STupid question (1 Viewer)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
well not really just something i was wondering with my friends
In highschool we used folders, or books with each subject etc
So do people at uni use this sort of thing... not as school looking as HS but still the same or just write notes on pads of paper etc and organise later?

I dont think i worded that one all that well
BUt yeah whats the general go on things like that :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It really depends on the person you are. I used 4 lecture notebooks one for each subject each semester that way I could keep all the work in a book for easy reference during lectures and tuts. And it saves carrying a heavy folder around. But I did need to use a folder during biology pracs ... so i think it will really depend on the subjects you do.

I had a separate folder at home where I put my assignments and any additional work which I didn't need in class.

These folders are now stored away with all the semesters work in them incase I need them for future reference.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cape again.

Oh i c that makes sense. I dont think i will carry around the folder... that was heavy even in HS. So would you get like the 3 or 5 subject books or isnt there enough in there

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
3 to 5 subject books - there is no where enough room - well for me there wasn't ... I would usually go through atleast 3/4 of a 148 page lecture pad during a semester.

S

Shuter

Do many people use laptops? (I know there may be less because you go to UWS)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Well the campus I go to, I haven't seen one person take notes in class down on a laptop.

But people bring laptops to do work on, extremely popular when assessments are due and you can't get onto a computer in the IT labs.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yeah, I usually take lecture notes by hand, and leave my lappy in my baggy.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Cape said:
3 to 5 subject books - there is no where enough room - well for me there wasn't ... I would usually go through atleast 3/4 of a 148 page lecture pad during a semester.
it seemed a little small to me ...just asking

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I have a laptop now, so I tend to use that a lot more now, but not in lectures. In lectures, I usually write notes on the lecture notes (like if you print them out with lines next to them its good to write notes on). If I have to write anything extra then I just write on a piece of paper. I try to be organised, but it doesn't happen :p. I usually have a display folder for each subject to keep all my notes in, but usually that ends up either not being used, or I just shove things in without putting it into the sleeves. I can usually find my stuff still, so its alright. As Cape said, it depends on how organised you are. Give it a go during the first few weeks of semester and see what you are comfortable with, as only you know what's best for you.

As for buying material, I suggest you buy it within the next 2 weeks or so, since the back to school sales are on, as most things are cheap at the moment! You might even want to buy your semester 2 stuff as well.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yeah thats what i was thinking...... and the reason i asked.
I will wait till i get an offer first though. IF i get an offer.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Katie123 said:
well not really just something i was wondering with my friends
In highschool we used folders, or books with each subject etc
So do people at uni use this sort of thing... not as school looking as HS but still the same or just write notes on pads of paper etc and organise later?

I dont think i worded that one all that well
BUt yeah whats the general go on things like that :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
really depends on you
some people write on toilet paper, some dont even take notes

i use loose leaf paper and organise it all. The reason, if you lose your book, you lose all the lectures worth that was in the book. Also you will find annoying people you don't even like asking you for your notes (coz they're stupid and think they've got better things to do than goto uni).

I tried the separate books thing in first year. Those just fell apart. Folders are the way to go. Your notes will be in mint condition right up to the exams when organised notes make the difference when you're cramming in all your stuff :)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
TOILET PAPER!!! SERIOUS? or are you kidding. I am having a blonde day and cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
oh yeh
and on days when you have like 4-5 different lectures carrying all those books along with other stuff will be an uber pain in the butt
whereas using a folder with loose-leaf, you can leave the previous weeks worth of notes at home and have the notes you need for the week along with the minimal amount of paper u need to get through the week

long sentence :p

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bob.J again.
Yeah that makes sense. I might get things when my brothers do and just see what i use

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Katie123 said:
TOILET PAPER!!! SERIOUS? or are you kidding. I am having a blonde day and cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not
ive seen tightarses using 10cmX5cm notepads that cost 50cents during lectures

i also know a guy who is really cheap with his paper and fits a whole maths lectures worth on one side of an A4 lined sheet of paper (5 columns, really tiny handwriting)

in other words...i was joking but there will be cheap people who either use no paper or be pov and write on old paper or things like that

S

Shuter

Will people look at me odly if I use a laptop? I just type so much faster than I can write. And do people record ever record the lectures and stuff?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Shuter said:
Will people look at me odly if I use a laptop? I just type so much faster than I can write. And do people record ever record the lectures and stuff?
yeh some people show off their imported recorders and record the lectures. I go out of my way to drown out the lecturers voice :))

i never see anyone using a laptop to take notes during lectures ( i think i just wastes battery power)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Bob.J said:
yeh some people show off their imported recorders and record the lectures. I go out of my way to drown out the lecturers voice :))

i never see anyone using a laptop to take notes during lectures ( i think i just wastes battery power)
Would you drown out $29 officeworks ones?

S

Shuter

Bob.J said:

My phone does it, so that's why I thought it may be useful/conveinient. Ahh well, I'll probably end up being one of those people who doesn't take notes anywy, much less even turn up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)