Subject selections (1 Viewer)

Sxmm

HSC
Subject selections will be on in early August and I have two ideas of what I'll be picking (shown below), would love to hear which option I should pick by you guys. One thing I've been seeing is that generally those who do well in Maths Extension (band 6), do extremely well in their ATAR's is this something I should be doing?

Future Profession = Something in the medical field (hopefully)

Option 1#
Not as hard as option 2 - love medicine/science

PDHPE 2 units
Mathematics (advance) 2 units
Advance English 2 units
Chemistry 2 units
Biology 2 units
Studies of religion 2 units

Option 2#
Love maths, been doing well at it but this option is harder - better scaling

PDHPE 2 units
Mathematics Extension 3 units
Studies of Religion 1 unit
Biology 2 units
Chemistry 2 units
Advance English 2 units

(Religion is mandatory because I am attending a Catholic school)

idkkdi

HSC
Subject selections will be on in early August and I have two ideas of what I'll be picking (shown below), would love to hear which option I should pick by you guys. One thing I've been seeing is that generally those who do well in Maths Extension (band 6), do extremely well in their ATAR's is this something I should be doing?

Future Profession = Something in the medical field (hopefully)

Option 1#
Not as hard as option 2 - love medicine/science

PDHPE 2 units
Mathematics (advance) 2 units
Advance English 2 units
Chemistry 2 units
Biology 2 units
Studies of religion 2 units

Option 2#
Love maths, been doing well at it but this option is harder - better scaling

PDHPE 2 units
Studies of Religion 1 unit
Biology 2 units
Chemistry 2 units
Advance English 2 units

(Religion is mandatory because I am attending a Catholic school)
Choose 13 units,
PDHPE 2 units
Studies of Religion 2 unit
Biology 2 units
Chemistry 2 units
Advance English 2 units

Drop down SOR or MX1 if you find either bad.

ahri

HSC
If you want to do something in the medical field, you will be wanting to aim for a higher ATAR. If you're good at math and you enjoy it, highly recommend you go for 3U maths. Doing 3U math isn't a requirement to get a high ATAR but generally, if you're already good at math and you can keep that up, you should be able to do well and score highly.

vinlatte

HSC
Math ext 1 requires a good understanding of math adv content to further explore concepts in similar topics. A lot of the content relates to calculus (differentiation and integration) and physics-related math such as vectors and motion and projectiles. Not really linked to medicine, but it does challenge your knowledge and skills in problem solving.

Since you are keen on ext, do ext anyways. You can always drop if you realise it is too much to handle. Dropping down a level is easier than taking another unit and catching up.

Note, extension courses have different band levels of E1(<50), E2(50-69), E3(70-89)and the highest E4(90+). This is also why the scaling is different, majority are within E3 band.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)