Studying japanese unaided (1 Viewer)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Oki, im currently studying japanese at home here. I'm not doing it thru any sort of course or anything so ...
a) What advise do you have that might help me? ie pit falls to avoid.
b) What books do you reccommend or websites?

I have a book here that shows me how to draw kana and kanji.. but other than that its not really any use. It might be in the future.. but not now. So yeh.. Anyone?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
make sure your pronounciation is right... cos the japanese vowels are a lot simpler than english vowels and its easy to make mistakes in pronounciation

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by eviltama
Oki, im currently studying japanese at home here. I'm not doing it thru any sort of course or anything so ...
a) What advise do you have that might help me? ie pit falls to avoid.
b) What books do you reccommend or websites?

I have a book here that shows me how to draw kana and kanji.. but other than that its not really any use. It might be in the future.. but not now. So yeh.. Anyone?
What's your motivation?

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Frigid

JSG :D
Originally posted by Newbie
THATS MY MOTIVATION TOO :(
Hey at least you 2 are honest :p

Well, the Japanese girls at uni aren't school girls anymore (although they would have brought their uniform here for some reason). They'd be more interested in learning English from/with you, but I'm sure speaking Japanese with them could be an interesting novelty.

Unless you wanna get your degree, go to Japan and become a Papa ;)

Papa = older man, who pays JSGs to spend time with him

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
What's your motivation?
1) the language itself.
2) the culture
3) anime and music

^_^
I love learning new languages, i just have never undertaken to learn one entirely by myself before.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha, be careful boys. I am told the "J-Girls" at uni are excellent at manipulating guys like you to their own English-learning ends.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Haha, be careful boys. I am told the "J-Girls" at uni are excellent at manipulating guys like you to their own English-learning ends.
when its mutual *cough* it's no longer manipulation... haha i'm having enough trouble keeping up with my degree... no time to learn my kanji (that is, real kanji), no time to learn another asian language.

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Originally posted by Frigid

when its mutual *cough* it's no longer manipulation...
I guess you now understand why Korean and Japanese girls tend to stick together at uni? We're often singled out by non-Korean/Japanese guys, just because we "look different" to Chinese/generic asians.

Some people at uni get the impression that K & J girls are "picky" when it comes to men etc, and guess what? It's probably true - seeing as though we're rarely sure whether people are genuinely interested in getting to know us, or just in the novelty of having a K/J girlfriend. Yes, some of us may have larger eyes, some of us might have a few freckles on our pale cheeks, some of us bleach our hair. I'm starting to agree more and more with what Takuya has said in the past - and it's upsetting.

Robert, not many Japanese or Korean girls would manipulate a guy to their English-learning ends. Often when befriending English-speakers, there's no hidden agenda - I know I want to learn English from them, and they may want to learn Japanese or more about Japanese culture from me.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha *ducks from the massive generalisations flying around*

hey eviltama, just watch lots of japanese drama, it got me through HSC japanese with minimal study.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by j-belle
Some people at uni get the impression that K & J girls are "picky" when it comes to men etc, and guess what? It's probably true - seeing as though we're rarely sure whether people are genuinely interested in getting to know us, or just in the novelty of having a K/J girlfriend. Yes, some of us may have larger eyes, some of us might have a few freckles on our pale cheeks, some of us bleach our hair. I'm starting to agree more and more with what Takuya has said in the past - and it's upsetting.
there-there yumi...

we joke around a lot in these forums, but i dun think what we say here is necessarily reflective of the real world... to be honest, in real life, i know zer0 japanese girls (nor will i actively go out to seek them)...

i would like to think that people don't like others because of superficial reasons or differences...

yumi any offence wasn't intended. sorry lah :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
cut the nice guy bullshit frigid

i got the number of that unsw jap chick you like
read your pm

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
liar! :p

and newais, why would i go to unsw when i have uts? such reasoning is non sequitur.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha speak for yourself, i am actively seeking japanese boys

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sorry Yumi, I thought my tone would reveal my intent. I didn't mean anything I said in that post, it was more of a bait aimed at Frigid. I don't expect anyone to understand (perhaps not even him). :p

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
haha speak for yourself, i am actively seeking japanese boys
haha same here! tho i tend to go for chinese guys more than japanese guys... based on asthetic relevance to wufei *cough*

tho japanese chicks are cool, n sexy ^_^ Just a shame i only knew one at uws.

is a roflcopter
HSC
HI IM CHINESE!

SORRY I DONT DO YAOI :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)