Subject Selections for Year 11 2014 and HSC 2015?? (1 Viewer)

gem19

HSC
Hey everyone,
I'm in year 10 at the moment and am in the process of choosing subjects.
Im looking at doing Law or Commerce at Uni.
These are the subjects I was thinking of choosing

English Advanced
Math Advanced
Math Extension I
Legal Studies
Bussiness Studies and/or Economics
Ancient History
Society and Culture

Does anyone have any suggestions on subjects that I should choose or might help with Law and Commerce, or comments on those subjects. Is it worth doing Bussiness Studies??

enoilgam

HSC
With Law or Commerce, there arent any HSC subjects which will help you a great deal. Like, Legal Studies, Economics and Business Studies will help a bit, but they really dont give you a substantial advantage or anything. If you think you will like the subjects you have picked and think you will do well in them, then you have made the right choice in my view.

Verify

HSC
To be honest OP, do subjects that you think you will do well in for the HSC. Picking subjects solely for the purpose of having a cushion in uni is a bit farfetched imo. And how do you know you'll make it into Law or Commerce?

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest OP, do subjects that you think you will do well in for the HSC. Picking subjects solely for the purpose of having a cushion in uni is a bit farfetched imo. And how do you know you'll make it into Law or Commerce?
I agree. There are some exceptions (i.e. doing maths in High School for Engineering), but generally speaking, most HSC courses dont really help that much with corresponding uni courses. Like, with Legal Studies and Law, it can help a bit for the foundational units and the first few weeks of Criminal Law and some other units, but the advantage isnt that significant. Legal Studies covers only the easiest parts of those Law units.

gem19

HSC
I'm doing Commerce at the moment and quite like it and was interested in doing Accounting at Uni. My marks are pretty good at the moment and my maths teacher has suggested that I do Extension I Maths. I really like the sound of the Economics topics for 11&12, but it usually falls in line with Legal Studies and I was just seeing if it would matter if I did Economics instead of Legal Studies seeing that I wanted to get into Law. I was just thinking perhaps Legal Studies would be beneficial towards the Law degree just to have a small understanding going into the course..

ashbash4210

HSC
I think to benefit your atar so you can actually get into the course, I would recommend not doing society and culture as the other subjects will benefit your atar more substantially, especially economics and ext maths. Choose the subjects that you are best at, so you can get the best atar to get into the course, as what you will learn won't really benefit you too much in uni

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why not do a science subject like Physics or Chemistry; in case further down the road you may change your mind and wish to pursue a course requiring one of these. Legal Studies or Business Studies - you can drop one of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)