Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

janev

HSC
N/A
Okay so i'm new to this thing so i don't really know how this works, but i was wondering if i could get some advice from you guys. I'll be choosing my subjects for Year 11 and 12 in two weeks and i'm thinking of doing these:
3U Maths
Ext1 English
Economics
Legal Studies
= 10 units (these are the subjects that i'm going to stick with for year 11 and 12)
I need another subject to do and i don't know what.. I was thinking of doing Business Studies but everyone tells me that it scales down A LOT.
I was planning to drop a subject in Year 12 so i have less stress and then study my complete ass off for the other subjects. If i chose something like Textiles for my last 2 units and then dropped them in Year 12, would that be bad? I don't know. Different teachers at school are telling me different things and i don't think i completely trust them LOL.
Plus my school was ranked about 191/200 or something like that. I just remember my school was near the bottom which sucks because i heard that you get scaled down if your school is ranked poorly :-(
+ does anyone know if EE1 is worth the work load? I love english but if EE1 isn't worth it, then i may just do adv english.

Thanks in advance for your replies :awesome:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Alright, you may have heard of this already but please don't take into account scaling when choosing a subject. Scaling is simply based upon the quality of the candidature in a specific course. Choose the subjects that you feel you will do well in and also enjoy and take something out of. There is nothing worse then going for a year or two stuck in a subject that you have absolutely no interest in. I believe that your school would have a slight effect upon your ATAR, although it is possible to stay away from this issue provided you perform well above the weight to the majority of the school. I know people who are coming top or close to this in their low ranked schools and many of them score wonderful ATARs because the Board of Studies will not take into account your school once you reach a certain level where they believe, you shouldn't be disadvantaged by.

enoilgam

HSC
I dont think you should lock yourself into subjects for year 12 from now. You will find that you will probably change your mind as the year progresses. At the begining of year 11, I was adamant that I would keep MX1 and SOR II - by the end of the year I dropped both. Dont pick a "bludge" subject because this will minimise your options going into year 12 and as I alluded to earlier you want to keep your options open. Also business studies is a decent scaler.

I think you might benefit from reading this http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=264957.

Edit: School rank has no effect on your ATAR, but the quality of your cohort does. Nonetheless, I am firmly of the belief that if a person puts in the effort, they will do well regardless of whether there school rank is 1 or 600.

I think scaling deserves some consideration especially if you are going for a super high ATAR (i.e. if you want 99+ and your subject combination is Standard english, General maths, Visual arts, Industrial tech and CAFS you should probably consider doing some subjects with higher scaling power). But your subject choices should be primarily driven by your interests and what you are good at.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)