subject prerequisites (1 Viewer)

Oz

HSC
just got the uai booklet thing yesterday and reading about what you need to get into courses i've seen a problem rising for myself.
the booklet says that one must first have all the SP's for a degree otherwise no matter what ur uai is you won't be considered.

seeing as i dropped math for year 12 i figured i could do a bridging course in jan and be off on my merry way (wanting to do BEc) however BEc at macq lists math band 2 as an SP a feat which i sadly lack. now i know macq offers bridging courses for those in my situation, but will by lack of math in the HSC stop me from even getting in in the first place?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i guess if you havent done one of the pre-requisities youre going to fall behind pretty fast.. and thats when theyll notice it

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
heyy i goto macquarie

and macquarie offers bridging courses but even if u do the bridging course for maths, it's not enough... you have to do at least math123 at least to get into some of the core subjects that u have to do to get your B Economics

And don't worry they're not going to stop you from getting into your degree if you haven't done 2 unit maths or anything. Even if it is a pre requisite you still get considered for it and everything ( dey just look at your uai or sometimes u do an interview or whatever) but just coz u didn't do 2 unit maths doesnt' mean they won't accept you

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
NSW Universities are bound by law not to have prerequisites to undergraduate courses - so in theory you are eligible for any course regardless of what you study in year 12.

However, "recommended studies" and "assumed knowledge" work like virtual prerequisites - if you don't study those units you will be in trouble (for a certain value of trouble, variant between courses and universities).

Interstate is more difficult. Not only are the universities able to prevent students from enrolling on the basis of not completing prerequisite subjects at school, the subjects are invariably more difficult than their NSW equivilents (mostly in Science) and you'll still be behind.

Oz

HSC
yeah thats the thing, i knew that i would have to do math 123, that wasn't worring me. just reading the uai booklet we just got sent stating that without pre reqs, and the only course i've placed down which has maths as a pre req rather than assumed knowledge or reccommended studies is BEc at macq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)