subject selection help again :') (1 Viewer)

rubz07

HSC
subject selection is stressing me out, im suppose to choose my subjects today at 4pm so pls help!!!!!!

I'm def doing:
- adv eng
- adv math
- bio
-business studies

but now Idk if i wanna do chem as I want to get into med but I keep hearing that chem is very hard and I'm not good with stress and stuff ;')
should i just replace chem with legal studies, just in case i want early entry to something related to law?

I also need one more subject I'm thinking to do either a language (Spanish) or pdhpe. I've heard that pdhpe is content-heavy and so I'm not sure and for language, people keep saying it's hard learning a new language.

please please help :'0

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
try out chem first! At first I thought chem was difficult but after doing some content on y11 chem and reading snippets from a year 11 chem textbook, i grew to love it! Also, from my understanding, chem does provide a lot of flexibility with future career options

I was originally planning to do legal but iirc i heard that you dont need to have studied legal to gain early entry or entrance in law.

Did you enjoy pdhpe from 7-10?
What makes you want to learn spanish?
What subjects do you enjoy most now?

libestraumno3

HSC
what exactly do you want to get into? med or law

if you're set straight on med, do chem as i heard it is a pre-req for MOST med courses in uni. then again, there are always bridging courses and alternate pathways

to study law in uni, you don't need to do legal studies nor does it benefit you in the LAT. while it may be nice to have small background knowledge it isn't essential + assuming it will be legal, bio, business the workload would be heavy with all the writing

for languages dont stress too much bc it will be beginner level, it can be a break subject and you could always drop

have you considered taking any other ext subjects? if ur aiming for prospective careers like med/law, i'd say consider trying it out even for y11.

rubz07

HSC
what exactly do you want to get into? med or law

if you're set straight on med, do chem as i heard it is a pre-req for MOST med courses in uni. then again, there are always bridging courses and alternate pathways

to study law in uni, you don't need to do legal studies nor does it benefit you in the LAT. while it may be nice to have small background knowledge it isn't essential + assuming it will be legal, bio, business the workload would be heavy with all the writing

for languages dont stress too much bc it will be beginner level, it can be a break subject and you could always drop

have you considered taking any other ext subjects? if ur aiming for prospective careers like med/law, i'd say consider trying it out even for y11.
thank you for the help -

idk yet if I'm straight on med, i have had a large interest in med for a while now but currently, I'm rethinking my choices. i agree there are bridging courses and stuff so do i really need chem? to be honest i don't think i will be able to get in to med straight after highschool with a 99 atar. I also have trouble handling stress, so is chem the right choice. I did commerce this year and learnt a little about law, i ended up getting an A in that area and i actually kind of enjoyed law stuff. I'm also considering early entry, and stuff.

i don't think i'd be able to handle extension subjects tbh.

so do u think i should pick a language instead of pdhpe?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I am aware, Chemistry is not a prerequisite for the Doctor of Medicine (meaning that it is not imperative to take it), although it is recommended for students who wish to study medicine to take this subject, alongside Biology.

Ksalu is definitely correct in saying that taking Legal Studies is not required to receive a standard offer to study a Bachelor of Laws and it is not treated as assumed knowledge/a prerequisite either. However, taking Legal Studies may assist you in receiving an early offer to a Bachelor of Laws in the case of early entry programs that consider subject performance (both in year 11 and year 12). Consider WSU's HSC True Reward Early Offer Program and UTS's Early Entry Program.

PDHPE can be considered to be somewhat related to medicine content-wise. For example, the HSC Option 3: Sports Medicine is concerned with the specific issues of prevention, assessment, management of and recovery from sports injury.

Contrary to what you might hear, learning a new language (especially one like Spanish) is not difficult. However, what is true is that favourable performance in a subject like Spanish Beginners requires commitment and sustained effort, similar to any of your other chosen subjects, which is an aspect that a student who is interested in medicine (or law) such as yourself should be able to demonstrate, given the difficulty of gaining entry into a Doctor of Medicine program. On that same note, have you considered taking French Beginners instead of Spanish Beginners? Not only is there a multitude of resources available for French Beginners (including the Notes & Resources section), but my younger sister is taking it next year at SMSHS (she selected her subjects yesterday), so you guys could become friends?

I hope this helps! 😄

rubz07

HSC
try out chem first! At first I thought chem was difficult but after doing some content on y11 chem and reading snippets from a year 11 chem textbook, i grew to love it! Also, from my understanding, chem does provide a lot of flexibility with future career options

I was originally planning to do legal but iirc i heard that you dont need to have studied legal to gain early entry or entrance in law.

Did you enjoy pdhpe from 7-10?
What makes you want to learn spanish?
What subjects do you enjoy most now?
thank you for ur reply!!

okie, I've heard mixed opinions on chem, i my self don't really have any knowledge about chem tbh. and during exams and assessment times i really start to panic but than again I've heard legal studies is also hard : /

i kind of want to learn Spanish because firstly I've heard that it is an easy language to learn, and i just want a subject in which i will have some fun and will have something to look forward too. for pdhpe, through 7-10 I've found that i find it easy to understand the content, but I've heard u need to memorise a lot of information and is very content heavy

libestraumno3

HSC
Not only is there a multitude of resources available for French Beginners (including the Notes & Resources section), but my younger sister is taking it next year at SMSHS (she selected her subjects yesterday), so you guys could become friends?
^evidence of jimmy being an insanely helpful and adorable human

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
but now Idk if i wanna do chem as I want to get into med but I keep hearing that chem is very hard and I'm not good with stress and stuff ;')
should i just replace chem with legal studies, just in case i want early entry to something related to law?
All good, nothing is worse than English

The only subject where you can write something that is correct and lose marks

Just a side note - med would be a lot harder than doing chem in high school so try not to be scared of high school subjects if you plan to take medicine

Edit: This is gonna sound weird but don't be swayed by people saying a subject is TOO HARD, mainly because ALL content in high school is understandable. I'm saying this out of experience because in high school I understood all the content in depth for bio phys 4u maths etc, but then in uni exams half the time I'm like "wtf is going on.. stuff it just gonna memorise it". Just study well and you'll do fine.

Personal opinion - pick chem (reasons: you're probably smart as you are aiming for medicine + it has high scaling/alignment)

libestraumno3

HSC
thank you for ur reply!!

okie, I've heard mixed opinions on chem, i my self don't really have any knowledge about chem tbh. and during exams and assessment times i really start to panic but than again I've heard legal studies is also hard : /

i kind of want to learn Spanish because firstly I've heard that it is an easy language to learn, and i just want a subject in which i will have some fun and will have something to look forward too. for pdhpe, through 7-10 I've found that i find it easy to understand the content, but I've heard u need to memorise a lot of information and is very content heavy
from ur response, i believe you are now taking;
2u eng
2u maths
bio
business
and spanish beg??

i think the last subject comes down to which one you find more intersting.
did you have a look at the modules and syllabus' of chem and legal for both year 11/12?

dont forget to look at both, bc you wouldnt want to keep a subject in for y12 and find that you dont like the y12 syllabus.

if they're both hard, just choose the one with more content that you are willing to study. this motivation and enjoyment can definitely help and improve your grades

rubz07

HSC
As far as I am aware, Chemistry is not a prerequisite for the Doctor of Medicine (meaning that it is not imperative to take it), although it is recommended for students who wish to study medicine to take this subject, alongside Biology.

Ksalu is definitely correct in saying that taking Legal Studies is not required to receive a standard offer to study a Bachelor of Laws and it is not treated as assumed knowledge/a prerequisite either. However, taking Legal Studies may assist you in receiving an early offer to a Bachelor of Laws in the case of early entry programs that consider subject performance (both in year 11 and year 12). Consider WSU's HSC True Reward Early Offer Program and UTS's Early Entry Program.

PDHPE can be considered to be somewhat related to medicine content-wise. For example, the HSC Option 3: Sports Medicine is concerned with the specific issues of prevention, assessment, management of and recovery from sports injury.

Contrary to what you might hear, learning a new language (especially one like Spanish) is not difficult. However, what is true is that favourable performance in a subject like Spanish Beginners requires commitment and sustained effort, similar to any of your other chosen subjects, which is an aspect that a student who is interested in medicine (or law) such as yourself should be able to demonstrate, given the difficulty of gaining entry into a Doctor of Medicine program. On that same note, have you considered taking French Beginners instead of Spanish Beginners? Not only is there a multitude of resources available for French Beginners (including the Notes & Resources section), but my younger sister is taking it next year at SMSHS (she selected her subjects yesterday), so you guys could become friends?

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you for ur reply!!

yes i was thinking the same, legal studies would open up my chance to apply for early entry into law, just in case. tbh, i'm not sure if i can get into med from atar, i don't think i can achieve a 99 atar and get into med. however i was looking at early entry stuff into science/health related and they didn't really need chem. as for law i could get early entry with legal studies. i also have a little knowledge about law as i did commerce in 9 and 10. on the other hand i know nothing about chem :')

pdhpe sound very content heavy :'( i was thinking to do french instead of Spanish but i heard that Spanish is easier to learn. is pdhpe easy or is picking a language better?

and sure I can be friend with ur sister, though I'm a very socially awkward person :')

Last edited:

libestraumno3

HSC
thank you for ur reply!!

i don't think i can achieve a 99 atar and get into med. however i was looking at early entry stuff into science/health related and they didn't really need chem.
have you thought of doing a related 'science' undergrad course and doing grad med after instead? this is also a valid pathway into med

rubz07

HSC
All good, nothing is worse than English

The only subject where you can write something that is correct and lose marks

Just a side note - med would be a lot harder than doing chem in high school so try not to be scared of high school subjects if you plan to take medicine

Edit: This is gonna sound weird but don't be swayed by people saying a subject is TOO HARD, mainly because ALL content in high school is understandable. I'm saying this out of experience because in high school I understood all the content in depth for bio phys 4u maths etc, but then in uni exams half the time I'm like "wtf is going on.. stuff it just gonna memorise it". Just study well and you'll do fine.

Personal opinion - pick chem (reasons: you're probably smart as you are aiming for medicine + it has high scaling/alignment)
thank you for ur reply!!

ahh I'm not smart i just aim tooo high :')

i honestly thing i wont be able to achieve a 99 atar, but I mean i could do bridging course in to health. i'm thinking to look into early entry into maybe something related with science/health or law.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
thank you for ur reply!!

yes i was thinking the same, legal studies would open up my chance to apply for early entry into law, just in case. tbh, i'm not sure if i can get into med from atar, i don't think i can achieve a 99 atar and get into med. however i was looking at early entry stuff into science/health related and they didn't really need chem. as for law i could get early entry with legal studies. i also have a little knowledge about law as i did commerce in 9 and 10. on the other hand i know nothing about chem :')

pdhpe sound very content heavy :'( i was thinking to do french instead of Spanish but i heard that Spanish is easier to learn. is pdhpe easy or is picking a language better?
I just wanna give advice that you don't really need to consider difficulty of a subject THAT much. The reason for this is because if a subject is very hard, the alignment/scaling will make up for it. E.g. I got 92+ raw in bio (estimated) while in physics I think I got 88ish raw yet the final marks were around the same due to physics being a harder subject.

It'll be the same as pdhpe vs chem, with pdhpe you'll have to get a lot higher mark to get the same aligned mark as a lower mark in chem.

Just pick whatever is the most fun + you believe your skills will let you do well.

libestraumno3

HSC
yea just like pikachu975 said, nothing is 'too hard' until you actually have a go yourself, and you might do better than you orginally had expected.

just think more about the subjects you are interested in/excited about and the pre req for your goal course. i believe if you really do have a concrete goal into ur desired career, the difficulty of subjects wont matter too much as you will be dedicated either way

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
im not too sure? you would need to research alternate degrees
Looking at Usyd, for the medicine and health/science courses, the only courses that have chem as assumed knowledge are exercise and sport science, exercise physiology, physiotherapy, pharmarcy and medical science. There are courses such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, oral health and nursing that dont have any science as assumed knowledge

Looking at UNSW, for the health courses, the courses that have chem as assumed knowledge are vision science, medical science, nutrition, exercise science, pharmacy. The courses that dont have any science as assumed knowledge are international public health and psychology.

You could always just do a bridging course in uni. dont feel pressured to do chem if you dont want to.

Hopefully this helps :)

carrotsss

HSC
On that same note, have you considered taking French Beginners instead of Spanish Beginners? Not only is there a multitude of resources available for French Beginners (including the Notes & Resources section), but my younger sister is taking it next year at SMSHS (she selected her subjects yesterday), so you guys could become friends?
omg this is too cute

rubz07

HSC

I hope this helps! 😄

thanks you!!

I ended up picking 7 subjects:

- math adv
- eng adv
- chem
- bio
-business studies
- legal
- pdhpe

I picked both legal and chem, however, I'm allowed to drop subjects till term 1 week 3, so I am planning to drop either one of them. I picked both because I didn't want to miss any content of either of them if I was changing my subjects next year and this way I also get to see which one I like and enjoy more next year.

From language and pdhpe, I ended up picking pdhpe because it was more related to my desired field and the spots in pdhpe fill up quite quickly however I can always change to language if I don't enjoy a subject.

ahh idk if I made the right choice but I feel so much more relived :')

let me know if my subjects mix is okay :0

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks you!!

I ended up picking 7 subjects:

- math adv
- eng adv
- chem
- bio
-business studies
- legal
- pdhpe

I picked both legal and chem, however, I'm allowed to drop subjects till term 1 week 3, so I am planning to drop either one of them. I picked both because I didn't want to miss any content of either of them if I was changing my subjects next year and this way I also get to see which one I like and enjoy more next year.

From language and pdhpe, I ended up picking pdhpe because it was more related to my desired field and the spots in pdhpe fill up quite quickly however I can always change to language if I don't enjoy a subject.

ahh idk if I made the right choice but I feel so much more relived :')

let me know if my subjects mix is okay :0
I am happy to see that you were able to make a more informed decision. 14 units will undoubtedly enable you to explore a wide range of subjects and contemplate the best subject combination to have later on. Best of luck!

rubz07

HSC
I am happy to see that you were able to make a more informed decision. 14 units will undoubtedly enable you to explore a wide range of subjects and contemplate the best subject combination to have later on. Best of luck!
thank you so much :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)