Subject Selection - Geography vs Legal Studies (1 Viewer)

mb98

HSC
Hi Everyone

I am in Year 10 this year, and we are going to be getting our subject lines for Yr 11 in the next few days. I was thinking of picking
  • Ext 1 English
  • Ext 1 Maths
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Legal or Geography.

How do you think this combination will go? Is there too much work, what are the subjects like from your point of view?

My main issue is the last 2 units, I am thinking Legal or Geography. I hadn't really paid much attention to Geography, as it often doesn't run, but I heard it is almost certainly going to for our year. I've always done well in Geography and Commerce, but do the Yr 9 and 10 courses reflect the HSC courses? I find both topics interesting. My school does very well in Geography (when it runs), with a band 6 average, but I think I do better at the legal component of Commerce, than I do Yr 10 Geography. I don't really know what to pick, so I was wondering what are these subjects like, from a student point of view, especially regarding work load, topics and assignments?

Thanks for your help
Michael

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Why not do both? Once you enter the first few weeks of yr 11, you know what to drop.

astroman

HSC
if your good at coloring in choose geography...but seriously legal has much greater content.

nivans

HSC
I'd say choose depending on the teacher you're going to get, if it doesn't really matter to you which you pick. A good support system is very important. Geo doesn't run at my school, but I do legal and would recommend against it unless you love essays.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
For these two subjects I think it really depends on your interest in the subject.

If things went my way I would have been close to a state rank in geography.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Geography has a senior research project to consider.

Maybe look at the courses? HSC Geography is more interesting then junior year Geography...

photastic

HSC
Through the observations of my friends:
In terms of content wise, Legal > Geography
In terms of difficulty, Geography > Legal although difficulty is hard to distinguish

mb98

HSC
Hi Everyone
Thanks for your comments, I got my lines today, and both are running, at the same time. So I could change later.
Why not do both? Once you enter the first few weeks of yr 11, you know what to drop.
Unfortunately my school only allows you to pick 12 units, and I would really like to do my other subjects as well, otherwise I would have tried both
I'd say choose depending on the teacher you're going to get, if it doesn't really matter to you which you pick. A good support system is very important. Geo doesn't run at my school, but I do legal and would recommend against it unless you love essays.
This is the main issue, I think. I don’t really know which teacher would take Geography, as it does so rarely run, so I will have to speak to my teachers tomorrow. Other than this reason, I don’t really know any other way to decide between the two. I don’t mind essays, but how much essay work do you do in Legal?
If anyone has any other views/comments please post, and thanks again for all your help
Michael

enoilgam

HSC
If you like your subjects and think you will do well in them, then you have made good choices. From the sounds of things, you like Geography so I'd go with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)