Subjects for the HSC -To those who did CAFS + Senior Science + Extension History (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
My apologies if this is in the wrong place because I don't really know where to put it but anyway, right now I'm in Year 11 and I'm doing .. sort of well I suppose, 80%+ for all of my subjects that I can move around [i.e. drop etc]. I'm doing Modern + Ancient History, CAFS and Bio right now and I have the option of dropping one 2U subject but I'm not sure which to choose.

I'm considering dropping Biology because it's getting difficult for me and it's only going to get increasingly difficult and I don't know whether or not I'll be able to handle it so I thought of changing it to Senior Science. From what I've seen, I'm interested in what we'd be learning as it correlates to life more though I've heard the scaling is really bad [well, not bad but hard] because it's relatively easy. Generally speaking, 90%+ as a min. to do well. It's also going to be an offline class so before school and such so it won't interfere with my other subjects and I'll have extra periods throughout the day.

I was considering dropping CAFS because it's going into early childhood etc. And there will be times where we have to focus on babies [I'm not a big fan] and take a .. I don't know, replica of a baby home to 'look after' plus we have to do a big project that takes about 4 months to complete and I'm not good with big projects because of my terrible time management skills plus presenting that report and having to go out and research + interview/ question people, I'm not looking forward to that at all.

At the same time, I've been told to consider doing Extension history as I'm doing considerably well in Modern + Ancient history. I don't really know how hard it's going to be but I've heard it scales high and I doubt that I'm going to fail or do poorly in it as history is generally my forte.

So yeah, those are my concerns, plans, worries or whatnot. Tell me whether or not the things I've said are correct and give any suggestions/ thoughts?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
History is a huge workload, full stop. You need to be consistently working throughout the year due to the amount of historical subjects you have chosen.

I'd say drop CAFS, esp if you aiming for a high ATAR. You don't want one of those stupid babies. Trust me.

zmccu3

HSC
probably drop CAFS. it's insanely boring, albeit easy.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
My apologies if this is in the wrong place because I don't really know where to put it but anyway, right now I'm in Year 11 and I'm doing .. sort of well I suppose, 80%+ for all of my subjects that I can move around [i.e. drop etc]. I'm doing Modern + Ancient History, CAFS and Bio right now and I have the option of dropping one 2U subject but I'm not sure which to choose.

I'm considering dropping Biology because it's getting difficult for me and it's only going to get increasingly difficult and I don't know whether or not I'll be able to handle it so I thought of changing it to Senior Science. From what I've seen, I'm interested in what we'd be learning as it correlates to life more though I've heard the scaling is really bad [well, not bad but hard] because it's relatively easy. Generally speaking, 90%+ as a min. to do well. It's also going to be an offline class so before school and such so it won't interfere with my other subjects and I'll have extra periods throughout the day.

I was considering dropping CAFS because it's going into early childhood etc. And there will be times where we have to focus on babies [I'm not a big fan] and take a .. I don't know, replica of a baby home to 'look after' plus we have to do a big project that takes about 4 months to complete and I'm not good with big projects because of my terrible time management skills plus presenting that report and having to go out and research + interview/ question people, I'm not looking forward to that at all.

At the same time, I've been told to consider doing Extension history as I'm doing considerably well in Modern + Ancient history. I don't really know how hard it's going to be but I've heard it scales high and I doubt that I'm going to fail or do poorly in it as history is generally my forte.

So yeah, those are my concerns, plans, worries or whatnot. Tell me whether or not the things I've said are correct and give any suggestions/ thoughts?
Drop Biology if the content is actually too challenging for you. If that isn't the case and it's just your current circumstances or something related to time management, keep it. By the time of the HSC, you will be studying hard for each subject regardless of what your original plan was (e.g. 'this subject won't count, it's my worst')

Otherwise, drop CAFS. In order for it to increase your ATAR you'll have to smash it and lacking interest won't help you win that fight.

History Extension does not scale 'high.' In fact, it scales pretty terribly in relation to the maths/sciences and even some of your higher order humanities subjects. Try it out as there is no harm in doing so. While many people complain about the workload and difficulty of the subject, if you find that you have the natural ability and fluidity in writing that is of high value in the course, I would suggest keeping it as it can be very interesting and not as 'difficult' as some make it out to be. To each his own. Good luck. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)