Subject to drop . All 3 sciences (1 Viewer)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I am currently in yr 11 going into yr 12 and need to sort out my subject choices .

I have :
Ext 1. Maths And trying ext 2 maths ( I most likely will drop it because of the time it demands )

Ext English ( definitely dropping )

Adv English

Chem

Phys

French begginers ( would you recommend dropping this subject as it is via long distance , and picking up biology ? I initially dropped it because I wanted to learn about humans and couldn't stand the yr 11 course . People say it's way to much content and not worth it ).

All advice will be great :)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I am currently in yr 11 going into yr 12 and need to sort out my subject choices .

I have :
Ext 1. Maths And trying ext 2 maths ( I most likely will drop it because of the time it demands )

Ext English ( definitely dropping )

Adv English

Chem

Phys

French begginers ( would you recommend dropping this subject as it is via long distance , and picking up biology ? I initially dropped it because I wanted to learn about humans and couldn't stand the yr 11 course . People say it's way to much content and not worth it ).

All advice will be great :)
I don't think you can do biology because you haven't completed the preliminary requirements have you? (i.e. you have to do most of the prelim course, if not half)

shrapnel220200

HSC
N/A
I presume you enjoy science, so I would recommend Bio if your school allows you to do it in year 12. Out of the three sciences- personally- bio is the best. I can't stand phys though :(((

If you are doing well in French, (like 90+ in every test) I would keep it, if not I would try Bio...

The thing with your subject selection is you are already doing such high- scaling, difficult subjects that French can be thought of as a more enjoyable subject compared to the heavy subjects you are doing

Hope that helped :))

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I have decided to do the following:

3 unit english

3 unit maths

phys

chem

( I am thinking of doing 4 unit maths , since i am just trialling it out, but i heard that it is extremely time consuming and don't want to stuff up my other subjects.I am willing to though put in hard work to it... My teachers said i am definitely capable but others are saying to just ace 3 unit)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
i really just want to maximise my marks. I have 2 clashing opinions on the whole, take 4unit maths, don;t do 3 unit english

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I have decided to do the following:

3 unit english

3 unit maths

phys

chem

( I am thinking of doing 4 unit maths , since i am just trialling it out, but i heard that it is extremely time consuming and don't want to stuff up my other subjects.I am willing to though put in hard work to it... My teachers said i am definitely capable but others are saying to just ace 3 unit)
If you're worried that it's time consuming, then I'd suggest you self learn the whole 3U course in the school holidays, so then during the school week, you can focus purely on 4U

Also if you don't get something in 4U, ask right away. Ask people on this forum or your teachers for help

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I was planning to do phys and chem and english during the holidays... Is ext english more work than 4u maths?

RyanT7

HSC
I was planning to do phys and chem and english during the holidays... Is ext english more work than 4u maths?
Ext english is fairly time consuming considering it is just a one unit subject, however I cannot see it being more time consuming than 4u maths in order to do well

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah do that as well as self learning 3U in the holidays

PPL have said 3U english is quite a lot of work for a 1U subject. IDK bc I don't do 3U english

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
@drsabz101 how well do you manage your time and prioritize your subjects?

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I don't ever use a timetable or anything like that (tried and never stuck to it, because I would spend more time on maths usually :)
Overall I am just barely managing my time. I prioritise maths over most of my subjects, and usually end up studying english last, but still get over 95% in it.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I don't ever use a timetable or anything like that (tried and never stuck to it, because I would spend more time on maths usually :)
Overall I am just barely managing my time. I prioritise maths over most of my subjects, and usually end up studying english last, but still get over 95% in it.
Ok since holidays are coming up this is what I suggest you do:

In the holidays self accelerate yourself for english, maths 3U, phys and chem.

For english, read your texts, do research on them (i.e. historical time frame), watch movie interpretations on youtube, look at sample essays, creatives and do brainstorming for discovery. If you have the time, compose a creative and/or essays for AOS discovery

For maths, do half of the HSC course (i.e. the first half of the order of what your school teaches you). Do practice questions starting from MIF, Fitzpatrick and them cambridge and if possible, try to get your hands on harder questions

For phys and chem, I suggest you self learn and make notes for the modules (i.e. make notes for production of materials and half of the acidic environment and for physics, make notes on space and half of motors and generators). Some schools don't tend to follow the syllabus in order for phys and chem so I suggest asking your teachers what you're going to learn next term

When you come back to school focus on the harder content and content that you are weak at. By doing so you won't need to study everything

In the summer 6-week holidays make notes for the rest of phys and chem (including the option topics) and start past papers ASAP

For maths 3U, self learn the rest of the HSC course and do past papers

For english, self learn Module A and Module B and do exactly the same thing that I said for discovery

When you come back to school, study 4U maths and focus on your weaknesses on the rest of your other subjects

In the after term 1 before term 2 school holidays, self learn module C and find a related text

Redo past papers and refine on your weaknesses

For english, practice writing essays and adapting them

Last edited:

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Thankyou @eyeseeyou , for the amazing advice !!!! I will definitely try to accomplish these things ,and keep ext 2 maths and not drop it at least not till after term 4.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Thankyou @eyeseeyou , for the amazing advice !!!! I will definitely try to accomplish these things ,and keep ext 2 maths and not drop it at least not till after term 4.
NWS drsabz101 :)

Remember NEVER FALL BEHIND BECAUSE IT WILL BE DEAD STRESSFUL and NEVER LEAVE THINGS TO THE LAST MINUTE (for me it was dead stressful)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
NWS drsabz101 :)

Remember NEVER FALL BEHIND BECAUSE IT WILL BE DEAD STRESSFUL and NEVER LEAVE THINGS TO THE LAST MINUTE (for me it was dead stressful)
Also remember to teach others so then you can benefit from it as well (i.e. it reinforces what you've learnt). Especially helping out the bottom kids in your cohort to ensure that you have a stronger cohort and that you benefit from what you teach them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)