Subject Selections 2014 (1 Viewer)

pHyRe

HSC
You're going to have 5 full days if you take phys and chem. just saying.

but 8am lectures are the devil. just go to one weeks worth and you will understand.
good thing i'm doing a comm/scie double degree :D just got 3 comm classes and the 2 3CP maths ones for my first year. hopefully I can organise my timetable to give myself wednesday off...

and yes, 8am class ARE the devil. cant they push it back to 9am, honestly??

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I actually rather the early lectures, it means I can get them out of the way and have the rest of the day free (hopefully my other units don't screw this up too much).

MATH1901/1902 aren't too bad either if you've done 4U (from what I've heard/seen from textbooks). You should be fine.
You'll find that in BSc, it's quite spread out and you might as well have late lectures and get them blocked together.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Knowing me, second sem will probs change but sem 1 I think is gee:

Sem 1:
BIOL 2916-Cell Bio (adv)
WRIT2002-Adv Writing and Rhetoric
GEOS2923-Geo of Cities & Regions Adv
GEOS2111- Natural Hazards: A GIS Approach

Sem 2:
GEOS2921: Environmental & Resource Management Adv
BIOL2922: Biology Experiment Design and Analysis Adv
MBLG2072: Genetics and Genomics
BIOL2024: Ecology and Conservation
WRIT Buddies!!! :D My friend did MBLG2072... thankfully she survived those punnet squares etc. My God! I have never seen such advanced punnet squares... D:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You're going to have 5 full days if you take phys and chem. just saying.

but 8am lectures are the devil. just go to one weeks worth and you will understand.
Oh god.

I take back everything I said.

You'll find that in BSc, it's quite spread out and you might as well have late lectures and get them blocked together.
How late usually do they go to?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Would anyone who did maths/phys/chem or has a unikey/pw be able to post up a sample timetable? I can't see it since I haven't enrolled yet and it would be useful for organising my students times.

studybuddy101

HSC
can anyone give me some advice as to whether i should take ENGG1801 (engineering computing) or INFO1103 (introduction to programming). I'm pretty interested in computing but since i'm planning on doing a physics major i may not be able to take many computing classes in the science/engineering program

HSC
Would anyone who did maths/phys/chem or has a unikey/pw be able to post up a sample timetable? I can't see it since I haven't enrolled yet and it would be useful for organising my students times.
Pracs are usually 2-5 or 10-1.

Basically you're doomed.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Pracs are usually 2-5 or 10-1.

Basically you're doomed.
Oh lawdy, I remember those in first year.

Felt absolutely spent by the end of it but usually the labs finished one hour early.

HSC
Is it impossible to get into MATH1906 with an ATAR of 98.4 instead of 98.5???
No - MATH1906 requires application - variation to the strict 98.5 ATAR and 95+ MX2 requirement are often made if one demonstrates high interest in mathematics.

HSC
Definitely possible. You might need to get special permission, but all you need to do is go to the subject coordinator, get them to sign off on it, and take it to the faculty (you can do this any time, might be a tad difficult on enrollment day when everyone is crazy busy)
MATH1906 and 1907 are special units and do not follow the usual special permission procedures. All students enrol in MATH1901 at first and then in first week there is an announcement in lectures about the SSP. Then interested students go to the info meeting and fill in a form. Then invitations are sent out by Daniel Daners, the SSP coordinator. There are sections for your ATAR, and mx2 mark, as well as a section on why you want to do the SSP. Most students who apply with strong results (not necessarily meeting all the criteria) get accepted. There are about 25 spots.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, I'd like to add that you don't necessarily need to attend the aforementioned info meeting to get in.

I got in without attending it because I was a silly student who didn't pay attention to any important dates. However, I did send in my application of interest the day after the meeting.

They also lower their standards slowly until they meet the ~25 student quota.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
MATH 1901
MATH 1902
CHEM 1901
PHYS 1901

As for the 6cp of elective, I'm not sure if TSP goes towards that or if TSP is actually just the (Special Studies) thing for the subjects. Does anyone know about this?

"Students are expected to attend a minimum of 80% of timetabled activities for a unit of study"
No one told me this. Far out, haha. Do lectures fall under 'timetabled activities'? I thought only tutorials and practicals marked attendance.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
WRIT Buddies!!! :D My friend did MBLG2072... thankfully she survived those punnet squares etc. My God! I have never seen such advanced punnet squares... D:
Omg I LOVE PUNNETT SQUARES! They are like a therapeutic thing for me. Where they like tri ones?

Yay writ buddies, wish I could see when the seminar class is (any day but friday pls, don't take away my beautiful friday off)

ACKAA

HSC
Sem 1

BUSS1002
ACCT1006
BUSS1020
GRMN1111

Sem 2

ACCT2011
CLAW2201
INFS1000
GRMN1122

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)