Subject selections? Is maths really necessary? (1 Viewer)

cupcake08

HSC
slowjam10 said:
Cupcake08, what did you end up choosing then - just curious:)
i did:
English Advanced
English Extension 1
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Society and Culture
Philosophy

i've always preferred humanities subjects but giving up maths was a big thing as my parents always wanted me to do it. i got advice from teachers, career advisor etc and realised i was better off just focusing on my interests/abilities rather than doing it cause i felt like i had to.

ultimately you have to decide not only whether you have the ability to do well in maths but the motivation to work really hard at it if it is weaker than your other subjects. while maths does scale well, you can definitely still do really well/get a high uai without maths.

hope this helps :) goodluck in deciding!!!

slowjam10

HSC
Thanks for all your help pplz.:) Well i handed in subject form today and well i didn't choose maths yay - so yep. Once agin thanks for your help

So in the end i chose:

2U - Adv. English
1U - Ext. 1 English
2U - Studies of Religion
2U - Ancient History
2U - Modern History
2U - Legal studies
2U - Food Technology

scotty138

HSC
i regaurds to all this bad press about food technology - can i just say i do food tech, i loved it in year 8, 9, 10 (came first in everything). I didnt intend on doing it in year 11 +12 but there was nothing else on the line that i wanted to do at all so i decided to give it a crack. It is now my ABSOLUTE favourite subject and i have decided to become a dietician because of it. my aim is to top the state this year (got 97% in my trial). It is worth something - if u enjoy it, u should be glad u are doing it - because at the end of the day doing subjects u know you will be good at = more band 6's = higher UAI. There is so much writing in food, so if u are good at english you will be good. A lot of the stuff is really interesting. Some parts of nutition are hard, and functional food propeties, there is a lot to remember-if u are good at that you will do great. GO FOOD TECH!

slowjam10

HSC
hey scotty, i totaly agree with you about food tech. I do it now in yr10 and last yr. Last yr i came first in the grade with 97% and i think im still holding my place this yr. In my opinion if your good at it, then go for it. We also have a really great:) teacher for food tech so that halps as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)