Subject selection dilemma need advice (1 Viewer)

yupyupyep

HSC
I cant make up my mind which subjects to do for year 11 any advice or opinions would be good

List so far:
Adv math (year has 8 classes I am in top class about 5/26)
Adv English (year has 8 classes I am in top class about 2-3/28)
Mod history (top 5 of class, classes not graded) - v interested in this subject
Eco - doing commerce this year about top 5, classes not graded
Legal - per above re commerce this year commerce has given my a small taste of eco & legal & I really want to do both of these but I'm not really keen on business studies

Now the dilemma:
My Math & English teachers both recommended I do extn so I could add extension in each to make 12 units....

But I also want to do French continuers (2/10) but do not want to take on 14 units & the school is very against 14 units.

So if I add French I need to choose between math & English extension- very different but I like both & feel like I am missing out if I dont take extension

Possible career/uni idea is Law but its an idea not a passion as I am not really sure about my direction as yet so want to have my options open.

Any opinions to add to the mix? :)

idkkdi

HSC
I cant make up my mind which subjects to do for year 11 any advice or opinions would be good

List so far:
Adv math (year has 8 classes I am in top class about 5/26)
Adv English (year has 8 classes I am in top class about 2-3/28)
Mod history (top 5 of class, classes not graded) - v interested in this subject
Eco - doing commerce this year about top 5, classes not graded
Legal - per above re commerce this year commerce has given my a small taste of eco & legal & I really want to do both of these but I'm not really keen on business studies

Now the dilemma:
My Math & English teachers both recommended I do extn so I could add extension in each to make 12 units....

But I also want to do French continuers (2/10) but do not want to take on 14 units & the school is very against 14 units.

So if I add French I need to choose between math & English extension- very different but I like both & feel like I am missing out if I dont take extension

Possible career/uni idea is Law but its an idea not a passion as I am not really sure about my direction as yet so want to have my options open.

Any opinions to add to the mix? :)
if ur going to do law, you can learn the legal stuff once u start your law degree. no need to do legal studies.
on the other hand you might never be able to learn french again.
i would take both ext subjects. definitely take x1 maths.

yupyupyep

HSC
I hadn't thought of that re: French ... good perspective ty

Pyros

HSC
I have a similar dilemma as I am unsure about the subjects required for actuarial studies for the prerequisites as I am only aware of commerce, business studies, economics, and extension 1 (3U) Maths.

Also does anyone know if I can do commerce for year 11 & 12 even though that wasn't one of my electives for year 9 & 10

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I have a similar dilemma as I am unsure about the subjects required for actuarial studies for the prerequisites as I am only aware of commerce, business studies, economics, and extension 1 (3U) Maths.

Also does anyone know if I can do commerce for year 11 & 12 even though that wasn't one of my electives for year 9 & 10
theres no commerce for year 11, all the topics you did or would've done in commerce were related to law, business, economics etc. Legal Studies goes further into law, business studies goes further into business topics and economics goes into the economics stuff u did and so on.

You can do them all if you want but I doubt its worth it. Also you don't need to study these humanities subjects for actuarial, its more important you're competent in math before entering the degree from what I've read/seen (since they don't assume eco/business and teach it in the course from ground up whereas they assume MX1 knowledge) [Can't say much abt it, someone doing actuarial might have better advice]. It might be worth considering physics if you're interested that.

I only took business and economics as my HSIE subjects and I stuck with economics since I've enjoyed it and abandoned business since I found it extremely boring. You could do the same.

libestraumno3

HSC
Now the dilemma:

i want to take the exact same subjects and have the same problem. the only difference is that i want to do chinese beginners.

i find legal studies enjoyable but also the least appealing compared to eco/mod. it doesnt help that it scales the lowest either. both of my teachers heavily encouraged me to take both ext but it also brings in the question of needing such an extensive knowledge of math for law???

but then again its legal and we both want to do law...

yupyupyep

HSC
i want to take the exact same subjects and have the same problem. the only difference is that i want to do chinese beginners.

i find legal studies enjoyable but also the least appealing compared to eco/mod. it doesnt help that it scales the lowest either. both of my teachers heavily encouraged me to take both ext but it also brings in the question of needing such an extensive knowledge of math for law???

but then again its legal and we both want to do law...
It's a tough choice - good point yes legal is lowest scaled. But I think I am leaning towards leaving math etxn out for exactly the reason you mentioned & I'll still have math advanced .....French is in & then that gives me 13 units & the option to drop 1-2 units if want for yr 12. But I am a bit on the fence still as I actually want to do math too LOL Good luck with your decision

idkkdi

HSC
theres no commerce for year 11, all the topics you did or would've done in commerce were related to law, business, economics etc. Legal Studies goes further into law, business studies goes further into business topics and economics goes into the economics stuff u did and so on.

You can do them all if you want but I doubt its worth it. Also you don't need to study these humanities subjects for actuarial, its more important you're competent in math before entering the degree from what I've read/seen (since they don't assume eco/business and teach it in the course from ground up whereas they assume MX1 knowledge) [Can't say much abt it, someone doing actuarial might have better advice]. It might be worth considering physics if you're interested that.

I only took business and economics as my HSIE subjects and I stuck with economics since I've enjoyed it and abandoned business since I found it extremely boring. You could do the same.

x1 and x2 maths are the most important subjects you can take if you want to go into actuarial studies.

libestraumno3

HSC
It's a tough choice - good point yes legal is lowest scaled. But I think I am leaning towards leaving math etxn out for exactly the reason you mentioned & I'll still have math advanced .....French is in & then that gives me 13 units & the option to drop 1-2 units if want for yr 12. But I am a bit on the fence still as I actually want to do math too LOL Good luck with your decision
yea i compared both of the syllabus' again and even though maths ext may scale higher my motivation for it is significantly lower than legal. ig its a good starting point if i really do want to do law. all the best with your subject selection!

learning a language is also beneficial as it opens up a lot of opportunities for international law if thats ur thing

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Its always good to choose MX1 if you're capable despite how you feel now (Unless you hate math with a passion) and just see how the first term or weeks go, then depending on if you like it or not, you can drop or keep it. I'm pretty sure they allow you to drop MX1 down to adv anytime since its just 1 unit so you're not forced into it.

Of course, if you don't plan to study consistently for MX1 then there's a good chance you'll flunk it. If you put your mind to it and grind maths, you'll find it will be your most enjoyable/easiest subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)