Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

HSC
If i decided to do s&c instead of chem because i hate chem, and if i did really well in s&c, would i still be able to get a high uai? whats wrong with s&c?

BTW thanx heaps for all the maths advice, ive decided to do 2 unit mathematics because i feel willing and prepared to kill that subject!!!:)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Nothing's wrong with S&C. Do it rather than Chemistry. You don't want to do a sybject for the next two years if you truly hate it.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
why disagree?
If she hates chem then why bother doing it? You cant choose a subject based on the scaling factor dude.
If she wants to do society and culture then let her, and her chance of getting a good UAI wont suddenly diminish.

Le3sah

HSC
jemsta said:
why disagree?
If she hates chem then why bother doing it? You cant choose a subject based on the scaling factor dude.
If she wants to do society and culture then let her, and her chance of getting a good UAI wont suddenly diminish.
Agree.

deathxawaits

HSC
I'm having problems choosing my subjects as well, and there's only 6 days left to choose. People have constantly stressed that I do subjects which I enjoy, so, I decided to pick the following:

English advanced
General maths
Economics
Geography

...And these are a few I'm unsure about:

Senior science
ancient history
legal studies
business
IPT

Any suggestions? It doesn't really bother me which of those I do...

And I have a feeling that economics won't got ahead due to it seeming unpopular at my school.

spoonbender

HSC
I'm doing Advanced maths at the moment and I guess you could say I'm struggling just a bit. My teacher told me to try for 3 unit, but I don't think I could cope after hearing about that person who did advanced maths in 9 and 10 but had to drop down to general (on the other page). How much harder than 2 unit and Year 10 is 3 unit?

Also, how much of ancient history is source work? I've been getting good marks for History but I think it's because they've been dumming it down and holding back a bit with the source-stuff.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
spoonbender said:
I'm doing Advanced maths at the moment and I guess you could say I'm struggling just a bit. My teacher told me to try for 3 unit, but I don't think I could cope after hearing about that person who did advanced maths in 9 and 10 but had to drop down to general (on the other page). How much harder than 2 unit and Year 10 is 3 unit?

Also, how much of ancient history is source work? I've been getting good marks for History but I think it's because they've been dumming it down and holding back a bit with the source-stuff.
Try 3U. If you find that you're struggling in it, drop it in the first few weeks. Remember, its all about you, not just some individual that your teacher has been talking about. Everyone's different in their way :)

I think the first topic of Ancient History is source and archeaological work. I've heard that its pretty boring, but then you get to the actual Ancient work afterwards. If you're getting good marks in History and you're enjoying it, do it :)

Good luck!

sabira001

HSC
I already have enough units for HSC but need a filler (preferably a social science) which I will drop at the end of prelim. Any thoughts on Studies of Religion vs Society and Culture (ie. difficulty, assessments)?

I am also considering PDHPE, but would it include practical lessons like 7-10 PE? I would like the theory but if there are prac lessons I'd rather not.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
sabira001 said:
I already have enough units for HSC but need a filler (preferably a social science) which I will drop at the end of prelim. Any thoughts on Studies of Religion vs Society and Culture (ie. difficulty, assessments)?

I am also considering PDHPE, but would it include practical lessons like 7-10 PE? I would like the theory but if there are prac lessons I'd rather not.
Studies of Religion 1 is easy. If you want a bludge subject where you know the work won't really tax you of your time, then go for SoR1. (Generalising, but it is rather easy.)

HSC
sabira001 said:

in senior school pretty much all p.e. is theory.

Le3sah

HSC
deathxawaits said:
...And these are a few I'm unsure about:

Senior science
ancient history
legal studies
business
IPT

Any suggestions? It doesn't really bother me which of those I do...

And I have a feeling that economics won't got ahead due to it seeming unpopular at my school.
I hear Ancient is pretty interesting :)

deliberately

HSC
hi guys, newbie here...

it's taken me a verrrryyy long time to choose these subjects (they've changed about twenty times since mid year 9) but i think i've finally decided what subject i'll take next year, provided they don't clash on the school timetabling lines - i don't want to think what i'll have to choose if they do....... anyway all i wanna know is can people who've taken any of these tell me what kinda stuff you learnt and if you found it enjoyable or not so much? just curious, is all.
so here's my subjects....

- adv eng [2u]
- ext eng [1u]
- photography [1u]
- visual arts [2u]
- modern [2u]
- ancient [2u]
- spanish beg. [2u]

it took me a week to choose between ancient and legal (seeing as i didn't want to do 14u)... but i like history so i went with it... and the last one's a bit bizarre but a couple of family members speak it fluently so i figure they'll be able to help if my teacher sucks, which is quite likely, so yeah...

any thoughts?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'm not completely certain, but I don't think you're eligible to study any "beginners" language if your immediate family is fluent in it. You might want to look into this though, since I could be wrong.

deliberately

HSC
well in that case it should be all good because i've never studied or spoken it - my mum can though, but it's not a native language...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)