studying in the holidays (1 Viewer)

onepunchboy123

HSC
Whats the best approach to working in the holidays , i want to do some study just don't know where to start. how can i efficiently use my time instead of just doing whatever.
Download notes in the resources section and just read those or write out my own ?
My subjects are:
- 2u math
- CHem
- Business
- Adv eng
- eco

Shuuya

HSC
I suggest making your own notes because that way you can use a variety of sources and it will probably help you retain the information better --- otherwise its pretty much like reading the textbook without doing anything else. But if you're feeling lazy, reading through the resources should also be useful :lol:

I think writing up a schedule and dedicating a week or so to each subject would also be useful, because then you can seriously attempt some past papers in the remaining time.

Well that's what I'm planning to do anyway, lets see how well that goes :D

bangali

HSC
In maths, you don't need notes - just work through the textbook doing the exercises.

English, read your texts (again hopefully), start a quote bank and start pulling apart your themes, characters, techniques, author's values, ideas etc. Generating your own ideas rather than just coughing up other people's is what's going to make you stand out.

Theory based subjects, definitely don't just read someone else's. Your goal is to understand and remember the content, and that's not going to happen through reading without processing - it'll just be in one eye out the other.

Instead, when you're reading the textbook and/or someone else's notes:
- verbally summarise in your own words after reading each paragraph
- take really concise summary notes, again in your own words and probably with a different structure, just so you're processing it and understanding it
- google anything you don't get (and try Khan Academy/youtube vids too - combine multiple sources in your notes)
- test yourself afterwards by creating questions from the content, like 'what is recession and what is its impact', and trying to explain it without notes rather than just rote learn

Make sure that every time you read, you've really understood and process it, and verify this by testing/active recall. It takes more effort, but it's far more efficient to actually learn it thoroughly in one go so you don't have to spend very long.

Edit: contrary to above, I wouldn't try prac exams yet - leave them till you've actually learnt the content, because otherwise they're not that helpful.

Last edited:

rawrliongirl

HSC
I'd start making syllabus notes for Chem, Business and Eco. As others have said it is best to make your own. I'd try and get as much of those notes done during these holidays as it's less hassle for when you go back to school. Then when it comes to exam time you can go over your own notes and have more time to attempt practice questions.
I don't really have any advice for maths/adv English bc those were my weak points and I never really did anything for them. I guess with maths if you're really bothered you could just do exercises.

Mathsisfun15

HSC
Firstly ensure you fully understand the previous terms work (as well as the preliminary course for Mathematics).
Then read any texts or material that are needed to be studied for previous terms for subjects like English.
Then you can try and teach yourself some of the next terms work. This will make it easier when you learn it in class meaning you can revise earlier and don't waste time trying to understand concepts.
Don't forget to revise the previous terms work later in the holidays

Also don't stress if you don't do as much work as planned in the January holidays. It definitely helps but it isn't essential since most assessments will be at the end of term 1. I know that 3/6 99s at my school barely did any work in those holidays (I read my English text for terms one and two and pretty much nothing besides that) just make sure you get back into it come the term.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
i wish my little brother would see this thread and be motivated rather than playing LoL all day

Kolmias

HSC
I'm going to be studying all through the holidays. Everyday, I am going to wake up at 4am and I'll go to bed 2am.

You don't need to sleep. People who sleep don't got 99.95 ATARs.

:tongue:

leehuan

HSC
I'm going to be studying all through the holidays. Everyday, I am going to wake up at 4am and I'll go to bed 2am.

You're not even in Yr 11 >_>

helloimyellow

HSC
bangali pretty much nailed it, but I thought I would add that for chem, try to compile your notes from a variety of resources and check any discrepancies between them as I remember CC had a couple mistakes when I was making notes. Also, around week 3 (I know this isn't holidays but oh well), try to start doing HSC past papers for chem (skipping anything that you haven't learnt yet or isn't assessable in your half yearlies) as I found that most of my cohort were not doing that and only relied on the 1-2 past papers our school provided.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

nah sleep is good for memory retention and for good health which prevents need for sick-days, fatigue or crashing hard.
for the past-papers; I have some half-yearlies up; but for the moment the site is off for the week.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Even skim reading the content will help for theory based subjects. And for maths, just go through some questions and their solutions to grasp the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)