Sub major...important? (1 Viewer)

krisspy

HSC
Hai guys,

I was wondering...how important is a sub major? Will it actually make/break a job opportunity or is it something one can live without?

This is because im doing B Engineering and ive decided to use one of my electives to do Maths for retards (Fundamentals of maths) now its either delay my degree by 6months and get a sub major or finish on time and not get a sub major.

And btw, whats Maths for Engineers 1 like? in terms of difficulty compared to highschool maths (ext1, ext2), drop-out rate?

Any thoughs appreciated

OMGRX7

HSC
bulllshi* ext2...? what if i got band 5 in mathematics, would i cope without the fundementals???????/

krisspy

HSC
OMGRX7 said:
bulllshi* ext2...? what if i got band 5 in mathematics, would i cope without the fundementals???????/
He was talking about the Math for Engineers 1. Well the uni does say Band 4-5 2u maths can handle it. Im pretty sure fundamentals is like 2u and maybe ext 1

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
No, sub-majors are not important. I doubt an employer would care much unless you want to get into a specific engineering career, but a Major in that would look more impressive. But generally employers would put most emphasis on your performance, pick out your fails or High Distinctions grades and look at your GPA overall. So if you want a good GPA, do the easy units as your electives. A good GPA would look more attractive to an employer than someone who had 10 sub-majors but had a poor GPA.

So in your case, delaying your degree for a sub-major is a bad idea, especially with engineering, as you'd want to get out as soon as possible:D

boris2003

HSC
RabbitRabbit said:
No, sub-majors are not important. I doubt an employer would care much unless you want to get into a specific engineering career, but a Major in that would look more impressive. But generally employers would put most emphasis on your performance, pick out your fails or High Distinctions grades and look at your GPA overall. So if you want a good GPA, do the easy units as your electives. A good GPA would look more attractive to an employer than someone who had 10 sub-majors but had a poor GPA.

So in your case, delaying your degree for a sub-major is a bad idea, especially with engineering, as you'd want to get out as soon as possible:D
Interesting, i thought they just look at your certificate of the degree you did:hammer:, so if you get all passes and your GPA is whatever..., he/she won't hire you:cool:

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
^ yeah, usually employers would assess you with other potential graduates by looking at your Uni marks, but they only do this for the first few years after you graduate with a degree or while your studying as an undergrad.

I'd say 5 years after graduation, the marks and Uni is not really relevant besides the fact if you have gained a bachelors qualification,.. so they may not even look at your grades after that, but instead look at what experience you have gained and your references.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)