studying=homework? (1 Viewer)

MW4521

HSC
N/A
When people say they study X hours a day....do they mean JUST studying, or studying + homework....

enoilgam

HSC
When people say they study X hours a day....do they mean JUST studying, or studying + homework....
It depends, some people consider it study others dont. For me, study covers homework and personal study - but thats one interpretation.

Skeptyks

HSC
For me, homework for maths usually involves doing the whole chapter (like many schools probably) and that would be, in that case, counted as "study" for that topic of maths.
For something like Ancient History or Economics, writing notes or answering questions is not quite studying and I feel that I have to re-read over the points/answers that I just made.
For English well... I don't really study for it... It just comes down to memorising for exams.

Generally people refer to studying as work that is not homework. So when people say X hours of study, they mean just pure studying hours.

SanjoyM

HSC
Excluding homework! Regular homework reinforces the content you have learnt in class. Studying is completely different! Studying can be considered as revising previous chapters, answering practice questions under TIME CONSTRAINTS, and actually attaining a deeper or elevated understanding of the module/chapter. For me, Homework is not the same as studying.
BTW, making notes is NOT studying, although some people do tend to think it is as it is revision.

However, many people have different views!

Hope that helps. Sorry for the informal language! In a rush.... SO MANY ASSESSMENTS and EXAMS! (lol)

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I count my study as work done outside timetabled classes. So in my study periods and after school.

This encompasses homework, assignments and study. Because our homework is really a form of a study mostly...

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I count my study as work done outside timetabled classes. So in my study periods and after school.

This encompasses homework, assignments and study. Because our homework is really a form of a study mostly...
I agree with this, although I know lots of people who class study as any non-compulsory work, so they don't include homework.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I barely do homework properly. View it as a waste of time tbh if it doesn't directly deal with what i'm learning.

Instead i revise what i'm not too sure about/try to learn topics ahead.

enoilgam

HSC
I barely do homework properly. View it as a waste of time tbh if it doesn't directly deal with what i'm learning.
Agreed, I found most of the homework in my subjects (with the exception of maths) to be an utter waste of time.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Homework is definitely studying by definition.
Studying: The devotion of time and attention to acquiring knowledge on an academic subject.

The moment you do homework, that is devoting time to acquire knowledge.

Don't forget that homework is studying but studying isn't necessarily homework.

Bobbo1

HSC
Agreed, I found most of the homework in my subjects (with the exception of maths) to be an utter waste of time.
Yep, often your teachers will set homework just out of their personal interest which may not be part of the syllabus. In this case just try and avoid it. Just make sure to have the syllabus (printed) with you at all times and stick close to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)