STupid question (2 Viewers)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i think my mp3 player has a recorder but its cheap so dont know how good it would work

klh

HSC
wow, it seems that girls are more organised than guys...i just buy tons and tons of A4 writing paper with holes punched into them as my tutors like loose leaf instead of books to mark and also all i need is paper for notes. i tend to make summaries after what ive learnt in the day for each subject so loose leaf is fine and i put it in my clipboard.
ive rarely seen tape recorders and laptops but some do have them. i dont use a tape recorder because some lecturers are tightarses and wont let you record their lectures.
ummm, some people might get pissed at the constant sound of the tapping of the keboard and thats why they may look at you, like ive done countless times but i got used to it.
i use those cheapy notpads at uni but then its was more paper to throw and i had to copy it over again which was a pain plus i flet embarrased with the other people who have these really organised folder and me with all this paper in my bag.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I dunno about other lecturers, but the lecturers I have had so far don't let us use laptops cause they think that we play games on them instead of typing notes, which would probably be true ... get bored in the lecture and play solitaire or something.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i bought a laptop (the one on the front page of the officeworks catalogue :)) but i think that will be mainly used for typing up assignments and notes and things.

for me, it's like starting yr 11 all over again, i say i'm going to be organised but i know deep down, it will last for about, say, a week max!! :D

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Some of our lecture theatres have wireless connection coverage, so I use my laptop in the lectures to surf the net sometimes when I get bored, lol. Same goes for tutorials. That's probably all its useful for in a lecture as I take notes on my lecture notes as I stated earlier.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Shuter said:
Will people look at me odly if I use a laptop? I just type so much faster than I can write. And do people record ever record the lectures and stuff?
it depends what degree you do

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Bob.J said:
in other words...i was joking but there will be cheap people who either use no paper or be pov and write on old paper or things like that
cheap or environmentally friendly?? i often grab a pile of paper out of the recylcing bins in the print/copy rooms, staple that together and use it for notes..

as for being organised.. i then take this home and organise my notes into four display folders, one for each course..

klh

HSC
its soo true mishka, i told myself to be organised and try as i might, i just dont care for it throughout the semester until finals come round.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I just use one perforated pad and file my notes away in a folder as I go...
Cool system, cos you really only carry one book all the time...
You just have 2 be organised, coz u might need prior notes for ur next lect or tute... so yeh

S

Shuter

jm1234567890 said:
it depends what degree you do
Yeah I suppose Computers degrees may be more likely to have them.

I'll be doing Business in some form and maybe Computers as well. Surely all those asians in Business must use some laptops.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Shuter said:
Do many people use laptops? (I know there may be less because you go to UWS)
I had to get a laptop to access the wireless internet - didn't have dial-up where I was staying.
But anyway, I used 4 exercise books for each unit and kept lecture note in those display folders/pocket folders.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I think about 5 ppl have told me they use one folder jam-packed with loose leaf paper, they just mark each paper (like 1/30pgs for week 3 of Semester 1 etc) and when they get home, they just take out each subject notes for the day and file them in a seperate folder for safe-keeping. I tried the whole 5 seperate notebooks thing too, and I lost every one!! But, b/c I started doing the loose leaf technique in the beginning of the term (then got lazy) I at least had half my notes to work with, as they were easily accessible, mint condition and weren't being recycled....(mum decided to be helpful and clean up the computer room where my books where......so long notes!)

numbering/marking each page helps a lot - b/c at least you know when you loose one a lot sooner than the night before an exam (like what happened to me!) and you spend half the night trying to figure out which bit went where!

MM

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
BTW - it's not a stupid question! we all have to ask these things...otherwise how the hell will we ever find out? (without looking like a tool on the first day..)

Seriously - this is a dumb blonde moment: I thought I had to attend all the tutorials, as in "tutorial 1-7" for the day.....it wasn't until my friend who's already at uni said that I choose which time suits me and got to the one. ... I mean, how was I meant to know? It just said "tutorial 1-7".....I thought it meant Tutorial part 1 - 7.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
What has having less laptop users and UWS got to do with each other?
UWS students are in general from lower income families compared to city unis and may not be able to afford them.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Shuter said:
UWS students are in general from lower income families compared to city unis and may not be able to afford them.
pfft ... your sterotypicaling again ... you would actually be surprised how many people actually live in towards the city and travel to uws. Plus I'm pretty sure that everyone (since theres like only 40 people in my course) has a laptop ... but sometimes its just unneccessary to bring to lectures.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
MissMacbeth said:
BTW - it's not a stupid question! we all have to ask these things...otherwise how the hell will we ever find out? (without looking like a tool on the first day..)

Seriously - this is a dumb blonde moment: I thought I had to attend all the tutorials, as in "tutorial 1-7" for the day.....it wasn't until my friend who's already at uni said that I choose which time suits me and got to the one. ... I mean, how was I meant to know? It just said "tutorial 1-7".....I thought it meant Tutorial part 1 - 7.
I would have probably thought that too.
I know its not a stupid question now because so many people have answered it

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
don't worry katie123 ... I was like that last year. You and your friends will soon learn about how it all works.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
MissMacbeth said:

lol... i would have done that to.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I took notes in 2004 by writing my arse off during lectures. I didn't stop writing most of the time. However, I learn by writing things down.

As for laptops, they're sometimes a problem. Many ways actually. The biggest problem is that they can easily distract you. One might want to play games, or go online, or show something off to one's friends, which is a major distraction from the topic at hand. Another way is that laptops, being computers may sometimes die, resulting in a loss of everything. Also, you don't get to type your answers up in the final on a laptop. If you're slow at handwriting, then lectures are a great place to speed yourself up. Even relearn the skill of running writing.

If you must have notes on a computer (and some people find it easier to look up things they don't know since they can use CTRL+F to search for a term), then type them up after the lecture, and after you've written them. You're supposed to spend a certain amount of time per week going over notes, and a great way to go over your notes (I've found) is by typing them up AFTER you've written them.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
LOL an even lazier idea is to get one of those new computers that lets you write and it puts it automatically onto the computer - I think they're called electronic notepads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)