

Amount of time I could be wasting by learning material that is unlikely to be in the test: Hours

Amount of time It took me to create the topic, and write this response: 5 Minutes

I'm not wasting time of BoS, I created the topic and got straight back into study. And if you are going to try and point out that is not the case due to my immediate response to your reply, It's because I turned on email notification for this one particular topic.

Thanks.

Ramboysf5

HSC
dont worry about that faggot, hes just trolling. but my advice to you is just do the HSC past papers, what questions you get in the trial are kinda irrelevant in a sense that they were catholic etc. But HSC you can just work out what type of questions you may expect. e.g 2007 i think had no DFD so you may expect that.

And plus after all you are sitting the HSC exam and not some catholic one so its a good idea to use the success one book to your advantage.

Rampager

HSC
I love it when people who have the first reply quote the original post... I mean, I wonder what they could possibly be referring to?

If you've worked through all the HSC Papers i'd say stop there, you shouldn't do trials because frankly I think the teachers who write the trials are alittle bit over the moon with some of their questions, re-read your textbook and get some solid definitions for things you're unsure on, other than that, you've hit your peak.

noturningback

HSC
Thanks for the help, I've abandoned the trial exams. I'm now doing the HSC exams (again) however I'm trying to simulate exam conditions (although this is hard because I'm using a writer) as opposed to taking a 10 minute break every 50 minutes.
I'll learn all the key words (ie. explain, identify) etc.
I only have one HSC subject this year and 4 more days with 10 hours of study a day so I should be set, nice to hear that you think I'm probaly well prepared.

Rampager

HSC
You're scaring me man, you're going to get a Band 6 and make us look bad. I'm too busy studying for Math and Math Extension :/

Ah well, I would think even as a Year 11 you notice that IPT really isn't all that difficult :p It's just making sure you refer to the question/case study they give you, identify the appropriate keyword (I even used a keyword right there, hows that?) and mixing in 40% techincal knowledge with 60% common sense.

Ahhh, IPT, the good life.

noturningback

HSC
haha nah I don't expect to get a band 6, My aim is to get a UAI of 80 so band 5 should be fine.
My internal marks aren't incredible though
Yeah it's a very straightforward topic, although it helps to have a teacher that can teach (Something I was not fortunate enough to have).
Still, there's so much preparation for this one topic to me. I'm not looking forward to next year when I will have 5 subjects!

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
10 hours a day, bullshit. I've been doing like 2 hours a day since we got back to school, close enough to 30 hours all up. I find it pointless to lose focus on my other subjects (now year 12) for 3 weeks just to study for IPT. Highest mark I could get is probably 85ish, bad assessment marks.

noturningback

HSC
Maybe you are right, today I'll only do 7 hours IPT and then 3 hours catching up other subjects. 85 is really good, I got average assessment marks and dont expect 85

crammy90

HSC
noturningback said:
Maybe you are right, today I'll only do 7 hours IPT and then 3 hours catching up other subjects. 85 is really good, I got average assessment marks and dont expect 85
why are u not getting over 90 if ur doing that much?
im expecting over 80 and i do about 2 hrs every second day...
u should be blitzing it...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As I mentioned in my other threads the only real way to study and do well in this subject is to really "embrace" the scenario given to you and really approach it not just from an IPT perspective but from a practical perspective. I know this sounds waffly but if you look at the SuccessOne "model answers" (or suggested solutions), you'll see the level of depth expected if you want to achieve good results in this course. That was the approach I took and it worked very very well.

noturningback

HSC
Yeah, the level of depth in the SuccessOne books is very detailed although admittedly excessive but I get the general idea. Don't just know the concepts, learn to apply them to the scenario and think of every possible part of the system that could use them.

The success one book I have only has exams for 01,02,03,04. I've worked through 02-04 in the book. I'm reluctant to do 01 at this stage because its just so dated (ie. when explaining HW,SW,Communications).

crammy90

HSC
noturningback said:
Yeah, the level of depth in the SuccessOne books is very detailed although admittedly excessive but I get the general idea. Don't just know the concepts, learn to apply them to the scenario and think of every possible part of the system that could use them.

The success one book I have only has exams for 01,02,03,04. I've worked through 02-04 in the book. I'm reluctant to do 01 at this stage because its just so dated (ie. when explaining HW,SW,Communications).
could you post up an answer to a long answer question from success 1 so we can see the level of depth they wanted...thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
noturningback said:

I think when I did HSC back in 05, I only used 02-04.

If it helps, try reading up on random case studies on the internet.

The other thing which I found was good for getting better marks was explaining how it would work in practice- e.g. just mentioning a type of file such as a JPEG is all fine and dandy, but if you can give an example of a program which can create/edit the file like Photoshop, it just gives a bit more depth to your answer.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
noturningback said:
85 the top mark, i.e. if I get 100% on the HSC exam. if I get 90% it'd make my mark go to about 80, so its okay.

You should be getting above 90 if you study well, and do more than 2 hours a day. I've been doing 2 hours and not for that long.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Makro said:
85 the top mark, i.e. if I get 100% on the HSC exam. if I get 90% it'd make my mark go to about 80, so its okay.

You should be getting above 90 if you study well, and do more than 2 hours a day. I've been doing 2 hours and not for that long.
I just thought I'd drop quality not quantity guys. You can spend all day reading the Heinemann IPT text book and it won't get you top marks. Best bet is to try and read up on some case studies or practice your bullshitting ability for the scenarios as that's the only real area where you can seek to get more marks (on the presumption you have your definitions for MC/short-ans set).

Best wishes everyone!

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
seremify007 said:
I just thought I'd drop quality not quantity guys. You can spend all day reading the Heinemann IPT text book and it won't get you top marks. Best bet is to try and read up on some case studies or practice your bullshitting ability for the scenarios as that's the only real area where you can seek to get more marks (on the presumption you have your definitions for MC/short-ans set).

Best wishes everyone!
I didn't quite pay attention in class. Fairly useless teacher, plus friends that I couldn't stop talking to. So a lot of my study has been learning content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)