Subjects for Year 11 and 12, help please? (1 Viewer)

Alex242

HSC
N/A
?!

You only need 12 units - so you drop chem, and don't do anything else.
My School gave us a document that states "Students must complete at least 13 Preliminary units (Year 11) and at least 10 HSC units (Year 12)"

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Ide say you should start year 11 with the 14 units. Workout what you interested in and doing well at... then drop down to 12/13 units. Year 11, is all about trial n error, doing more units simply helps you out in the long run by not limiting your options, especially when your in year 10, and may wish to change down the track. However, i would reccomend dropping down to 10/11 units for the HSC in year 12.
Thankyou for the advice! I will take it into consideration

Thief

!!
HSC
My School gave us a document that states "Students must complete at least 13 Preliminary units (Year 11) and at least 10 HSC units (Year 12)"
Ohh that's unfortunate.. I guess you have to stick with all your subjects, unless you want to drop english ext.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't believe you people - it's like "omfg 14 units its too hard".

I did 14 units and it's fine. You just have to time manage yourself.

You know the time when I said "enough is enough"? 16 units. After a term of 16 units - I said "nope, can't do it. sorry."

I know others in my grade who would've died with 11. So really, it's a personal choice.

Thus, my advice is: try it. And if you don't like it - then you drop it.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
If you dont want to drop Math, then pick 2U Mathematics, no point in doing General Math.
Only do general, if you're really not that confident with maths (you should know by now from your junior years, how well you are at maths), but still need some form of maths for your career, e.g. industrial designer or some TAFE course that requires basic measuring. They look for at least general maths, in those types of courses.

If your heading for uni, depends what you want to do, if you need something to 'fill up' your units, but don't really want to go towards too much trouble in studying. Then go for general.

However, if your looking at a career pathway that relies on maths heavily, I strongly suggest Mathematics or greater. E.g. for engineering degrees, mathematical, accounting (financial), or computer science.

Having said that, I had a friend, who started off on 2unit maths, but dropped to general in year 12, did a bridging course at uni, and now studies engineering with no troubles. (But I guess that's entirely dependent on the individual, and whether you're up for cramming most of the Maths ext1 course within 2 weeks).

Different people on here, have different performance levels for maths, but from my perspective, I found 2 unit Mathematics (advanced), to be quite a solid journey. You have to put in LOTS of time and dedicate **a lot** of effort to do well (i.e. at least band 5).

Hope that helps, feel free to pm me for more advice. Good luck with your HSC! and always keep determined!

kurama-amanama

HSC
I would recommend sticking with 14 units, I did 15 for Year 11 and handled it fine so it can be done. That being said I'm still doing 13 for the HSC so it really is a personal choice. The main thing I would advise is dropping down by at least 2 units to Year 12, a lot of my friends tried to pick up extensions from 12 units in Year 11 but had to drop because they couldn't cope with the workload, whereas I'm doing 13 fine because I was doing more in Year 11. So in short, DO 14 UNITS and if you can't cope drop down. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)