Subject selections (For accounting majors). (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hello people,

Out of these four possible Accounting units, I was wondering which one would you recommend and for what reason? Or what subject have you already undertaken/are planning to undertake?

FYI, auditing and assurance is necessary if I want to complete my CA. Then I need to choose another Accounting subject, but I'm not sure which. There hasn't been a subject review for either of these, so any help is sincerely appreciated. I'm willing to do whatever is easiest out of the four and interesting, since my WAM is lacking at the moment. :)

Thanks!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi mate,

I personally did ACCT3585 (E Business) because it's a piece of cake especially if you have even a remote interest in the topic. The course content is a tad outdated (e.g. the case studies are from a world when Dell, Cisco and Amazon are #1) but the assignments/presentations are pretty broad and largely group based, and not too technical beyond using some lingo. The readings are also not too bad and the exam was also quite easy given that the class is small, and the lecturer gives a lot of hints. This is one of those 'small tight-knit' subjects whereby there may only be 50-60 people in the combined lecture/tutorial session for 3 hours a week so you must be able to attend them, but they aren't too demanding and may even be enjoyable given that it's not just a case of sitting there watching boring slides. The course structure has probably changed since when I did it but for us, each week a different group of 4 students had to present on the topic based on a briefing/readings, and it was quite enjoyable since some people do acting/skits/etc...

As for the other subjects, you'd probably get more out of 3610 for technical skills but it's nothing you can't learn in industry. If you were dead set on going down a valuations career path, you'd be learning on the job and the only reason you'd do it in uni is because it gives you the option of saying in your interview 'this is how committed I am to this career path- I chose this subject' but realistically, valuations is an area most people transfer into later on rather than joining as a graduate. Global financial reporting has become a bit lame given that most countries use IFRS so you'd just be learning about the history of the different regulatory bodies and the whole principles vs. rules based approaches. I never did this subject but I'm pretty sure I've learnt more in practice from working on US GAAP accounts than I would've at uni- i.e. you learn what you need on the job.

Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)