Studying Maths at Uni (1 Viewer)

vds700

HSC
I know there has been some discussion about this topic already but I have some specific questions:

1)Which unis in sydney offer maths degrees and what sort of UAI do u need?

2)Is there much calculus involved? coz thats my favourite area in 3 and 4 unit maths this year.

3)What sort of career paths does a maths degree lead to (specific jobs)? (I'm not interested in a high pay, i just want a job that i will enjoy)

4) People currently studying maths, are u enjoying it?

MiiU MiiU

HSC
N/A
Commerce has lots of maths in it.
Some of my comm subjetcs have stuff from 3unit and 4unit, but new stuff keep coming up and harder stuff following through from 2unt like compound interest... {simplest example, they're pretty complex sometimes :S}

You can study maths with music on = rule

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
vds700 said:
I know there has been some discussion about this topic already but I have some specific questions:

1)Which unis in sydney offer maths degrees and what sort of UAI do u need?

2)Is there much calculus involved? coz thats my favourite area in 3 and 4 unit maths this year.

3)What sort of career paths does a maths degree lead to (specific jobs)? (I'm not interested in a high pay, i just want a job that i will enjoy)

4) People currently studying maths, are u enjoying it?
1) I think all science degrees require compulsory first year maths. If you want to major in maths, go for BSc (USyd UAI 80+), BSc(Adv) (USyd UAI 96+), BSc(Adv Maths) (USyd UAI 98-99) or any combined degrees involving one of those 3.

2) There are specific calculus courses and they always extend to 3 dimensions (x,y,z axes) and will involve vectors.

3) Depends on what type of Maths you are doing. There's financial maths and statistics (not the boring junior HS type, the more calculus based type) which are self explanatory. Applied maths, you can do some stuff with physics, chemistry and engineering etc. Pure maths, mainly research I think....and of course there are maths teachers.

4) I'm studying maths at the moment and I find it very interesting. It gets very difficult and challenging at times when learning new concepts, much like learning Extension 2 maths for the first time. I particularly liked the Integral Calculus and Modelling course in first year, where we learned to solve differential equations up to second order...(but mainly because it was easy and I love integration lol)

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
Trebla said:
1) I think all science degrees require compulsory first year maths. If you want to major in maths, go for BSc (USyd UAI 80+), BSc(Adv) (USyd UAI 96+), BSc(Adv Maths) (USyd UAI 98-99) or any combined degrees involving one of those 3.

2) There are specific calculus courses and they always extend to 3 dimensions (x,y,z axes) and will involve vectors.

3) Depends on what type of Maths you are doing. There's financial maths and statistics (not the boring junior HS type, the more calculus based type) which are self explanatory. Applied maths, you can do some stuff with physics, chemistry and engineering etc. Pure maths, mainly research I think....and of course there are maths teachers.

4) I'm studying maths at the moment and I find it very interesting. It gets very difficult and challenging at times when learning new concepts, much like learning Extension 2 maths for the first time. I particularly liked the Integral Calculus and Modelling course in first year, where we learned to solve differential equations up to second order...(but mainly because it was easy and I love integration lol)
thanks for the replies.

im now considering commerce as well as science and maths

Trebla could I ask what degree you are doing and which uni you are at? The calculus, financial/statistics and applied maths sounds interesting to me.

i love integration too! lol

Affinity

HSC
Only pure maths is real maths :p
You might also consider electrical engineering (You learn real applied maths here). Commerce almost has no serious maths in it..atleast for undergrads. (except actuarial studies - which is essentially statistics). Although you would probably find lecturers and tutors in disciplines such as finance and economics spending hours on simple mathematics or some pedantic point in maths when they should be concentrating on something else (I didn't go to take a commerce class to learn some maths when some other place teaches it better).

1.) Usyd or UNSW.
2.) There's a lot more than calculus, linear algebra will be indispensible and you get other interesting things... I am writing a honours thesis on stochastic analysis at the moment.. Think of it as calculus with random noise.
3.) Depends on what you study exactly and your other competencies, if you are looking to land a certain career base on a degree, do Accounting/Law/Medicine/EE/.
4.) Give it a go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)