subject selection help, pls!! (1 Viewer)

rubz07

HSC
I've thought about my subject selection for so long, but I still have trouble finalizing the last two subjects that I will be picking. I really want to get into something related to health and medicine in the future. And the subjects I've chosen so far are: maths adv, eng adv, chem, bio. Can someone please suggest any other two subjects that I should consider picking, I'd prefer something fun and easier just because the subjects I've picked are already so hard :') Also, I don't really have any interest and I'm not good at anything and the school I'm going to is st marys.

Nezuko----

HSC
Agreed, PDHPE is a good subject, the content isn't hard to wrap your head around, kinda logical too.

mooni08

HSC
yo its mon; i do agree w choosing pdhpe but some have said its content heavy but most likely much lighter compared to ur other subjects. have u considered any VET subjects or smth like business studies?

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
Maybe choose something that you won’t pursue after uni and is fun? For example i selected VA and Modern because I find them both interesting and I know I won’t study it after Hsc. (Also don’t worry, I’m having trouble finalizing my final subjects as well!)

libestraumno3

HSC
have you considered doing any languages?

if you dont have much knowledge its fine, the beginners course is for those with maximum 1 year to no knowledge of the language. the 1 year being compulsory in year 7 (in most schools i think) - and looking back it really is just the basics that you could easily pick up

i would have loved to do chinese beginners but backed out since it was distance ed and would most likely have dropped it which wastes the external fees required.

a thing to note that it is very much rote learning, you need to have good time management, and it does offer an interesting mix to your selection. although you must be very independent and be passionate to succeed.

you could also try thinking about how likely you would learn it in higher education. for e.g if you wanted to learn french but you want to go into something else for uni then try french beginners out since it may be the last time you can formally learn it with actual teachers. you could always change it in the first few weeks or drop in year 12.

but assuming there are languages at your school that you would like to learn, it would be a good start!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I've thought about my subject selection for so long, but I still have trouble finalizing the last two subjects that I will be picking. I really want to get into something related to health and medicine in the future. And the subjects I've chosen so far are: maths adv, eng adv, chem, bio. Can someone please suggest any other two subjects that I should consider picking, I'd prefer something fun and easier just because the subjects I've picked are already so hard :') Also, I don't really have any interest and I'm not good at anything and the school I'm going to is st marys.
If u can, just give ext 1 a shot, if u dont like it u can just drop it (assuming ur school allows u to drop freely). Imo there's no real "new" content than what ud learn in adv except combinatorics in ur first year, u go in further detail with other topics in adv.

Maths is one of those subjects that you're guaranteed a good mark if you put in consistent effort. I was pre avg in yr 10 but after just revising the basics and being disciplined in my study, it became my best subject and I felt it just forced me into a good routine for all my other subjects.

Once again experiences are different for everyone so I cant say you'll enjoy it but many of my friends gave it a shot and when they felt that it was too much they just dropped it and moved on, so yeah it doesnt hurt.

Got my HSC in a couple of days, these years will be prolly the best years in high school so enjoy it, it'll feel like its long but before you know it you got 3 days to Paper 1. All the best!

d1zzyohs

HSC
If u can, just give ext 1 a shot, if u dont like it u can just drop it (assuming ur school allows u to drop freely). Imo there's no real "new" content than what ud learn in adv except combinatorics in ur first year, u go in further detail with other topics in adv.

Maths is one of those subjects that you're guaranteed a good mark if you put in consistent effort. I was pre avg in yr 10 but after just revising the basics and being disciplined in my study, it became my best subject and I felt it just forced me into a good routine for all my other subjects.

Once again experiences are different for everyone so I cant say you'll enjoy it but many of my friends gave it a shot and when they felt that it was too much they just dropped it and moved on, so yeah it doesnt hurt.

Got my HSC in a couple of days, these years will be prolly the best years in high school so enjoy it, it'll feel like its long but before you know it you got 3 days to Paper 1. All the best!
Ditto with what EBU said. But further to this - if you aren't the strongest at English (which lots, and lots of students aren't), treat English like it's Maths. The only difference between English and Maths, is that English is an absolute pain to study for and essays feel like the biggest waste of time. But trust me, after putting in all the work, the trial mark that I got reflected my efforts much like how it did for maths last year in the HSC.

rubz07

HSC
yo its mon; i do agree w choosing pdhpe but some have said its content heavy but most likely much lighter compared to ur other subjects. have u considered any VET subjects or smth like business studies?
I think I'm going to do business studies now, initially i was also going to pick pdhpe but i heard that its very content heavy and with the subjects, I've already picked i think i need like a subject that would allow me to concentrate on the eng, math, chem and bio :')

rubz07

HSC
Maybe choose something that you won’t pursue after uni and is fun? For example i selected VA and Modern because I find them both interesting and I know I won’t study it after Hsc. (Also don’t worry, I’m having trouble finalizing my final subjects as well!)
yuppp, everyone keeps saying pick something interesting and fun but idek know myself, idk what i'd find fun and interesting :')

rubz07

HSC
what about pdhpe? For something fun and easier maybe you could consider business studies
yup i think I'm going to do business studies now, but for pdhpe, i was originally going to pick it but i heard that its very content heavy and with the subjects i already have i think i wanna pick something more simple and easy going, but than again I also wanna keep my options open for future career paths just in case.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
yup i think I'm going to do business studies now, but for pdhpe, i was originally going to pick it but i heard that its very content heavy and with the subjects i already have i think i wanna pick something more simple and easy going, but than again I also wanna keep my options open for future career paths just in case.
I don't think subjects are that important for future career path, maybe except medicine and a few others which have prerequisite subjects at certain unis.

Just pick whatever has the best balance between scaling/alignment and what you feel you'd get the best marks in.

sab13562

HSC
Business is an excellent choice, doesn't need an insane amount of effort to do well in, it was my least effort subject and I ended up getting the highest in it for my HSC lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)