Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

DT-AR

HSC
Continuing the trend of Subject Selection threads, I would like the communities opinions on my subject choices for Year 11.

1. English Standard
2. Math Standard
3. Investigating Science
4. Physics
5. Society and Culture
6. Japanese Beginners (originally went for PDHPE but didn't want too much workload and heard that PDHPE goes through alot)

My main concern is obviously, Whether or not the workload on these subjects would be a bit too much. But I also heard that for Physics, it is recommended that I have Math Advanced level knowledge at minimum and I am not an Advanced level student. Would it still be possible for me to still do well in Physics even if my Math skills kinda suck?

mzkashi

HSC
lol I made a post just like yours! maybe we need a larger thread
physics, I've heard you can survive with mediocre mathematics, since you have more theory attached?
But has your school allowed you to pick physics at the moment? some require 5.3 as it is high level
I think you will be okay, but keep in mind SAC has a major work which will take up a large chunk of your time

DT-AR

HSC
lol I made a post just like yours! maybe we need a larger thread
physics, I've heard you can survive with mediocre mathematics, since you have more theory attached?
But has your school allowed you to pick physics at the moment? some require 5.3 as it is high level
I think you will be okay, but keep in mind SAC has a major work which will take up a large chunk of your time
Yes my school allows people to pick physics regardless of how good at maths you are.

Regarding SAC, are you referring to the PIP?

DT-AR

HSC
would highly suggest you try out for math advanced and drop if you can't cope with its demands
Unfortunately, That isn't an option for me as Advanced in my school requires the Head Teacher to give the thumbs up for people joining Advanced rather than just letting them in.

mzkashi

HSC
Yes my school allows people to pick physics regardless of how good at maths you are.

Regarding SAC, are you referring to the PIP?
yes, while you can virtually do your PIP on anything on-topic, it can be quite challenging if you don't manage your time well (consistency is key)

DT-AR

HSC
yes, while you can virtually do your PIP on anything on-topic, it can be quite challenging if you don't manage your time well (consistency is key)
Ok that might be an issue since right now, I am very bad at time management.

mzkashi

HSC
Ok that might be an issue since right now, I am very bad at time management.
same here! but I would advice even just putting aside 3-5 hours a week is enough, many people will spend between 50-100 hours
good luck!! I definetely suggest asking any people you may know taking sac about their experience

...xD

HSC
Continuing the trend of Subject Selection threads, I would like the communities opinions on my subject choices for Year 11.

1. English Standard
2. Math Standard
3. Investigating Science
4. Physics
5. Society and Culture
6. Japanese Beginners (originally went for PDHPE but didn't want too much workload and heard that PDHPE goes through alot)

My main concern is obviously, Whether or not the workload on these subjects would be a bit too much. But I also heard that for Physics, it is recommended that I have Math Advanced level knowledge at minimum and I am not an Advanced level student. Would it still be possible for me to still do well in Physics even if my Math skills kinda suck?
Our teacher jumped straight into trig on like the 5th lesson... Be ready to learn new math stuff on the way and you should be fine.

But tbh physics kinda maths, if you're bad at mathing, it would be harder for you to do physics compared to the extension/ advanced mather

HSC
Goes through a lot???
I'm currently accelerating PDHPE (just started Y12 content today :eek:, so if you need advice with PDHPE let me know :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)