subject selection for y11 ?? (1 Viewer)

confvsed

HSC
Hey everyone!

I'm currently in year 10 at the moment and have started thinking about which subjects I want to do for year 11 and 12. My current electives are accel. food tech and pass
-
Stuff I like??:
3U maths
3U english
legal
business
eco
pdhpe
?? idk
society and culture
****i wrote a lot by accident so i cut a lot out to make it shorter and easier to digest, sorry if it doesnt make sense and ty for your time!!!!***
-hate science, doing REALLY bad (50%-60%) although in the physics exam (only for term one) I got above average (really good or someone who's been getting C's since yr8). (side note// I do go to a selective school ranked top 10 in the state though so everyone does do quite well.)
-physics, 50/50 chance i get a good teacher, the 'bad' teacher (he's not really), ive had him previously and he speaks super advanced and makes you feel like shit if you dont understand so i just resorted to not listneing
-Maths I'm working on, I am in the third class (of 4), however I do not attend tutoring yet, and many of the students at my school have been intensively tutored since year 7, I've always been above average though. Been getting A's though and don't find tests hard (but my school is super slow for maths and super behind all th other schools)
-English: we're not streamed, I get A's and B's for exams. Am working on it (and i really do mean it!!!!!).
-pdhpe/pass. recently demolished (more like got demolished by) by pdhpe half yearly (60%) although the average wasn't much higher but still :C did really well for pass though
-is yr11/12 pdhpe more similar to pe or pass?
-regret not doing accel. geo as an elective but not really sure if i would want to do it for hsc anyways tbh. did do very well for half yearly though
-legal sounds interesting > kinda wanna be do finance law?? idk it sounds rly good
-apparently eco scales well ?? but better for science-y people?? which im not .. :C
-business studies > apparently super common sense but hard??
-eco, business studies, legal... is that a bad combo?? what if i end up hating hsie ?? i did to commerve in yr 9 but it was so common sense (eg. what is a debit card etcetc) so i really couldnt apply myself to it but if i were to do any subject in. the hsc i would def devote myself to it
-not by any means a 'good' student, although i do work better when i am interested by the subject and topics
-yes, i want to do subjects im interested in, but scaling is a +++, and workload etc
-time management isnt the best but am trying!!

thankYOU !!!!

Kolmias

HSC
Hey everyone!

I'm currently in year 10 at the moment and have started thinking about which subjects I want to do for year 11 and 12. My current electives are accel. food tech and pass
-
Stuff I like??:
3U maths
3U english
legal
business
eco
pdhpe
?? idk
society and culture
****i wrote a lot by accident so i cut a lot out to make it shorter and easier to digest, sorry if it doesnt make sense and ty for your time!!!!***
-hate science, doing REALLY bad (50%-60%) although in the physics exam (only for term one) I got above average (really good or someone who's been getting C's since yr8). (side note// I do go to a selective school ranked top 10 in the state though so everyone does do quite well.)
-physics, 50/50 chance i get a good teacher, the 'bad' teacher (he's not really), ive had him previously and he speaks super advanced and makes you feel like shit if you dont understand so i just resorted to not listneing
You don't sound very keen with science. Do you want to do any courses with science preqreqs? Even if you do change your mind by the time school finishes, you can do a bridging course for the sciences.
-Maths I'm working on, I am in the third class (of 4), however I do not attend tutoring yet, and many of the students at my school have been intensively tutored since year 7, I've always been above average though. Been getting A's though and don't find tests hard (but my school is super slow for maths and super behind all th other schools)
This sounds promising here. Just work hard at it consistently and you should be good.
-English: we're not streamed, I get A's and B's for exams. Am working on it (and i really do mean it!!!!!).
English can be improved. If you don't have natural talent for English and don't like the subject, work hard and hone your skills. Submit drafts to your teachers so they can check over it.
-pdhpe/pass. recently demolished (more like got demolished by) by pdhpe half yearly (60%) although the average wasn't much higher but still :C did really well for pass though
-is yr11/12 pdhpe more similar to pe or pass?
PE is what's I've heard.
-regret not doing accel. geo as an elective but not really sure if i would want to do it for hsc anyways tbh. did do very well for half yearly though
-legal sounds interesting > kinda wanna be do finance law?? idk it sounds rly good
Legal's good, bit dry but can be interesting. Handy subject for anyone tbh.
-apparently eco scales well ?? but better for science-y people?? which im not .. :C
Neither am I and I love economics and am doing well in it. Prelim and HSC economics is a lot of essay writing, interpreting graphs and applying simple formulas. Easy for you if you work hard.
-business studies > apparently super common sense but hard??
-eco, business studies, legal... is that a bad combo?? what if i end up hating hsie ?? i did to commerve in yr 9 but it was so common sense (eg. what is a debit card etcetc) so i really couldnt apply myself to it but if i were to do any subject in. the hsc i would def devote myself to it
I liked commerce as well and was good at it. From what I've read, you seem to be really interested in the businessy humanties so I'd recommend you do those.

any means a 'good' student, although i do work better when i am interested by the subject and topics
Good students are made not born. You can be a good student if you put the work in and get the job done.
-yes, i want to do subjects im interested in, but scaling is a +++, and workload etc
For most subjects, scaling is about the same. Forget about it. Picking subjects based on scaling is a terrible idea.
-time management isnt the best but am trying!!
[/QUOTE]
Same, we both should probably work on that ha ah.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
is yr11/12 pdhpe more similar to pe or pass?

legal sounds interesting > kinda wanna be do finance law?? idk it sounds rly good
I did PDHPE, it is pure PDH. There are a few modules you'll do that focus on physical health, but no practicals. (We had 1-2 prac lessons per term but that was because we begged and our teacher was cool, it's not compulsory.) Read over the syllabus and see whether the core modules appeal to you.

HSC legal doesn't really have anything to do with finance. Again, have a look through the syllabus and see what you think of those modules.

si2136

HSC
N/A
3 social sciences are quite a bit, make sure you can cope with it. There is a lot of work involved. Economics and Business Studies is a fine combination, but you need to make sure you achieve in the top ranks for Business if you want a higher ATAR, since it scales relatively less compared to Maths, Eng and Eco. Those subjects are fine. In yr 11, I did 3U maths, 3U eng, eco, bus and phys.

blackbird_14

HSC
You don't sound very keen with science. Do you want to do any courses with science preqreqs? Even if you do change your mind by the time school finishes, you can do a bridging course for the sciences.
I think it's always a good idea to have a course or area in mind for uni, so if one of those requires a science prerequisite be aware of it. theres nothing wrong doing the 3 social sciences, they all interrelate to each other, so you'll find that a case study in business could be used as a side note in Eco (I didn't do these three, but my geo teacher kept saying this).

And yeah, English, or anything in that matter, can be improved. It just depends how much effort (with or without the help of tutoring) you spend on the subject.

sourmilk

HSC
legal and pdhpe are intense workload, i recommend you looking through some dot points and summary notes to see if you could handle those two together. I had friends doing both and they died

also legal won't help you in finance law, legal studies prelim is about i think iirc indigenous dreamtime traditions of law, and year 12 legal studies was on crime/criminal law. Unless your elective your school chooses is consumer law then I can see how that's somewhat helpful. Also prelim syllabus for legal was shit so don't feel too bad if it wasn't your cup of tea, cause crime was amazing in HSC

business studies is easy honestly, it's not a stressful subject and it's 100% rote

and girl don't do subject just because of scaling, don't let scaling be a defining factor because honestly in the end it doesn't mean shit unless you do well in it, so do subjects you're confident in.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
PDHPE has alot of content but it is really straightforward and 90% based on logic. It is really easy to do good if you have the syllabus back to front and even though people might say it scales bad, if you do well (93+ hsc mark) the scaling is quite rewarding with probably not as much effort as maths and science subjects.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
It doesn't seem like it's your priority anyway, but about the physics thing, I have to say, a good teacher for year 7-10 could turn out to be a bad senior school teacher and vice versa, so I wouldn't say to completely disregard it as an option. That being said, if you get a teacher who explains everything really fast and 'advanced', you're going to have to do a lot of self study and work at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)