studying (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok so basically i wanna know how u guys study 4 languages.

especially listening, and comprehensions. do u just learn vocab & practice? because before exams i always have trouble deciding what 2 do and so i eventually end up doing past papers, which i'm thinking is the best thing. and 4 the essays do u pre-learn sentences?

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
well, over the past two years, these have come in really handy:

listening - past papers, SBS radio (97.7 FM) at 8am, 6pm, 11pm

reading/writing - emailing italians, friends, etc, continually writing vocab lists.. things that don't make sense in word for word translation like "in bocca al lupo"

speaking: talking to friends, myself hehe

hey if you wanna practice, write to me: mei_ling03@yahoo.it :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok well on the subject of radio u may be interested:

movimento fm 98.5 mon-thur 5-6pm and sat 6-7pm

la dolce vita 88.1fm thurs 8-10pm

they play italian songs. the hosts on movimento speak in eng, and on dolce i'm not sure, but the songs r cool!

s2ophie

HSC
studying for italian

I go to a regional school and the nearest school that teaches italian apart from my school is two hours away. We have a really great teacher though which helps a lot.

For speaking we each have a 20 minute individual session in class once a week where we go through a list of questions that they are most likely to answer and basically develop a 'bank' of answers to use. It works really well.

For listening seeing we all went pretty badly in the last assesment we are now doing practice listening exercises from past HSC's almost everyday. This is helping a lot. Also there is practice listening exercises at www.hsc.csu.edu.au

It would be really great if anyone who does italian could e-mail me in italian and just practice writing to each other. My e-mail is : s2ophie@aol.com

Ciao!!

s2ophie

HSC
I mean by a regional school as in a school not in the city. Like the Riverina Region.

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
ohh... well in that case i go to one too... penrith high, that is.
i just saw "next school", "two hours away" and i thought woop woop land hehe.
your school's study plan sounds pretty good. at the moment we're not even finished all the work so instead we get hsc papers to complete at home.

i'm wondering, who here does italian and IS italian... man what a wrought!

span23

Ciao!! Io faccio L'italiano quest'anno e vorrei scrivere a un altro studente del'italiano, cosi posso practicare la mia scrittura. Il mio indirizzo di email e`hanna562@hotmial.com
Grazie mille!

Kakie

has anyone finished all the actual class work? what books are you using? ooh and how awesome is this line - se avessi saputo ke tu venissi avrei fatto una torta! i love it, gonna try and use it in speaking!!

s2ophie

HSC
we use the distant ed units ( ithink that what thye are)

We are up to the 23rd unit - all about writing letters

s2ophie

HSC
also has anyone been to an italian study day?

I am going to one tomorrow in griffith.

N

ND

What do you actually do in italian? Is it just grammar and vocab type stuff? Or do you have to analyse and write essays (like in english)?

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
yeah just grammar and vocab really. there's no way i'd survive studying essays in italian. i think they do something similar in 3U tho. actually i did a writing test today.. had to write 600 words in italian..so daymn it did feel like one!
for writing tests we basically get given text types like writing letters, speeches etc and do comprehension stuff for reading and listening. the speaking part is self explanatory so yeah...

N

ND

Ah that's not too bad then. Still 600 words is quite a bit, i only write like 1000 per essay in english.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, 3u is more like our english. they analyse movies and i think there may even be a part where they get 2 write in english (in some of the languages there is anyway).

Kakie

nah in the italian 3U they have to study Jack e` usito il gruppo...a film - and they have to do a monologue for their speaking, the movies isnt bad and the monologue they have all year to learn i think and it cant be so hard!!
as far as i know there is no english part!! how could they have english in a language exam??!!?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
in some of the languaues one of the sections is actually 2 write about techniques and stuff in english. u need 2 have a sound understanding of the text in the foreign language thou 2 actually b able 2 write about it in eng.

s2ophie

HSC
gosh 600 words seems excessive. the most you could need to write in the HSC is 250.

Well i went to the study day today. I was OK but....

it wasn't like we did stuff we didn't know but it was really good to do speaking practice with someone we didn't know cos it was so much easier. i mean my teacher knows all my prepared answers and i know that he knows that i have prepared a question which makes it harder to sound converstational? Capicshe?

Anyway, what we did was the italian consultant lady at the Dept of Ed came down (giusseppina) and she had prepared a practice exam. We went through the listening which was supposedly harder but it was ok. The way we went through it was the exact seem as in class. Then my teacher went through this reading and responding theing which was a waste of time cos we have him all the time!!! We then did speaking in groups. Then we went through a writing theing where we had to design a website. that was good cos that question would have thrown me

Anyway, yeah it was alright. THe speaking was the most worthwhile however weiging up with 6hrs travel time is tricky. If the meringues hadn't been so good at the pasticceria....

s2ophie

HSC
We basically do a mix of grammar work and going through the main dotpoints in the syllabus like my personal world, world of work etc. Using the distance ed books they have converstaion and practices and stuff that we go through, and our teacher gives us extra work. We always have HW like past reading and responding or reading or writing about what we have been learning about

yeah thats about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)