subject selection (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyNoose

HSC
meh...i dont really have any capabilities...im the kind of person who does moderately well in everything, and doesnt have a forte or whatever. i hate it. i dont wanna do both histories but i hate eco and geo...but i like ancient. arghhhhhhhhh

:kaz.n:

HSC
my subjects are-

English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Biology
Physics
Society and Culture
Electronics (category B course)

the problem here is i was happy with my subjects witout electronics...was gonna drop one unit off either ext math or ext english but now i HAVE to do 14 units becoz 2 of the units i am doing (the extenison units) are outside of the timetable and yr 11 arent allowed to have free periods

so i have to fill it up by doin electronics...category B (i dunno what it means)

i dunno what to do..im feelin sad :(...can sum1 explain what a category B course is...plus i dont even like maths and im doin extension...im afraid ive made a bad subject selection for HSC...

:(

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by :kaz.n:
...im afraid ive made a bad subject selection for HSC...:(
Well....you can always change within the first five weeks - I'm not sure if it applies to everyone but thats what happens at our school :)

HSC
here are my subjects (some i'm not sure i'll ever get it because of SC assessment marks or clashes in timetable)
english advanced
maths advanced
chemistry
information processes & tech (regret this choice)
legal studies
2u studies of re

KarmaKitten

HSC
my subjects are-

English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Biology
Physics
Society and Culture
Electronics (category B course)

the problem here is i was happy with my subjects witout electronics...was gonna drop one unit off either ext math or ext english but now i HAVE to do 14 units becoz 2 of the units i am doing (the extenison units) are outside of the timetable and yr 11 arent allowed to have free periods

so i have to fill it up by doin electronics...category B (i dunno what it means)

i dunno what to do..im feelin sad :(...can sum1 explain what a category B course is...plus i dont even like maths and im doin extension...im afraid ive made a bad subject selection for HSC...

:(
You can always drop something. dont worry its not a contract. you can drop because you only need 12units in year 11. So its not that bad.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Business Studies

Zahid

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
my subjects for yr. 11:

economics
3u maths
adv. english
chem
physics
software design

i dropped economics and picked up 4u maths for yr. 12. :)
mwad! hey mateyyyyyyyyyy i picked the exact same except, yeah i guess i didn't. But instead of econimics i have picked ext eng..I was thinking of trying ext2 maths, but there is too low standards at my school.
would love to hear from you...and i think maybe since you have picked the "same " topics it'd be a good idea to talk about it, so msg me and i'll add u to msn!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
thanx every1...and what does category B mean?
Catergory B courses are VET courses, which means vocational education and training. If you wanna get a UAI you can only do one category B course. They also scale pretty badly because they are considered easy subjects.

:kaz.n:

HSC
ohhh sh*t...how badly is bad? :S...coz im doin society and culture and that scales badly too...oh and i mite drop ext math and ext english so i have no ext units...damn it need to get a high uai tho...

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Alright.
I'm desperate.
Help.

I've read too much about the slide of Physics and Chemistry to want to do both in the HSC... I'd like to change subject selection for Year 11 even but I really lack choices.

I've kept in mind the subjects I want to do in Yr 12 but due to an irritating rule that states you have to do four or more courses in the HSC, if I want to do History Extension I'll have to do 13 units...

Is that just plain stupid?

For a flash I was thinking of doing Jap. Continuers but then I only did it in Yr8... has anyone done the course in Yr 11 without doing the Jap elective in Yrs9/10 and managed to do well?

I'm out of ideas completely!

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by PaleReflection
Catergory B courses are VET courses, which means vocational education and training. If you wanna get a UAI you can only do one category B course. They also scale pretty badly because they are considered easy subjects.
Yeah. My sister did IT VET and even though she went well in her HSC for that exam, she said that the curriculum teacher told her, AFTER she had done it, that it scaled low and so now she's telling me not to do it :rolleyes: :)

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
ohhh sh*t...how badly is bad? :S...coz im doin society and culture and that scales badly too...oh and i mite drop ext math and ext english so i have no ext units...damn it need to get a high uai tho...
Go here, it should give you a basic idea of how your subjects will scale, but remember it changes every year.
Why are you thinking about dropping your extension courses? if you are capable then you should definitely do them.
Society and Culture doesn't scale that badly, but as we have all been told, do subjects because of your interests and capabilities, not how well they scale.

Originally posted by Estel
For a flash I was thinking of doing Jap. Continuers but then I only did it in Yr8... has anyone done the course in Yr 11 without doing the Jap elective in Yrs9/10 and managed to do well?
Japanese as an elective in yrs 9 and 10 is in general a prerequisite to do the continuers' course in senior years. It says in my subject book,
"Prerequisites: 200-300 hours' study of the language or equivalent."
You could do the beginners course but there is a fairly significant difference in the scaling of the two.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by Estel
Alright.
I'm desperate.
Help.

I've read too much about the slide of Physics and Chemistry to want to do both in the HSC... I'd like to change subject selection for Year 11 even but I really lack choices.

I've kept in mind the subjects I want to do in Yr 12 but due to an irritating rule that states you have to do four or more courses in the HSC, if I want to do History Extension I'll have to do 13 units...

Is that just plain stupid?

I'm out of ideas completely!
piece of advice. RELAX. nothing is that bad!

You can always drop stuff as they go, and i know a lot of people who are doing 13 units. you just need to be organized and determined

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
me doing subj;
english ext. 1
english adv.
mathematics 2u
math ext.1 *dropping in yr12
physics
economics
modern history

exactly 12u!!! was going to add bio or bs but couldnt b bothered studying more, im lazy as it is zZz.....any suggestions on how to study 4 these subj??

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
math ext.1 *dropping in yr12
Its a risky move to pick up a subject like that only to plan on dropping it, you will need to study a bit for it, I would reccommend picking up biology or business studies and not picking up maths ext 1, this would also give you 13 units for your UAI.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Well there goes changing Phys to Jap. Continuers.
Thx for telling me there are lot of ppl doing 13 units, makes me feel a bit better :)

How bout Music 2? Is that an option to people who haven't done the elective? In my piano exams I tend to get nervous for the aural section- esp. singing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)