• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selection: How'd You Go? (1 Viewer)

CHiPZ

HSC
Ok Hi, this is my first post.
Well ok, I want to be a Dentist, but incase not, An engineer of some kind (probably civil).
Ok so ive narrowed it down, assumed subjects need to be: 3UMaths, Physics.
Recco' Subjects: The sciences.

Prelim 2010
3U Maths
2U English Adv
2U Physics
2U Chemistry
2U Biology
1U Photography

HSC 2011
4U Maths
2U English Adv
2UPhysics
2U Chemistry

Just wanted to know of anybody's experiences with any of the subjects up there, and what you chose/ or are choosing now?
And if you've done them, what kinda results did you achieve.

UAI For Engineer: 85+
UAI For Dentist: Idk, i searched on all the uni's that offer dentistry but none of them gave a UAI, but it IS need tho (duh), so if anyone has an idea please tell :)

Thanks.

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I too would like to be hired in the health fields of some kind, and these are what i have chosen (for yr11):

3 Maths
2 Chemistry
2 Physics
2 Adv. English
2 Engineering Studies
2 Business Studies

I dont suggest dropping down to 10 units in year 12, go for at least one more subject, ONE mistake could make a difference for 10 units, although my sister did exactly the same in year 12, she got a 98.3 :S

If your school offers Engineering Studies, go for it! it seems fun.

Good luck on your endeavours,
Pete

CHiPZ

HSC
I Don't Really Like The Engineering Teachers And Im Not Too Interested In That TBH. :)

Idno about the 10 units, I like all of them alot. And english is compulsory at my school, so i just hope I pick that up well :/

Goodluck Mate. Your subjects seem interesting and suited to medicine or even financial affairs or engineering (altho if it was engineering there wud be a bio somewhere :p ... for biomedical lol)

CHiPZ

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I like your year 11 subjects, aside from bio. The rest of your subjects are fine, i'd just swap bio for modern :p
I suggest you pick a subject other than bio that you might actually keep in year 12... you never know what'll happen - you could greatly hate physics for example.

4U maths is fine if you are bothered doing the work and have the aptitiude for it :)

Dentistry is now postgraduate, so you have to do another course in UNI first and then you can apply to do dentisty XD

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
Hey guys, i like both your subjects =] its a shame my school does not offer more than 13units in which I could pick another 2 unit subject so i had to go for these:

3U maths
3U english
Physics
Chemistry
Economics

I am somewhat interested in medicine mostly followed by commerce or engineering so these are the subjects I have selected. I hopefully won't regret doing 3U english but i really do not like the one unit courses and would have done advanced english with either business studies or biology, but not to be =[

Good luck for year 11! :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Lol so many asian combos to get epic high ATAR here

CHiPZ

HSC
@Annabackwards:
Ok the year 12 one is an estimate really. Im quite keen on the 3 sciences, but maybe id like bio and pick it over physics for yr 12 or something like that :). GL for your hsc this year btw.
And Yeah It sucks its post grad, altho Charles Stuart Uni has it Bachelor its 5 years, but the combo of Oral health + Bdent is 7 years in Usyd :/

@JayNoob:
Ooh nice subjects, I was also thinking of doing 3U english to fill in the 1 unit gap created by maths... but im really bad at english so neh :p. my school has a MAXIMUM AND MINIMUM of 12 units for year 11, I really wouldn't have minded to stay back ya know... less little guys running around the school at that time :D ... but before school sounds like a pain. Economics sounds fun too. GoodLuck For year 11

@Slyhunter:
Whats the asian combo?
Altho i don't think I'll get an epic high atar... i really have no remotely-precise idea of what I can get... Lets see how the SC go's. Goodluck.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
asian combo: 3U maths, adv. english, physics, chemistry = high ATAR

oh, and the SC is a pathetic excuse by the government to roughly estimate where you stand in the state. dont worry about it, its not hard

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
@Annabackwards:
Ok the year 12 one is an estimate really. Im quite keen on the 3 sciences, but maybe id like bio and pick it over physics for yr 12 or something like that :). GL for your hsc this year btw.
And Yeah It sucks its post grad, altho Charles Stuart Uni has it Bachelor its 5 years, but the combo of Oral health + Bdent is 7 years in Usyd :/

@Slyhunter:
Whats the asian combo?
Altho i don't think I'll get an epic high atar... i really have no remotely-precise idea of what I can get... Lets see how the SC go's. Goodluck.
Ah, fair enough. I thought you just picked it because you had to fill 2 units XD Thanks for the luck :)

You've still got 2 years + to decide what degree you want to do and where, so don't worry too much ;)

And yeah, the SC is pretty useless.

CHiPZ

HSC
I see... Haha the only 'filler' i got is photography, everything else i enjoy apart from english, but its mandatory (at my school atleast).

Is the SC any indication of HSC results? Because otherwise I don't really kno how to guess it :S

Oh and about the 4U Maths and my aptitude of doing it... Im an accelerant so the workload is reduced ... I guess i just need to push myself in everything else to get well above the others in my school.

Question: Hows Advanced English going for you?
And another question if I havent annoyed you enough, is ur UAI aim of 99+ achievable by ur intellect level? Ive always thought high... and well kinda achieved it... but with the big emphasis on the hsc being 'the test' im actually doubting whether i can do that this time...

Edit:
@slyhunter: well no ones gonna argue with a high atar :p. Are you doin those azn subjects?
And yer, no offence but really the whole system in australias pretty dumb, and im quite happy that were the last year that can dropout, so we dont have annoying people who don't really want to be in yr 11 and 12 making it harder. I just wish we could actually learn something in class tho... Don't you feel like u kno half of the stuff already?

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree... seeing all the Asian combination of subjects makes me cry :lol: .... (figuratively speaking).

For those who don't know... Asian combination:
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
4U Maths

....although I guess mine are quite close to that with the addition of Studies of Religion >_>

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I see... Haha the only 'filler' i got is photography, everything else i enjoy apart from english, but its mandatory (at my school atleast).

Is the SC any indication of HSC results? Because otherwise I don't really kno how to guess it :S

Oh and about the 4U Maths and my aptitude of doing it... Im an accelerant so the workload is reduced ... I guess i just need to push myself in everything else to get well above the others in my school.

And another question if I havent annoyed you enough, is ur UAI aim of 99+ achievable by ur intellect level? Ive always thought high... and well kinda achieved it... but with the big emphasis on the hsc being 'the test' im actually doubting whether i can do that this time...

Edit:
@slyhunter: well no ones gonna argue with a high atar :p. Are you doin those azn subjects?
And yer, no offence but really the whole system in australias pretty dumb, and im quite happy that were the last year that can dropout, so we dont have annoying people who don't really want to be in yr 11 and 12 making it harder. I just wish we could actually learn something in class tho... Don't you feel like u kno half of the stuff already?
SC is NOT any indication of HSC. it has no use and simply pathetic.

advanced english is very dry and restrictive in what you can learn (damn u syllabus) thats why i take extension english; way more fun, its actually english

the hsc is not like some epic god-like thing ok? about 60000 students do it each year so its not something out of the ordinary. DONT DOUBT YOURSELF. you can do it! and achieve epic ATAR (lolz)

and yes look in my sig. i take a slight modification of the azn subjects

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
Slyhunter you make me feel so much better when you say that about adv english xD and you have the same subjects as me!! I seriously hope I don't regret my selections.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

English is compulsory for everyone sitting the HSC XD

The SC is a bit of an indication of how you are going against the state in Yr 10. The problem is that most people don't care about the SC and the things they test you are extremely basic - plenty of people who don't study get band 5s and 6s. When you hit senior school, suddenly everyone cares and the amount and difficulty of content increases. Getting a band 5/6 in every subject simply shows that you have ability. It's whether or not you work hard and harness that ability in year 12 that matters.

I love advanced english right now, but i have an excellent teacher. Even if i didn't have her, I would not drop because the texts that std are doing are too plain for my liking and their modules seem to be harder than the adv ones for some odd reason. If you can string together an essay in year 10 and get 15/20+ then you should definitely attempt adv. You can drop adv to standard but not the other way around so at least try it!

I don't know about intellect level. You could be the smartest person in the world but if you don't but in the effort to learn the content and how to answer the questions then you won't get anywhere. I've based my aim on what i'd like to achieve and what UAI people in my school with similar ranks have gotten. It's also based on what i've been told i can achieve and what know i can achieve based on my performance in accelerated 2U maths... hopefully i get it XD

Good luck with accelerating maths - you'll learn plenty of cool knew things ^^

Don't doubt yourself - believe in yourself and go for it. You'll probably encounter some obstacles along the way but don't stall - learn from them, get stronger and keep on going :)

CHiPZ

HSC
@slyhunter:
woa cool man, you like scared the fear right outa me :) (asif that makes sense tho :p). Ok I wont doubt myself.. never have.. never will...
As for 3 unit... nah but great to see you take a liking to its texts.
Thanks for your contributions (Y)

@annabackwards:
One word: Thanks! Big big thanks.

@Aquawhite:
I'm the only one so far that I know of thats planning on doing the 'asian combo'. :|
Everyone in my school is either scared of physics, thinks chem aint worth it, or doesnt have the skills for 4 unit maths.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
@slyhunter:
@annabackwards:
One word: Thanks! Big big thanks.

@Aquawhite:
I'm the only one so far that I know of thats planning on doing the 'asian combo'. :|
Everyone in my school is either scared of physics, thinks chem aint worth it, or doesnt have the skills for 4 unit maths.
No worries :)

Hehe, have fun doing the "asian combo" :jedi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)