• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

bobos2

HSC
I was wondering if i could get some advice on my subject selection.And get some comments on people who have already done or are doing the courses im interested in.

My school has a miniumum and maxiumum of 12 units; in yr 11.
Since Im definitely doing 3u maths, i have to do a 1u course. And the only ones my skool offers are studies of religion or ext 1 english. I dont know which one!! I mean, ok. At english, i JUST got an A for my english report by one mark. But Studies of Religion...I dont know..

Well. Apart from that, im doing physics, english adv, maths 3u for sure. that means 5 units left, and then take away 1 for studies of religion, or ext 1 eng....so i have 2 subs left....and heres the list im intersted in. i can onli pick 2 of them...

Society and Culture.
Community and Family Studies
Eco
Business Studies
Modern History
Biology
Ancient History

tasha19

HSC
do what u really like.
id do eco and modern if i were you.
modern coz the course is like AWESOME =)
eco coz its so damn useful
but if u wanna do something sciency then maybe bio

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Do:

- Economics: its pretty useful for the future. but beware: It looked in a textbok. Its really boring!!!!
- Biology: its gotta be easy and its science plus you seem pretty good at it

Your school only offers SOR and English ext 1 as one unit course? Man, our schools are so alike! and also max 12 units. Alike again :)

jellybelly59

HSC
well i can vouch that modern history is good... you won't come across any of that Australian history that is just grueling and tedious to remember. "Economics: its pretty useful for the future." what do you mean by that?... as it's a common prerequisite for uni courses or that's the course is just applicable to everyday situations? What i heard about economics is that if you don't have a really good grasp on concepts it's really really hard to do well.... :( well whatever pick what u like :D just wanted to add my 2 sense in

miredale

HSC
Dude, talk to your teachers.. Don't get random strangers to influence how you spend the next 2 years!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
miredale said:
Dude, talk to your teachers.. Don't get random strangers to influence how you spend the next 2 years!
Random strangers? Firstly, he needs all the possible advice he can receive in order to pick his subjects effectively. Talking to his teachers is also a good idea, but by receiving advice as well from us who've witnessed subject selections can give him a broader understanding of what to choose.

Ok. So you just squeezed into getting an A for English by 1 mark and your not sure of choosing SOR I or not. I think Lyounamu could provide you with a better understanding of SOR I as I have not elected it as a subject, but in my opinion, if you choose Extension English, it scales really well in comparison to SOR I. You did receive an A grade, so why not give it a shot? Ask yourself also 'Am I enjoying English?' and since it scales well, if you achieve high ranks in the subject, you will easily hedge for a high UAI.

Good luck.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Do Business Studies and SORI - I do, and it's dead easy, I haven't really had to work hard in those subjects.

miredale said:
Teachers don't always know what's best in regards to subject selection. I got told by my teachers to do English Extension and Studies of Religion I.. and guess what? I dropped them. So I think it's better to ask around, especially because these people are currently or just have finished the course and would know experience first hand.

jazzbaby

HSC
just do what you are interested in
if you think you will like business then do it.
i do business and i was reluctant to choose it at first but i am top 10 in it and i love it :D
cafs is extremely boring, but thats just me. im soo dropping it.

anwyay good luck
just choose what you are interested in coz in the end its you that has to deal with it.

x

bubblesss

HSC
hey i'd say u could do eco and bio. for ur 1 unit subject u could do ext eng if u can manage iit or sor and u could probably drop it at the end of year 11.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
If you enjoy/are good at english then Id give Ext English a go for your one unit, as it tends to help in other essay writing subjects (if your taking them).

I guess you should look at those subjects and see which ones appeals most. Are you into the histories? or do you want another science?

If it was me, I would pick probably ancient and Business or Eco!

the.RAVER

HSC
bobos2 said:
I was wondering if i could get some advice on my subject selection.And get some comments on people who have already done or are doing the courses im interested in.

My school has a miniumum and maxiumum of 12 units; in yr 11.
Since Im definitely doing 3u maths, i have to do a 1u course. And the only ones my skool offers are studies of religion or ext 1 english. I dont know which one!! I mean, ok. At english, i JUST got an A for my english report by one mark. But Studies of Religion...I dont know..

Well. Apart from that, im doing physics, english adv, maths 3u for sure. that means 5 units left, and then take away 1 for studies of religion, or ext 1 eng....so i have 2 subs left....and heres the list im intersted in. i can onli pick 2 of them...

Society and Culture.
Community and Family Studies
Eco
Business Studies
Modern History
Biology
Ancient History
Ok, well if you're good at English do that. It's really all about if your going to set your mind to it.

Although if you're going to choose Ancient History do SOR 1. Because at my school SOR 1 is compulsory and its pretty much Ancient History. It'd help a lot too.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
the.RAVER said:
Although if you're going to choose Ancient History do SOR 1. Because at my school SOR 1 is compulsory and its pretty much Ancient History. It'd help a lot too.
You think? i mean yeah that is true in some areas in year 11 and and in year 12 depending on what you choose to study, but i dont think it would be that helpful. I dont take SOR 1 so i could be wrong, whenever we use the bible as a source in class its only in passing.

bobos2

HSC
thankyou for ur replies. and i agree, advice from u guys is useful, coz uve done the courses firsthand urselves. =] thanku agen!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)