Studying a language at uni (1 Viewer)

dior1

HSC
N/A
This is a question for all those who are studing a language at university.

What do you actually do? Do you learn to speak it and understand it, or do you just explore the history of it and learn about the culture?

How much harder is it to a VCE or HSC language? Is there heaps and heaps of theory

And for those doing a language, or who have done one, what was your course and what did you major in??

look forward to reading the replies :D

melanieeee.

HSC
im not doing language at uni but i heard from friends who are that it is heaps harder.

X

xeuyrawp

Generally when you study a language, you actually learn how to communicate with it.

Most unis have the culture and history side as well, though.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
It's hard if you're not keen for the subject/don't do the homework.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
dior1 said:
This is a question for all those who are studing a language at university.

What do you actually do? Do you learn to speak it and understand it, or do you just explore the history of it and learn about the culture?

How much harder is it to a VCE or HSC language? Is there heaps and heaps of theory

And for those doing a language, or who have done one, what was your course and what did you major in??

look forward to reading the replies :D
You learn to speak and write it. Although depending on how you study it, you will do history/culture components (i.e. language degree or elective units). I don't understand what you mean by "theory", if you mean content in terms of sentence structures/vocabulary then yes there is alot but you learn it over years not weeks. I studied Japanese in high school and currently do it as electives. Although alot of the content so far is not new for me, the marking is ALOT harsher. I mispronounced one word (and corrected myself after doing so) and was docked 1 mark in a 5 mark section, the totaly exam being 15 marks. Seemed a little bit unfair to me since I did correct myself at the time but there you go. So the only real difference is that you are expected to demonstrate the content to a much higher level than in high school.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Generally when you study a language, you actually learn how to communicate with it.

Most unis have the culture and history side as well, though.
Hey, i just had a question cause i vaguely remeber you being a language student (hope im correct lol).

What are your thoughts on learning languages (ie Italian and possibly Russian) through the Pimsleur method- its a series of audio files guider by a speaker. If you know anything about it, please give us some insight into its pros/cons.

Currently been doing it for Italian and after lesson 6 i can speak a lot more than i expected. Obviously though, writing/grammar arent the focus. But im more just interested in speaking anyway.

Thanks

dior1

HSC
N/A
^Hmm interesting method.

Thanks for the replies too

X

xeuyrawp

Cookie182 said:
Hey, i just had a question cause i vaguely remeber you being a language student (hope im correct lol).

What are your thoughts on learning languages (ie Italian and possibly Russian) through the Pimsleur method- its a series of audio files guider by a speaker. If you know anything about it, please give us some insight into its pros/cons.

Currently been doing it for Italian and after lesson 6 i can speak a lot more than i expected. Obviously though, writing/grammar arent the focus. But im more just interested in speaking anyway.

Thanks
If you're happy with your progress, you should continue with it unless you have a better method.

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Don't do it?!
Well Spanish in particular
They don't explain anything and expect you to 'pick it up'....
VERY DIFFICULT
I passed, barely (a mark of 50).

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
I'm a French Studies major though I've done some German and Spanish. The thing with languages is that the departments really expect you to put your own effort into it.

A major takes three years to complete, but you won't be fluent in it if you don't try using the language in every day life. I think that's what stumps most people. By second year lecturers expect you to be doing your own "studies". Reading newspapers, watching the news etc

They do pack a lot of information. I imagine it's much faster than the school level though I won't say cause I never studied language at school level. For French, by second sem we were reading a novel, and by third sem all teaching was in French.

Pretty darn quick.

As for culture and history, I don't think anyone should learn a language unless they're actually interested in some culture and history. Most unis teach it alongside the language component.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
For beginners, expect to be covering an entire chapter of a language book in about a week. The contact hours are generally 4 hours in the 1st year, but that decreases. You are also expected to spend this much time on the language away from uni.

You will also find that the lecturer/tutor will normally teach in the language that you are learning. So it gives you extra incentive to practice. Essentially, if you are not willing to put the extra effort in, then it probably wouldn't suit you.

The beginner's course focuses much more on the reading and writing than the speaking. I think they have more speaking at a later time in the course

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
would you have problem learning a language if you didn't do that language for HSC?

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
would you have problem learning a language if you didn't do that language for HSC?
Not really, because there are different levels of language teaching. There is one stream for those who have no background, one stream for those who completed beginners, one stream for those who did continuers and one for those who did extension/background.

Some knowledge of the language beforehand would help though

X

xeuyrawp

Nope - lots of people start at uni.

I did a language in the HSC, but didn't continue it at uni. At uni I've done about five languages.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Learning a language is one of the most rewarding educational experiences that you can have and something I believe everyone should try. Learning a foreign language teaches you about English and gives you a greater appreciation of those who try and struggle to speak English.

Languages as university are hard and do require more time commitment than most subjects. You need to practice constantly. Try not to see it just as subjects that need to be completed as you need to use it even during university breaks (most of the year). I didn't like learning languages at uni but have enjoyed studying foreign languages overseas. If you study a language at uni be prepared to put in the effort, seek out opportunities to use the language (tandem, newspapers, sbs, radio, forums). You will learn faster making lots of mistakes but always trying than waiting to feel comfortable before opening your mouth.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
my experience of languages at uni is basically the same as everyone else's - it goes fast, and you need to keep up and make sure you learn all the vocabulary and grammar each week, because if you start slipping then you'll get hopelessly lost. discipline is very much the key.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
You don't need to go to Uni to learn a Language; IMO it is a complete waste of time/money. I think the ideal way to learn a language would be to go and live/work in a country that speaks that language. Otherwise there are a ton of books/workshops/tutors/short course that cost way less, and allow you to study something worth wild at uni.

X

xeuyrawp

You don't need to go to Uni to learn a Language; IMO it is a complete waste of time/money. I think the ideal way to learn a language would be to go and live/work in a country that speaks that language. Otherwise there are a ton of books/workshops/tutors/short course that cost way less, and allow you to study something worth wild at uni.
That's just silly. :S

Kelzi

HSC
Oh dear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)