Subjects contributing to UAI (1 Viewer)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Say I'm doing 12 units, and 8 of these definitely count towards my UAI. As for the remaining two subjects, say I got 90 for subject A and 91 for subject B, both being final HSC marks. So my HSC mark for subject A is lower than that of subject B. But if the scaled mark for subject A is higher than that for subject B, which one would contribute to my UAI? As you know, the scaled aggregate is what's being used to determine your UAI. But when they say "the best 8 units", is that in regard to HSC marks, or scaled marks? Thanks. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The UAI is calculated using the aggregate of the scaled HSC marks.

The Scaled HSC marks (not revealed to students) and the Aligned HSC marks (The marks you see) are the result of 2 independent and different procedures.

As such, if the scaled HSC mark of subject A is higher than that of subject B even though the HSC mark of subject A is lower than subject B then Subject A will count, simply because it is higher than subject B. The calculation of the UAI is based solely on these scaled marks that students do not see.

So, in a way, it's kind of plausible to say that the marks you see at the end of the year aren't a reflection of your UAI as those marks aren't used in the aggregation to calculate the UAI.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Ooh ok :) I was unclear on how they define the "best 8 units" :p That's cool, I was worried that the crapstatic scaling of IPT would make me cheated out of a better UAI if I got a slightly better HSC mark for it than for another subject XP Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)