Subgenres of crime fiction (1 Viewer)

ellejay145

HSC
I apoligise to anyone who thinks i did not read there post, because i dont have time to read them all, im supposed to be studying at the moment. However i did want to add something -
People who think "postmodern" can be a subgenre of crime fiction ... do they even think about what they are saying ? The postmodern genre or literary movement is firstly a genre in itself, not a subgenre, and it is also one such genre which has its main aim of not being labelled or classified - which is what you are trying to do. Postmodern writing, i think, should be looked at as say, an "age" of writing, and not so much as a genre. I sort of lost my train of thought ... but anyone who reads this, as NO ONE reads threads i start myself :confused: , can i please have your thoughts on the audiences for these two texts, if you have read them;
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon
The No.1 Ladied Detective Agency - Alexander Mccall Smith
please and thank you

ellejay145

HSC
and one more thing, i think TRIH is great; its funny, thoughtful, yet mind boggling.:eek:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ellejay145 said:
People who think "postmodern" can be a subgenre of crime fiction ... do they even think about what they are saying ? The postmodern genre or literary movement is firstly a genre in itself, not a subgenre, and it is also one such genre which has its main aim of not being labelled or classified - which is what you are trying to do. Postmodern writing, i think, should be looked at as say, an "age" of writing, and not so much as a genre.
I think its innapropriate to consider the postmodern as a genre, its similar to saying feminism or racism or globalism are genres. Rather they are they are modes of thought which can be utilised in discourse (whether fictional or factual). However there are many writers who employ postmodernism in order to subvert (or perhaps even highlight) the traditional genre framework and create something slightly different.

ellejay145 said:
I sort of lost my train of thought ... but anyone who reads this, as NO ONE reads threads i start myself :confused: , can i please have your thoughts on the audiences for these two texts, if you have read them;
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon
The No.1 Ladied Detective Agency - Alexander Mccall Smith
please and thank you
I've posted something in the other thread for you.:)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
kami said:
I think its innapropriate to consider the postmodern as a genre, its similar to saying feminism or racism or globalism are genres. Rather they are they are modes of thought which can be utilised in discourse (whether fictional or factual). However there are many writers who employ postmodernism in order to subvert (or perhaps even highlight) the traditional genre framework and create something slightly different.
Agreed. Thanks for the interesting things to read in this thread Kami :)
Gotta love the word "subvert"

ellejay145

HSC
i agree "modes of thought which can be utilised in discourse "
and i also think this subject is very "touchy feely" and can be viewed from many different perspectives .. i have to be careful what i write incase i entirely confuse myself. thank you for ur post in the other thread kami .. and did you do the hsc at tafe?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ellejay145 said:
i agree "modes of thought which can be utilised in discourse "
and i also think this subject is very "touchy feely" and can be viewed from many different perspectives .. i have to be careful what i write incase i entirely confuse myself. thank you for ur post in the other thread kami .. and did you do the hsc at tafe?
I've always thought that it was part of an Extension subjects purpose to open your mind to the wide range of positions you can take on problems critically(whether it be in English, History, Mathematics, Music or Visual Arts). Which is part of why there is such a wide range - you as a writer (or historian, mathematician or artist depending on the subject) are meant to choose and think for yourself and develop your own sense of what is the best response. This is contrasted with the 'common' 2 unit subjects where there often is only a limited range of stances or methods you can employ.

You're welcome, and yes I did do the HSC at TAFE.

luscious_llama said:
Agreed. Thanks for the interesting things to read in this thread Kami
Gotta love the word "subvert"
You're welcome Lanelle.:)

And subvert is such a wonderful word, I think it was the 'sluttiest' piece of my vocab last year in extension.:p

ellejay145

HSC
Ah yes, that is true .. our teacher is continually telling us to "go out on a limb" and try to be different. That's cool, do you think tafe gave you a different education than you would have gotten through high school ?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ellejay145 said:
Ah yes, that is true .. our teacher is continually telling us to "go out on a limb" and try to be different.
I think that in many ways it isn't 'going out on a limb' but simply being a critical thinker and engaging with the material but because so rarely do students do that as opposed to popping out generic essays and stories its almost seen as something original and unusual when it should be matter of course in this subject.

ellejay145 said:
That's cool, do you think tafe gave you a different education than you would have gotten through high school ?
I think my time at TAFE taught me to be more independent than a high schooler, and I also had great teachers for most of my subjects. Otherwise the syllabi are the same so its just up to the student themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)