Subjects for stage 5 (1 Viewer)

crysterial

HSC
Hey yall !!!

okay so i recieved my lines for subjects next year, the highlighted yellow is what i was planning on doing but clearly something isn't lining up. I gotta pick between society n culture and business which is killing me since i wanna do the two lol but would appreciate a second opinion. I was extremely successful as a commerce student which leans me towards business but soc sounds really interesting. tbh my biggest issue is picking something from line 5 since that is absolute crap lol. i havent done hosp or any ancient history since year 7/8 along with that i absolutely despise math and feel as if it would take up a lot of study time (i was in the highest math but i originally didn't select math as a subject so have been moved down and lost my good A streak hahah) A little info is i wanna do law when i leave <3 what's the hospitality exams like is it easy how does it scale help im loosing my mind. soz this is so informal im just a little anxious about everything <31659432495534.png

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
I would probably pick business studies of the two, however I don't take either of the subjects. For line 5, I would recommend taking maths, whichever course you decide to choose

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I second mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa's suggestion of taking Business Studies because not only is your performance in year 10 Commerce is of a high standard (which could be a positive indication if you were to take Business Studies), but this subject also covers legislation relevant to different areas of business, especially in the HSC course, which I believe would be a nice addition to the content covered in Legal Studies. Examples include:
  • The Fair Work Act 2009 as part of the Human Resources topic
  • The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 as part of the Marketing topic
Unless you are certain that your interest in Society and Culture exceeds that of Business Studies, the latter is likely the better option, given that it aligns with your subject selection and your future study interests more closely.

Regarding Hospitality, given that it is a Category B subject (and so is Mathematics Standard 1), I think it would be reasonable to suggest that it does not scale high. Of course, scaling should not deter you from taking this subject, particularly if you are interested in it. However, if you decide to take a maths subject despite the fact that you despise maths, I think that Mathematics Standard 1 could be a good choice since it is likely the easiest and consequently the least time-consuming subject. If you would rather take a Category A subject, then you could take Mathematics Standard 2, the content of which is not very different to that of Mathematics Standard 1 as far as I am aware.

I hope this helps! 😄

HSC
Hey yall !!!

okay so i recieved my lines for subjects next year, the highlighted yellow is what i was planning on doing but clearly something isn't lining up. I gotta pick between society n culture and business which is killing me since i wanna do the two lol but would appreciate a second opinion. I was extremely successful as a commerce student which leans me towards business but soc sounds really interesting. tbh my biggest issue is picking something from line 5 since that is absolute crap lol. i havent done hosp or any ancient history since year 7/8 along with that i absolutely despise math and feel as if it would take up a lot of study time (i was in the highest math but i originally didn't select math as a subject so have been moved down and lost my good A streak hahah) A little info is i wanna do law when i leave <3 what's the hospitality exams like is it easy how does it scale help im loosing my mind. soz this is so informal im just a little anxious about everything <3View attachment 36013
I’d suggest business studies. It seems like you’re a lot more interested in it, plus your past success will most likely help you flourish in the subject. Society & Culture is a good subject, but it’s honestly really content heavy and complex, if you’re not interested in it, it’ll definitely become a nuisance and you won’t enjoy it as much as you would business studies.

HSC
visual art AND visual design? seems like a really exciting combo - didnt know that was possible i guess every schools different but I will say that visual arts gives you a much more broad and open scope than visual design. visual design would go under art tbh as your artmaking practice isnt limited. also yea id agree i would take business studies personally. also good choice with sor 1 but i would also suggest taking sor 2 if you are bothered with it - it does scale very well IF you do well (obviously dont choose subjects based on scaling ever).

sp0ngeb0b

HSC
hi there! this is relatively late but I hope this helps nonetheless. As someone who has done Business Studies but not Society and Culture, business studies is very textbook based whilst society and culture you have to complete a PIP (Personal Interest Project) which is your major work in your HSC year. I’ve had friends who took Society and Culture and it requires long-term dedication and it is absolutely not something you can rush last minute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)