• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subjects to choose/keep till HSC (1 Viewer)

..07hscer..

HSC
Hey there yr 11,

Before dropping certain subjects next term, have a quick look at what University's have to offer. By keeping certain subjects and getting the necessary mark's it can actually improve your chance of making into the course that you wanted.

There are new "bonus points" systems available out there, which can be acquired by doing the relevant subjects to the relevant degrees, by also achieving certain criteria (i.e. band 5 in maths etc.)

Here's a thread that was made in the HSC forumn section,

So if you really want journalism for e.g - see what subjects could get you what points etc.

Note: it's not available for medicine and optometry

UNSW does it, they call it HSC plus
UTS as well has it, called "hsc bonus"
ANU has the UniTEST its a test you do which can help your admission chances
MAcq has the UniTEST as well
UWS has the Regional bonus scheme(check your postcode in the table) and The bounus points for subjects, as well
USYD Id actually call up and see what subjects could get you bonus points if they offer

here's the thread - in it, is the links as well.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/671/general-discussion-2007-hsc/152880/hsc-plus-uni-test.html

After searching for what course you would like to/are intrested in, maybe it will alter, perhaps, what subjects you choose/keep (as back-up) as it will help you to achieve your goal, if you miss the dreaded cut-off's.

Enjoy

edit: (band 5: 80-89 and band 6:90-100)

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
zy said:
i'm dropping ipt regardless.
Dropping the best subject ever?

Well, maybe I just like it because it's just me and 3 of my friends in the class :D

lcx

HSC
lol y r u droppin ipt?? well reli u onli need to be able to write and do well in it, and its not lik complex essay writin or anythin, jsut short answers to senarios, very easy to do well. so u probly shouldnt drop it. but it doesn scale as well as other subejcts in terms of uai

dan.121212

HSC
fopr u guys who know - i currently doe conomics, chemistry and physics among otehr subjects - but i need to drop one of those 3 due to having too many units (14)

im doing extremely well in all of them so my question is not which one to drop (yeh i know im the only one who knows the answa to that), but:

1. if i do physics and chemistry, dropping economics all together, will that limit my UNi opportunities?

2.In doing 1 science (EITHER chem OR physics), does that limit my uni opportunites?

by 'uni-opportunites' im talking about assumed knowledge - in know about bridging coureses but i just wanna know in general

thx a heap

cs01001

HSC
Always better to take a broad ranged of subjects, but really, I see very few course that requires Economics. More courses require Chemistry than Physics. I would keep Chemistry and Economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)