Subject Combination for Yr 12 (1 Viewer)

HazzaB7th

HSC
Currently, I am doing Ext. & Adv. Maths, Adv. English, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, and Geography.
I really enjoy Maths and Science and seeing as English is compulsory, I think for next year I will do the following Subjects:

Ext. 2 Maths
Ext. 1 Maths
(Advanced Maths)
Science Extension
Physics
Chemistry
Advanced (maybe Standard) English

Is this a good subject combination?

vinlatte

HSC
Currently, I am doing Ext. & Adv. Maths, Adv. English, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, and Geography.
I really enjoy Maths and Science and seeing as English is compulsory, I think for next year I will do the following Subjects:

Ext. 2 Maths
Ext. 1 Maths
(Advanced Maths)
Science Extension
Physics
Chemistry

A good subject combination should always suit the student's goals, skills and passion. If you think that these subjects are suitable for you, then no doubt they'll be a good combination.

But you also need to consider how well you would enjoy or perform in these subjects. Since you're still in yr 11, you should wait until its closer to yr 12 to decide what courses to drop or pick up. Maybe towards the end of yr 11, one subject may become dry and uninteresting or maybe you'll perform better than expected in another subject.

Also, don't think that a "good" subject combination has to have high scaling. If anyone studies well and puts in effort, a high mark in any subject will still be a high mark; no amount of low scaling can drag it down.

Plus the reason some subjects are high scaling is due to how content-heavy they are. Consider the workload of the subjects as well.

HazzaB7th

HSC
A good subject combination should always suit the student's goals, skills and passion. If you think that these subjects are suitable for you, then no doubt they'll be a good combination.

But you also need to consider how well you would enjoy or perform in these subjects. Since you're still in yr 11, you should wait until its closer to yr 12 to decide what courses to drop or pick up. Maybe towards the end of yr 11, one subject may become dry and uninteresting or maybe you'll perform better than expected in another subject.

Also, don't think that a "good" subject combination has to have high scaling. If anyone studies well and puts in effort, a high mark in any subject will still be a high mark; no amount of low scaling can drag it down.

Plus the reason some subjects are high scaling is due to how content-heavy they are. Consider the workload of the subjects as well.
I do think they will be a good combination.

You seem to think I would choose these because of scaling - but I simply enjoy doing maths and science. I can already tell I want to drop Economics - It's so dry. And geography is not particularly aligned with my interests - I would keep it if English was not compulsory, but it is :(

The workload does seem rather daunting - three extensions and especially maths 2 and science. But I think I'll enjoy them, very much.

Sorry if that sounds too defensive - I did ask the question. Thank you:)

vinlatte

HSC
I do think they will be a good combination.

You seem to think I would choose these because of scaling - but I simply enjoy doing maths and science. I can already tell I want to drop Economics - It's so dry. And geography is not particularly aligned with my interests - I would keep it if English was not compulsory, but it is :(

The workload does seem rather daunting - three extensions and especially maths 2 and science. But I think I'll enjoy them, very much.

Sorry if that sounds too defensive - I did ask the question. Thank you:)
I also didn't like economics at first, it didn't make much sense but eventually the concepts became clearer as the year went on. Especially now there's more news affecting the economy which is interesting to learn about.

I understand that you enjoy maths and science and I'm sure you will do well. Every STEM student wishes not to do english; myself included haha. I just added that advice because usually people choose the sciences and maths for scaling purposes.

For extension courses, make sure you develop a strong understanding of the content in the 2u courses. It will help in connecting and understanding more challenging concepts.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Ext. 2 Maths
Ext. 1 Maths
(Advanced Maths)
Science Extension
Physics
Chemistry

Yea as said above any combination is good. I liked science/maths so I did biology physics 4u and adv english even though bio + phys is a weird combination in some people's eyes - but I liked biology so I did well in it. Just pick what your interests are! Personally I still think a bit of the factor should be the scaling but it shouldn't be WHY you solely pick a subject.

Also IMO you should always do advanced english but I'm not sure if this is true or not, just what I thought back in year 12 - that advanced is just standard but including Shakespeare. I mean the work is pretty much the same right? Writing a creative and essays for both subjects. You could argue standard has easier marking but it also has lower scaling.

Just a random tip would be to make sure you understand the stuff in ext 2 maths and develop your problem solving throughout the year. For me at least, once I could comfortably do ext 2 questions, ext 1 questions all became easy af because the difficulty of maths ext 1 "hard" questions doesn't really compare to maths ext 2 "hard" questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)