Subject selections for HSC. (1 Viewer)

deathxawaits

HSC
Anyone else already worrying about class selections and the HSC? I have a week to choose, and I'm having trouble picking courses.

I'm thinking of...

English (advanced)
Maths (general)
Geography
Economics

And then I have no idea. Any suggestions? I'm pretty open to do anything except sciences, I'm trying to get away from those.

HSC
business studies

modern/ancient history

society and culture

pd/h/pe

legal studies

art/drama/music

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
so judging from your subject choices, youre a more humanities type of person
i suggest doing ancient/modern history, business studies, pdhpe etc

deathxawaits

HSC
Yeah, I am a humanities type of person. Thanks everyone for your ideas, I'll definitely be taking them into consideration. I've though a lot about one of the history subjects, I may take one of them.

HSC
deathxawaits said:
Anyone else already worrying about class selections and the HSC? I have a week to choose, and I'm having trouble picking courses.

I'm thinking of...

English (advanced)
Maths (general)
Geography
Economics

And then I have no idea. Any suggestions? I'm pretty open to do anything except sciences, I'm trying to get away from those.

yeah ive been worrying quite a bit aswell. my school's selection forms are due in on friday but its first in best dresses-so they say.

on my list so far ive got:

advanced english
general mathematics
community and family studies
modern history
biology
earth and environmental science (ill be in year 12 for this course next year since im accelerating in this subject this year and next year)

yeah as my backups ive got:

ancient history
chemistry
exploring early childhood (i was going to do this but as its only 1 unit and doesnt count for the UAI i chose not to)

thats all..
anyone got any comments on these subjects??
tegan:wave:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
what do you want to do when you leave school? If you decide to go to uni, and do a science based course then it would be good to do chemistry in yr 11/12.

deathxawaits

HSC
OMG. Some teachers were explaining how the lines work today, and there is one line with barely anything I want in it, but chemistry is in it, so, I may have to choose chemistry; we did it earlier this year, and i loved it but I just didn't do well in it at all. Hopefully, if I do take the chemistry course I will be able to perform well. They put weird subjects in that line, well I'd consider them weird...

deathxawaits

HSC
Stolenhotelpen, your subjects look good. Hopefully you can do them all, and backups if you don't get your first 6.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Not sure yet..

But im thinking of:

English Adv.

Maths Adv. + Maths Ext.

Physics

Chemistry

Engineering Studies or Software Design

deathxawaits

HSC
Wow, everyone seems to be taking the sciences of physics and chemistry, are those courses like, interesting in senior years?

cs01001

HSC
They are in a way, interesting... they are also high scaling course

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Fortify said:
Not sure yet..

But im thinking of:

English Adv.

Maths Adv. + Maths Ext.

Physics

Chemistry

Engineering Studies or Software Design
omg you rock ! lol if you choose ENS and add IPT, you've got all my subjects ! xD

OP; have you considered history's? People find them relatively interesting and since you're not a science/maths person, it's good to think about it. It's only a suggestion ..

HSC
deathxawaits thanx for commenting on my choices
yep hopefully i will get my first 6-but if i get chem or ancient ill be okay with that too!!
.t

Machie Man

in yr erotic fantasies, y hello thur big boii
HSC
N/A
JKhoury said:
I'm also in the same boat as you. Here's what I currently have:

2U Advanced English
1U Extension English
1U Catholic Studies
2U Business Studies
2U Economics
2U Modern History
2U Legal Studies

When I get to Year 12, I want to drop Modern History, move up to 2 Unit Catholic Studies and pickup English Extension 2.

Things are pretty confusing at the moment. :p

Goodluck with your choices :)
hay wow man, the subects you're planning on picking up are pretty much identical to the ones I'm taking now. Except I do Ancient instead of Modern, and 1U Philosophy instead of Catholic Studies.

yr pretty win JKhoury.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
omg you rock ! lol if you choose ENS and add IPT, you've got all my subjects ! xD

OP; have you considered history's? People find them relatively interesting and since you're not a science/maths person, it's good to think about it. It's only a suggestion ..
Thnx for comment =P I was thinking of putting ancient history...

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I was about to do Ancient History, but my cousin told me that you have to remember heaps of things and lots of stories, so that kinda put me off it.
I'm doing:
- Ad English
- Ad Maths
- Biology
- Japanese Continuers
- Economics
- Ext Eng
- Ext Eng

I was orginally going to do Physics instead of Japanese, but my teacher convinced me to do Japanese. And I'm planning to drop Biology in year 12. I hate Biology. Only picking it because theres nothing else to do ><"

S

swith0303

Maths
Extension English
Physics
PDHPE
IPT

I'm so tempted to change them though.
Going to Baulkham Hills High and hearing of all the higher grades, on average, attaining UAI scores of 97+ with the sciences and social science subjects (ie physics, chemistry, bio, legal, economics), has made me.. contemplate and recontemplate my choices. Although, I have recently achieved 96% in IPT and 94% in PDHPE in my half yearly report, looking at my subjects.. i feel as if they arent up to par as compared to say Ext Maths Ext English Physics Chemistry Economics or something of the sort. lol the whole things already getting too hard!

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
swith0303 said:
Maths
Extension English
Physics
PDHPE
IPT

I'm so tempted to change them though.
Going to Baulkham Hills High and hearing of all the higher grades, on average, attaining UAI scores of 97+ with the sciences and social science subjects (ie physics, chemistry, bio, legal, economics), has made me.. contemplate and recontemplate my choices. Although, I have recently achieved 96% in IPT and 94% in PDHPE in my half yearly report, looking at my subjects.. i feel as if they arent up to par as compared to say Ext Maths Ext English Physics Chemistry Economics or something of the sort. lol the whole things already getting too hard!
you will get the uai you want provided you put in the work, just like everyone else. the best chance of maximising your marks is to choose what YOU like and what YOU are good at.

good luck

zzzz12345

HSC
I picked the following subjects:
2 Unit Advanced English
1 Unit English Extension
2 Unit Modern History
2 Unit Chemistry
2 Unit German Continuers
2 Unit Legal Studies
2 Unit Ancient History
I'm a little uneasy about dropping maths as basically my entire school is doing maths (maybe excluding three people). I really wanted to drop maths and felt like I couldn't achieve well in it while on the other hand I really enjoy history. But what are any thoughts on my subjects?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you're not enjoying maths and feel uncomfortable in it, then don't do it. It doesn't matter whether or not only a few individuals aren't doing maths this year. The subject selection is based on what YOU want, and if you don't like maths, don't do it :)

It's great that you're picking subjects based on what you like and will excel in, especially in terms of the history subjects. You might want to consider at the end of Year 11 whether or not 13 units would be too much. Again, it will be your decision as you are the one who truly knows how you're performing in each of your subjects.

To get your desired UAI, maximise your effort and good attitude to each of your chosen subjects. If you put in the hard yards, you're bound to do well.

NB: If you somehow don't enjoy one of your subjects as you progress through Term 1, talk to your career advisers or anyone who you're comfortable with, and discuss whether or not you should drop it to choose another subject. You don't want to do a subject you despise for the next 2 terms ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)