subject selection (1 Viewer)

lazera1

compfreak
HSC
Hello, I made it into b business b computing, I'm just wondering if I have to follw the course structure on the uts site
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10219.html

If I don't have to and can choose whatever core subjects I want in the 1st yr, then can I like choose 3 core subjects from the business faculty and 1 from the IT faculty in the 1st semester and 2nd semester and make it up in the 2nd yr.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't know if I really want to do IT so i can try it in the 1st yr and if i don't like it I can transfer to the business course in the 2nd yr. Doing less It subjs in the 1st will waste less time if i want to tansfer.

I only got a uai of 87 so I could'nt make it to the business coruse. And i found sdd ok at school so I chose this course as back up but I don't really want to do it as a career.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
lazera1 said:
Hello, I made it into b business b computing, I'm just wondering if I have to follw the course structure on the uts site
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10219.html

If I don't have to and can choose whatever core subjects I want in the 1st yr, then can I like choose 3 core subjects from the business faculty and 1 from the IT faculty in the 1st semester and 2nd semester and make it up in the 2nd yr.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't know if I really want to do IT so i can try it in the 1st yr and if i don't like it I can transfer to the business course in the 2nd yr. Doing less It subjs in the 1st will waste less time if i want to tansfer.

I only got a uai of 87 so I could'nt make it to the business coruse. And i found sdd ok at school so I chose this course as back up but I don't really want to do it as a career.
No you don't have to follow the course structure
your idea of doing more business subjects is good if your thinking of transferring out of IT.

roadcone

HSC
as joe said you don't have to follow the course structure - just be careful of meeting pre-req's.

i say this only because i have sort of minorly stuffed myself up because of subject availability.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
lazera1 said:

"You really dont want to do it as your career" or you want to "try it"??

If you don't want do IT in your career --> Apply for B Business @ Ku-Ring-Gai in the late rounds. After a year you have the option to transfer to the City campus if you want to.

If you want to try it --> I don't see why you should change the IT workload. Doing 4 IT subjects in the year (2 in each semester) will give you an idea if you want to do IT or not. Doing 1 in each semester won't give you the full picture of IT.

In reading what you've said I'm assuming that you don't want to do IT. If that is the case withdraw from your application of Bus/Comp so you can let others with lower UAIs (than yours) into the course that really want to do the combined degree.

lazera1

compfreak
HSC
Kuring gai is just too far away from my house so i nerver thought of that option, since i don't have to follow the course structure then i might just do 2 It and 2 business subjs in the 1st semester and do all bus courses in 2nd semester if i don't like it. The reason I want to do only 2 It subjs is because wasting a quarter of a yr is better than wasting half.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Edit: Searching back this forum someone said that you need to do 50% It subs and 50% bus subjs or they kick you out is this true??

looking at that other thread it seems ppl with of 75 uai is getting into this course and it still have Vacancies according to uac so I don't think I'm stopping anyone from getting in. :)

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
lazera1 said:
Kuring gai is just too far away from my house so i nerver thought of that option, since i don't have to follow the course structure then i might just do 2 It and 2 business subjs in the 1st semester and do all bus courses in 2nd semester if i don't like it. The reason I want to do only 2 It subjs is because wasting a quarter of a yr is better than wasting half.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Edit: Searching back this forum someone said that you need to do 50% It subs and 50% bus subjs or they kick you out is this true??

looking at that other thread it seems ppl with of 75 uai is getting into this course and it still have Vacancies according to uac so I don't think I'm stopping anyone from getting in. :)
You won't be wasting anytime if you load your IT subjects to your electives.

Here's a guy who didn't make it who genuinely wants to get into the course.

JTN said:
how are people getting in with such low UAI's, i didn't get in and i got 83.9, 0.1 off what they said was the cut off. I'm so confused, i really want to get in and now the only hope i have is in the late round but i really don't know anymore.

I got into engineering that they said the UAI was 85, it was my 2nd choice after BBusComp. ARRRRGGGGHHH
- http://community.boredofstudies.org/124/faculty/131765/b-business-b-computing/2.html

lazera1

compfreak
HSC
what will be the it be like?? would it be like sdd at high school??

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Well... information systems subjects are definately similar to IPT, and I'm assuming that software development subjects are similar to SDD (I didn't do SDD).

But you really don't need to do IT at all in high school to excel in university. Fundamental (1st year core) subjects assume you know nothing about the subject base. Previous knowledge is just an extra.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Huratio said:
But you really don't need to do IT at all in high school to excel in university. Fundamental (1st year core) subjects assume you know nothing about the subject base. Previous knowledge is just an extra.
I didn't do IPT or SDD in high school and I'd say I am doing rather well with the IT side of things. Though yes, having prior knowledge or quite a bit of technical expertise will help you greatly in some areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)